Assist reading names

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nimby5956
Rookie
Rookie

Assist reading names

Post by Nimby5956 »

Can you tell me, looking at this document, who the parents are?
There are so many names, I'm not sure which belongs to who...
http://tinypic.com/r/n5ribd/6

Thank you in advance
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Assist reading names

Post by erudita74 »

what town is this document from?

The father is the informant in the record. His first name is Lorenzo, but I can't decipher his last name. Knowing the town would be helpful.
Larry Parker

Post by Larry Parker »

Nimby, and anybody else that wants to look at this image, I rotated and fixed up the photo, but it's still difficult to decipher the handwriting. I am sure one of the bilingual experts from Italy will be able to figure out the names and the other details, such as Lorenzo's age, which I think is 30.

http://imageshack.us/a/img213/7205/nimbyl.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thank you for rotating and clearing up the image. I had tried that last night, but still was having trouble with the surnames of the father and mother. I am giving this my best shot, but am not sure that the surnames are correct. It still would be helpful to know the name of the town, as I still am unable to decipher it.

Record is dated Sept 13, 1816 at 10 P.M.

Appearing was Lorenzo (possibly Macchia???), age 30, contadino (peasant/farmer) who reported that at 10 P.M. on the 12th, in his own house, an infant was born to his legitimate wife, Lucia Carlucci (?), daughter of deceased Martino, and was given the name of Nicola Donata.

Witnesses to the presentation at the town hall were: Giusepp'Angelo Bartolomio, age 45(?), a peasant/farmer, and Lorenzo Gagliardi, age 70, a peasant/farmer

The informant and two witnesses signed with the sign of the cross, as they did not know how to write.

BTW, a lot of us who do translation work on this forum are not in Italy or are not Italian born.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

erudita74 wrote:Thank you for rotating and clearing up the image. I had tried that last night, but still was having trouble with the surnames of the father and mother. I am giving this my best shot, but am not sure that the surnames are correct. It still would be helpful to know the name of the town, as I still am unable to decipher it.

Record is dated Sept 13, 1816 at 10 P.M.

Appearing was Lorenzo (possibly Macchia???), age 30, contadino (peasant/farmer) who reported that at 10 P.M. on the 12th, in his own house, an infant was born to his legitimate wife, Lucia Carlucci (?), daughter of deceased Martino, and was given the name of Nicola Donata.

Witnesses to the presentation at the town hall were: Giusepp'Angelo Bartolomio, age 45(?), a peasant/farmer, and Lorenzo Gagliardi, age 70, a peasant/farmer

The informant and two witnesses signed with the sign of the cross, as they did not know how to write.

BTW, a lot of us who do translation work on this forum are not in Italy or are not Italian born.
I think the surnames are Maschio and Carlucci

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think the surnames are Maschio and Carlucci
Marty

Marty
I think the surname definitely ends in the letter "a" and not in the letter "o." Look at the endings of "sindaco" and the name "Lorenzo." The surname definitely does not end the same way as these. Can you make out the town name, as I think that would help to clarify the surname?
Erudita
Larry Parker

Post by Larry Parker »

Wikipedia shows that the Province of Bari has 46 towns. In the handwritten town name, it looks like the second and third letters are an o and an r. Looking through the Town names in Bari, the only one that looks like a possible match is Toritto.

Macchia is a surname from Toritto, so I think Macchia is the correct transcription. The handwriting does look like a poorly written Macchia.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks for all of your assistance, Larry.
Erudita