Sanseverino name - likely places to look in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Sanseverino name - likely places to look in Italy?

Post by suanj »

thanks for kind words; happy of help you!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, I found this arrival of Maria Cuozzo and 2 daughters: Rosa age 2 and Vincenza age 1

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Maria Cuozzo
Name: Maria Cuozzo
Arrival Date: 19 Nov 1886
Birth Date: abt 1864
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian
Place of Origin: Italy
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Destination: New York
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Britannia

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

better: Vincenzo (male), age 1..
This Maria Cuozzo and children coming from Padula, because the other travellers have surnames of Padula;
I found a Vincenzo SANSEVIERO born in Padula on 16 Feb 1885 #24, son of Raffaele Sanseviero and of Maria Cuozzo this child is the same on the ship's manifest
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

suanj wrote:better: Vincenza (female), age 1..
This Maria Cuozzo and children coming from Padula, because the other travellers have surnames of Padula;
I found a Vincenza SANSEVIERO born in Padula on 16 Feb 1885 #24, daughter of Raffaele Sanseviero and of Maria Cuozzo this child is the same on the ship's manifest
suanj
I know that in USA the surname was Sanseverino; no doubt in all records found.. but the only Maria Cuozzo arrival that I found is the ship's manifest posted previously....
and this Maria Cuozzo had 2 daughters immigrated, Rose and Vincenza.. the husband was Raffaele Sanseviero.. strange coincidence or what? the birth act below
could be abt your Jennie???

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 6:n2239815
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

suanj -
Thank you again! I did not know that the Morse site did more than immigration. And it "connects" to the italiangen site that I tried, without success. (I do not know how you do it, but I am very grateful....)
Now....do you have Any suggestions for how to find out where they came from in Italy, since it is Not Padula?
In the meantime, the family --and I -- are very appreciative for finding out so much about their "ancestors".
kniuhart
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the ship's manifest by ancestry.com;
abt Padula:

We do not know as it was originally the surname in Italy both are very similar: Sanseviero/Sanseverino and the only Maria Cuozzo arrival (that I found) coming from Padula.
The mother name, Maria Cuozzo, you find it where? what document? as you know her name? In USA she appearing Maria Sanseverino.
I searched in Padula births from 1880 to 1884 and no a Rosa Sanseviero... but on the ship's manifest she was 2 old... so must be born around 1884 or so.. in 1885 was born Vincenza; the age matching with your Jennie Castellano...
It is possible that they really were born in Padula?
the mother maiden name can give us a clue... Maria maiden name was Cuozzo or no? maybe on the death certificate can be the her parent's names... as a well on Raffaele death certificate...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

The family gave me a typed "copy" of death certificate which gave names of her parents as: Ralph Sanseverino & Marie Cuozzo. That also had date of birth 12/26/1882 and that she came from Italy. The typed "copy" of request for naturalization had name Rosina Lentino, born 25 December 1882; emigrated to U.S. on "Bergunda", last foreign residence was Padula, Italy; arrived at Port of NY on or about June 1, 1884. (she "became citizen 11/23/1925 at age of 42".)
When I looked through the census records, sometimes it had her arrival as 1887 (& sometimes even later); below is WWI registration record for husband Vincenzo Lentino.
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/7047/1918e.jpg
Below is 1905 census for "James" Lentino & family, which shows Ros as being in county 18 years & age 22.
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3407/1905y.jpg
In 1920 census it shows her as coming in 1910!
http://img90.imageshack.us/img90/3407/1905y.jpg
In Padula, I had searched for a Raffaele Sanseviero, and I did Not get a connection with a Maria Cuozzo. (The Rosa I found was born different year to Giuseppe Sanseviero & Anna Trezza & I traced them back to 1600's -- but there's not a connection!!)
At least You found a Maria Cuozzo coming to NY with children named: Rosa & Vincenza. That Has to be right....it's too much coincidence!
Okay, I send this to you now -- and go and look for that birth of son Vincenzo to the "right couple"!
kniuhart
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

suanj -
I found the 1885 birth of girl Vincenza; I admit I was first only looking for Rosa/Rosina in Padula -- since You had not yet shown me the other family names!!! And I was mostly looking Before 1884.....
But still I do not now find other births, or marriage. This could sound like they were from somewhere else, & came to Padula & left from Padula after Vincenza was born -- but where would they be from?
One interesting note -- soon after arrival to NY, they bought a saloon or liquor store, with a mortgage, but neither could read or write, had to make x for their mark. So they must have had Some money...maybe before they came? I know that all these Italians, most of whom seem to have been "laborers", worked very hard and it was not too long before they purchased a home.
Still--- puzzle.
Thank you So much for all your help; you seem to find answers where there were None before!
kniuhart
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

suanj --
I just looked through births 1880-1889, for any to Raffaele Sanseverino -- OR to Maria Cuozzo before marriage. I found no other births in Padula. (I also checked P.Brando's website for Padula people, nothing seems correct there either.)
kniuhart
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that on June 1884 arrived in USA Raffaele; I believe that the ship's manifest is right; and also Vincenza birth record; maybe Rosa born in different commune, as a well the parents... no rare;
so Cuozzo is the right maiden name of Maria.
abt the money I know not why Raffaele had money... better to search in Padula births before in 1880 just for to be sure, because sometimes the ages on the ship's manifest is uncorrect...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

suanj - Thank you for your recent answer, as well as the rest!
I will look for more.....
Question: are there any other records online for "close" communes to Padula? Where you think I should look?
(I have searched Tarsia in Cosenza for other family members (Caputo & Russo); but not much else, so far....)
kniuhart
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi found a trip of Vincenza Sanseviero Castellano born in Padula on 1885 back in the USA, in Brooklyn NY, joining at her husband Luigi.
With children Rosa and Antonio Castellano. Next of kin in Italy the father in law Antonio Castellano in Sant'Angelo Lombardi ( Avellino province):
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0347%2ETIF
That confirm the Vincenza birth act found and the maiden name...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
michele68
Rookie
Rookie

Post by michele68 »

There is another village with name Padula, it is in province di Teramo. There there are Sanseverino and Cuozzo
GENEALOGY SERVICES in Campania, Basilicata, Calabria regions, Italy
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, again me;
I found the 1892 census of Raffaele:
Raffaele head 30 old ( b. abt 1862 IT)
Mary wife 27 old ( b. abt 1865 IT)
Rose daughter 7 old ( b. abt 1885? IT)
James son 6 old ( b. abt 1886? IT)
Jennie daughter 4 old( b. abt 1890 ? USA)

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=10936415
the children ages are wrong....
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

Suanj -
You continue to astound me! So there was some kind of 1892 census for them -- (what strange name was it under, I wonder???) It looks like James (who is maybe Vincenzo??) was shown where Jennie (Vincenza) should have been, in the order of childrens' births.

So could Jennie's trip mean that was where either her mother or father came from? And that was how she "found" her husband?

Michele78 mentioned province di Teramo; is that close by?
I still have many questions....but I am so happy for the answers I already have.
kniuhart