Spousal citizenship process in NYC

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Spousal citizenship process in NYC

Post by Donald66 »

Is anyone familiar with the process of getting Italian Citizenship for my wife?

My son and I are registered with the Consualte and have our passports already.

I read somewhere that my marriage license needs to be recorded in Italy 1st? Is that correct??

Further, what is the the process for obtaining background reports? I believe we need a local PD report, a CT State Police report and an FBI report. Can these be ordered online?
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spousal citizenship process in NYC

Post by roobyred »

Yes, your marriage license must be registered in Italy first as well as your birth certificate if you were born in the US.
roobyred
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Spousal citizenship process in NYC

Post by roobyred »

Donald66 wrote: Further, what is the the process for obtaining background reports? I believe we need a local PD report, a CT State Police report and an FBI report. Can these be ordered online?
I'm in process of doing this for my husband and I live in NY. If I remember correctly, for the FBI report, you can print the application from the web but once fingerprinted you need to mail everything to West Virginia. When you receive the clearence letter, that gets mailed to the US Dept of State in DC for the apostille. For NYS clearance, he was fingerprinted & photographed in WP and they sent it directly to Albany (I think). He is now waiting for clearance. Good Luck!
Hope this helps. Roberta