Domodossola microfilm?

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
Garbo

Domodossola microfilm?

Post by Garbo »

I'm trying to figure out if there are any microfilms for records from the town of Domodossola (Piedmont/Verbano-Cusio-Ossola Province). There is no listing in LDS online catalog; the town has a website that has a page regading their historic archives which (from what I can decipher) seem pretty comprehensive but no idea whether I'd be able to access them without going there. Before I start trying to contact them directly, just thought I'd ask if anyone might know a shortcut. Guess I've been lucky -- up until now I've found everything right in my own back yard!
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Re: Domodossola microfilm?

Post by wldspirit »

There are many towns in Italy which have NOT been microfilmed...... :(
I also did a place search using single and combination terms, the only thing to turn up was a map of the area.
Your options are to write for records, visit in person... :wink:
or hire a researcher in Italy.

I would ask Suanj if the area you are inquiring of has had any changes over the years.......example.....all records in Talamello were held by Talamello, at some point in time, Novafeltria now holds records.
wldspirit
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

Thanks for the ideas! :) From my vague translation of the archive info, it looks as if Domodossola is a repository for records from many of the smaller towns surrounding it, so I think what I need will be there. Guess I'll get started on contacting the archives directly. Maybe they will know of a local researcher who can help.
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

After many inquiries to Talamello over a period of several LONG months, to which I never recieved a reply... :cry: ....I myself had to hire a researcher. Given Suanj's vast knowledge and her credibility here at Italian Genealogy, I hired her in May and recieved the birthacts of both my Nonni and Nonno today!!!!!! :D :D :D
She went one step further and personally called my cousins there in Italy!!
As it turns out, one of them has pictures of Nonni and Nonno when they last visited in 1955, and they would like to have pictures sent to them of myself, my children and the remaining elders!!!!
After many months of anxiety......I have a happy ending!!!!!!!
wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi wldspirit: send me your pictures, why your cousins here wait its.. so I can to call again and to receive the picture of your ancestors; when I have I send you by email...kisses, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

So nice to hear about a happy ending. I think I need to do a little more leg work before I hire someone. The marriage record for my great-grandmother lists her town of birth but her parents are listed as 'Ignoti' (unknown), even though I know that's not true, and I have several different versions of her birth year from different sources. I'd be willing to sift through a bunch of different years of records myself, but it's all a little vague for a researcher. I think that maybe her parents didn't approve of the marriage, and the paperwork may have been fudged as a result so who knows if anything in it is accurate. A big dead end mystery for now. :( Hopefully I can get some more info from my grandmother and great Aunt, at least to come to consensus on her birth date. Maybe then I will be ready for Suanj's help!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

if you know the birthdate or almost birthyear of your ancestors, you can ask an search in birthplace, and please to say also that are listed as son or daughter of IGNOTI, why this birth record are in another birth registry, not in normal birthregistry... I think that in Domodossola are the old birthregistries, no microfilmed, why this town for an time's period untill around 1945, was an particular town/state; so is possible that all registries are of property only of the Domodossola common.. regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Garbo

Post by Garbo »

Thanks, Suanj! I don't know why, in our family everything has to be a big secret :roll: When I get more information I will contact you for help!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok, but here are many member that can help you; insert all data that you have in this moment and perhaps, with good luck, and with help of all, we can find .......
ciao (bye) suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Suanj, sending you PM later this evening.......
have a great day!!!!!!
hugs and kisses,
wldspirit
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ok thanks! kisses(many many), suanj

Visit my website: