Where to get military records?

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
alidacastorano

Where to get military records?

Post by alidacastorano »

Can you please direct me on where to go for getting Italian military records? Is there a link with more directions?

My grandfather, Gregorio Zambuto Sitra, was here in the US in 1907, then left in 1915 to Italy and fought in the war. He returned to the US in 1919.

I'd like some information about him and where he served, etc. My mother always told the story of how he was considered a traitor. I don't know if she meant here in the US or in Italy when he returned.

Thank you for any help!
Alida
~Alida
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Where to get military records?

Post by erudita74 »

Military records would be housed in the state archives for the province in question, which I believe from your other post is Agrigento Province, Sicily.

http://www.archivi.beniculturali.it/UCB ... =AGRIGENTO

E-Mail: as-ag@beniculturali.it

There is information at the following thread to help you-
http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/topic16953.html
alidacastorano

Post by alidacastorano »

Thank you for the quick reply.
I will follow your suggestions.
~Alida
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

THere is a family tree on ancestry.com for Gregorio Zambuto Sitra he was born in 1879 , Girgenti, Agrigento, Sicily they have his birth record on ancestry.com
Here is a email for you to send for his military record

ARCHIVIO DI STATO DI AGRIGENTO
E-Mail: as-ag@beniculturali.it

OGGETTO: Richiesta esito di leva di Gregorio Zambuto Sitra classe di nascita 1879.

Gentilissima Signora, Gentile Signore,
La ringrazio anticipatamente di voler comunicare i costi di spese di riproduzione e postali per ottenere l'esito di leva di: Gregorio Zambuto Sitra di Pasquale Zambuto Sitra e Calogera Fardella nato a Girgenti, Agrigento il 29-04-1879.
Se non avete i registri corrispondenti, potete fornire l’indirizzo dell’archivio dove in cui i registri possano essere trovati?
Vi prego di informarmi se sia possibile ottenere delle fotocopie dei vostri registri.
Vi ringrazio in anticipo per il vostro gentilezza e premura.
Distinti saluti,
YOUR NAME ADDRESS EMAIL

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
alidacastorano

Post by alidacastorano »

Marty,
Thank you so much! That tree on Ancestry is mine. I posted the birth certificate that I found through Ancestry and the Latter Day Saints. I've been researching the family for years and now I've like to find out more about my grandfather, why he went back to Italy and what happened there. My mother has said he went back to get a son from his first marriage but his son was born here. Would he have gone back just to defend Italy in the war or was he afraid he would be considered a traitor there? Was he called a traitor when he returned? I have so many questions and maybe getting his military records will help.
Thank you for taking the time to translate a letter for me. It is greatly appreciated!
~Alida
alidacastorano

Post by alidacastorano »

Just received the records from Agrigento. I thought it was very fast!
I understand most of the record as far as name, parents, DOB, description, etc. but the last page does not make sense to me. It says something about a brother Salvatore. Why the date 1899? Gregorio went back during WWI. I'm a little confused and translating the handwriting is impossible.
Here is the third page of the document.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alidasphot ... /lightbox/
Thank you for all your help.
Alida
~Alida
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

A draftee could ask to be substituted by a brother or another near relative. This practice was called "surrogazione di fratello". You can see those words on the top of the page, column n. 14 Seemingly Gregorio asked to be substituted by his brother Salvatore, but the request was refused, because Salvatore was already in the Milizia territoriale(Territorial Army, a sort of Home Guard or Reserve)
At the end of WWI every able man was called in the army, older men and eighteen year boys . My grandfather (born 1890) was in the war and told me many stories about these terrible months
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
alidacastorano

Post by alidacastorano »

Oh, thank you so, so much! I tried using Google translate to understand it all but it didn't make sense. I could see it was about a brother Salvatore which I found very interesting. My mother said there was a brother Salvatore but I can't find his birth certificate.
Thank you again. This forum has been so helpful. You have no idea how much I appreciate all your help.
Ciao,
Alida
~Alida
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

:D Happy to help !
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin