Paperwork needed to move to Italy with my family for 1 year

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dgeorge

Paperwork needed to move to Italy with my family for 1 year

Post by dgeorge »

Hello all. My wife recently had her appointment in the NY consulate to acquire her Italian citizenship. The appointment went very well, they took all of her paperwork, and they indicated she and my son will be recogized as Italian citizens in 5 or 6 months. This of course was a complete shock to us, as we expected the consulate to make her run around do extra work, this being NY and all. In any event, we would like to move to Italy as a family for a year to see how my son asimilates into the culture. If it goes well, we plan on making the move permanent. My question(s) is this:

I know I have to apply for citizneship separately and I already have an appointment for June of next year. Is there a way to move to Italy for a year with my family after my appointment yet not be a recognized citizen? Will a "family visa" do the trick for me for the year?

Also, if all goes well we would not be moving until late next summer. So, if I had my appointment in June and all looked good, I understand I am looking at up to a 2 year wait until citizenhip is granted to me by the folks in Rome. Would a move to Italy after my appointment in June mess up my bid for citizenship through the NY consulate?

Thanks for any and all input. I appreciate it!
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Paperwork needed to move to Italy with my family for 1 y

Post by jennabet »

Without being an Italian citizen yourself, you have a right to remain in Italy forever as long as you are married to an Italian citizen and not separated from her.

If you plan on moving to Italy soon, it would be best to put off your own citizenship application because you must apply where you and your wife have legal residency.
dgeorge

Post by dgeorge »

Thanks for the response, but what type of paperwork will I need to produce in order to be let into italy and then again back into the U.S.? Just a regular passport or a visa of some type. Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Your wife would have to ask for a family Visa for her husband once she gets her Italian passport. There is not much you can do until then. Usually the visa is issued three months before the travel date.
rjnigro
Rookie
Rookie

Post by rjnigro »

You would probably want to have your marriage certificate, translated, apostille, and authenticated by the NY Consulate in case you want to proceed with your application outside of the NY Consulate's jurisdiction
corrado
Elite
Elite

Post by corrado »

your wife should regiester your marriage in her comune. You will then have a Italian marriage certifiate. You will also need this when you apply for your naturalization.
dgeorge

Post by dgeorge »

My wife did have our marriage certificate authenticated, translated, and appostilled during her application and the NY consulate accepted it without question. Wouldn't that mean as part of the process, they would forward it onto the comune for registration in the commune's files?

Thanks!