"Cittadinanze" Record

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
JOHN08
Master
Master

"Cittadinanze" Record

Post by JOHN08 »

I have just ordered a FHL microfilm that contains a "cittadinanze" record. I know the translation for "cittadinanze" is citizenship; however, I am not sure what kind of information this record may contain.

Any detailed information about a "cittadinanze" record would be appreciated.

John
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: "Cittadinanze" Record

Post by liviomoreno »

erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

JOHN08 wrote:I have just ordered a FHL microfilm that contains a "cittadinanze" record. I know the translation for "cittadinanze" is citizenship; however, I am not sure what kind of information this record may contain.

Any detailed information about a "cittadinanze" record would be appreciated.

John
My understanding is that it's a residency record and may indicate the procedure an individual went through in order to become a "resident" or "citizen" of a particular town. I have viewed some that indicated the length of time the individual had already been living in the town, in which he was requesting permanent residency. I have also viewed some which indicated that other family members were relocating with the prime individual named in the act. As far as I know, these acts were about permanent relocation and not about seasonal migrations because of work.

Erudita
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

I believe these are records of people from other countries who are applying for Italian citizenship. If they were born in Italy they don't need to go through this process.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Italysearcher wrote:I believe these are records of people from other countries who are applying for Italian citizenship. If they were born in Italy they don't need to go through this process.

I just reviewed some of these records for the year 1888 from the Sicilian town of Castell'Umberto in Messina Province Sicily. There are only three such records for that year. In two of them, the individuals were requesting a transfer of their residency from the Messina Province town of Tortorici to the town of Castell'Umberto. In the third, the woman was requesting a transfer of her residency from the Messina Province town of Ucria to Castell'Umberto. So, during the 1800s, at least, these type of records were about requests to permanently transfer one's residency from one town to another. These had nothing to do with people born outside of Italy.

Erudita