GIACOMETTI from Piemonte

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DonnaC

GIACOMETTI from Piemonte

Post by DonnaC »

Hello,

I am trying to verify or eliminate a family connection to Alberto GIACOMETTI, the sculptor.

My grandmother was Maria Luigia (Louisa) GIACOMETTI b. 25AUG1902 in Ceres, Italy d. 07MAR1964 in Saginaw, Michigan USA. She married my grandfather Alessandro Pietro Albino POMA in 1922 in Ceres. They came to the US in 1929 with their two children Marta (my mother) and Sergio.

Maria Luigia (Louisa) GIACOMETTI
f: Guiseppi GIACOMETTI b. 03MAR1869, d. 14SEP1948
m: Maria Orsola Teresa GIACOMETTI b. 08SEP1876, d. 20OCT1951

Giuseppi GIACOMETTI
f: Giacomo GIACOMETTI b. unknown, d. unknown
m: Luigia Maria POMA b. unknown, d. unknown.

Maria Orsola Teresa GIACOMETTI
f: Francesco GIACOMETTI b. circa 1836, d. unknown
m: Clara PEROGLIO b. unknown, d. unknown.

As you can see I have two GIACOMETTI lines to research. I know that Alberto GIACOMETTI was born in Stampa, Switzerland. My grandmother spoke of her family visiting Switzerland. I don't know why they would, other than perhaps to visit family(?) since they were poor farmers. I also know that Alberto did spend some time in Italy.

If you have any GIACOMETTI information to share I would appreciate it.

Donna
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: GIACOMETTI from Piemonte

Post by paola52 »

Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
Linda B

Re: GIACOMETTI from Piemonte

Post by Linda B »

Hello Donna

I have come across your grandmother's name in my research and wondered if she is related - I think it must be so as my grandparents came from Ceres also. My grandmother was Felicita Giacoletti b. 30 May 1902 in Ceres, her mother was Mary Magdalena Giacometti, daughter of Giuseppe Giacometti and Christiana Giacoletti. To say the Giacometti research has left me pulling my hair out is an understatement. It is so convoluted. My grandfather was Silvio Buggia and his mother was Guilia Giacometti, daughter go Giacomo. how the Giacomettis in my family are all related I do not know. My grandmother stated she was Alberto Giacometti's cousin (1st, 2 nd, 3rd?). As my grandparents were cousins also - how I again do not know. As I became interested in genealogy long after my grandparents died, I have no one to ask these questions. My grandmother told me when she was a little girl her family would spend the summers in Switzerland as her father would sheer sheep and cut lumber. She remembers staying at her "cousins" house and one of the cousins she played with was Alberto. She said he was "a mama's boy" and was not impressed with him! My research also has a Caterina Peroglio (d. 1893) marrying Domenico Buggia (d. 1908), they were my grandfathers grandparents. Also related to Poma's. did Alessandro Poma have a sister named Margaret? My grandmother's brother Giuseppe(Joseph) Giacoletti married Margaret Poma (daughter of Frank and Pierina) both were born in Ceres. They lived in Hemlock.