"Sala" - place in Calabria?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

"Sala" - place in Calabria?

Post by kniuhart »

I am researching in Padula, Salerno. Rosario Cuozzo, (ca 1744-1824) had lived in Padula, his death record (1824 #19 image 36) said he was born in"Sala" & his parents had lived (stayed) in Sala; they were Salvadore Cuozzo, bracciale, & Anna Garone.
Can someone please tell me where Sala is; and can it be researched online?
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
kniuhart
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: "Sala" - place in Calabria?

Post by erudita74 »

kniuhart wrote:I am researching in Padula, Salerno. Rosario Cuozzo, (ca 1744-1824) had lived in Padula, his death record (1824 #19 image 36) said he was born in"Sala" & his parents had lived (stayed) in Sala; they were Salvadore Cuozzo, bracciale, & Anna Garone.
kniuhart
Possibly this is referring to Sala Consilina which is in Salerno Province. None of these records are online, as far as I know. Microfilms would have to be rented through a local family history center.

Italy, Salerno, Sala Consilina - Civil registration

Indice decennale (nati) 1866-1875 Nati 1866-1893 Family History Library INTL Access Services Window 2016157

Nati 1895, 1894, 1896-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1885 Family History Library INTL B1 Access Services 2016158

Pubblicazioni 1886-1910 Matrimoni 1866-1894, 1904-1910 Indice decennale (matrimoni) 1866-1875 Morti 1868, 1866-1880 Family History Library INTL Film 2016159

Morti 1881-1894, 1904-1910 Family History Library INTL Film 2016160 Item 1

Erudita
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

Erudita --
Thank you for your quick response -- although, of course, it was Not what I hoped to find out. (I have been "spoiled" with the easy access of so many records, nowadays....)
Your information is Most helpful, thank you.
kniuhart
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kniuhart wrote:Erudita --
Thank you for your quick response -- although, of course, it was Not what I hoped to find out. (I have been "spoiled" with the easy access of so many records, nowadays....)
Your information is Most helpful, thank you.
kniuhart
Having these online records is certainly spoiling all of us, but I spent years renting microfilms and going to local family history centers to view them. I'm sure eventually these Sala films will be online too, but who knows when? Sorry I didn't have better news for you concerning them.
Erudita
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

Erudita --
Yes, I spent well over 10 years, going 40 miles each way, several times a week, to view the microfilms in the closest LDS center. But --- the Excitement of finding a Name! wow!
It's still there today....just much quicker.
kniuhart
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kniuhart wrote:Erudita --
Yes, I spent well over 10 years, going 40 miles each way, several times a week, to view the microfilms in the closest LDS center. But --- the Excitement of finding a Name! wow!
It's still there today....just much quicker.
kniuhart

You might try emailing the parish priest there since you need info on such early ancestry. I think he might was the one who helped my husband's cousin years ago and was very receptive to research of ancestors from Sala.

Here is the parish website with his email address:

http://www.cantelmi.it/

Erudita
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

Thank you so much!
I hope he will have no trouble with the English -- because I sure cannot do "the italian".... :)
What a fantastic idea!
kniuhart
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kniuhart wrote:Thank you so much!
I hope he will have no trouble with the English -- because I sure cannot do "the italian".... :)
What a fantastic idea!
kniuhart
I sent you a private message.
Erudita
kniuhart
Rookie
Rookie

Post by kniuhart »

Erudita -- Thank you for your help. It is Most appreciated!
kniuhart
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kniuhart wrote:Erudita -- Thank you for your help. It is Most appreciated!
kniuhart

I hope it works out for you. Keep me posted.
Erudita
dpgalante

Post by dpgalante »

kniuhart wrote: 26 Mar 2013, 00:15 I am researching in Padula, Salerno. Rosario Cuozzo, (ca 1744-1824) had lived in Padula, his death record (1824 #19 image 36) said he was born in"Sala" & his parents had lived (stayed) in Sala; they were Salvadore Cuozzo, bracciale, & Anna Garone.
kniuhart
This Sala is definitely Sala Consilina in the Vallo di Diano in Salerno, Campania. I also have ancestors from this town. I have been looking through marriage records and have seen many Cuozzos. You can see all the records available online here: https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm glad you've been able to determine that Sala Consilina in Salerno is the correct town, and yes, the records are online at familysearch.org, but you will only find them if you search the name of the town in the catalog. Once you do, you can then access each of the 4 films by clicking on the camera icons off to the right.

There are other towns that, if you search the name in the catalog, have these camera icons after the microfilm descriptions, yet familysearch.org has not listed them under Italy and the list which they show as being available online. So my advice to those searching on this forum-do search a town name in the catalog on that website, and you might discover that your town's records are, in fact, accessible online. I also have no idea how long the records for Sala have been available online.

Erudita
garonedw

Post by garonedw »

I have been actively researching the Garone surname in Padula, and just recently more in Buonabitacolo and Sala Consilina. My great grandfather Paolino Garone (b. 1859) came to the US in 1882, his brother Antonio (b.1855) went to Sao Paolo, BR. They were 2 of the 10 children born to Gerardo Garone (b.1823) who was 1 of 6 children born to Michele Vincenzo Garone (b.1799). Michele and Francesco Garone have been the only 2 children I have found born to Feliciano Garone (about 1770). Don't hesitate to reach out to me if I can be of any assistance in your research. I'l check my files for Sala Consilina and see if Anna Garone comes up.