Birth Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
kevden123

Birth Record Translation

Post by kevden123 »

I need some help in translating my great grandfather's birth record. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Denise
Attachments
Antonio Zaino Birth Record Page 2.jpg
Antonio Zaino Birth Record Page 2.jpg (661.06 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
Antonio Zaino Birth Record Page 1.jpg
Antonio Zaino Birth Record Page 1.jpg (314.3 KiB) Viewed 1310 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Translation

Post by erudita74 »

kevden123 wrote:I need some help in translating my great grandfather's birth record. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Denise

The entire right side of the record is not visible, but I believe the following is still correct:

The infant Antonio Zaino was born on July 24, 1874 at 6 P.M. in the house located on Contrada Boschi (in Santo Stefano del Sole). The informant, his father, was Pasquale Zaino, the son of Antonio Zaino, age 27, a tenant farmer. His wife, the infant's mother, was Catarina Fiore, the daughter of deceased Stefano Fiore.

Witnesses to the declaration of the birth, and presentation of the infant, were Antonio Luciano the son of Angelo Luciano, age 26, a tenant farmer, and Carmine Fiore, the son of deceased Vitantonio Fiore, age 48, also a tenant farmer.

Erudita
kevden123

Post by kevden123 »

Thank you very much for your help. Also, do you think that Carmine Fiore might have been related to Catarina Fiore?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kevden123 wrote:Thank you very much for your help. Also, do you think that Carmine Fiore might have been related to Catarina Fiore?

It's difficult to say. On marriage records, witnesses are often produced by the groom and bride and may be relatives or at least people known to them. On death records, informants are sometimes relatives and their relationship to the deceased may or may not be stated in the record. On birth records, however, they may just have been individuals who served as witnesses at the town hall and had no relation to the parties involved. Their fathers had different names, so possibly their fathers were brothers, but I don't know how common the surname Fiore was in the town. If a common surname, it may just be a coincidence that the surname of the one witness is the same as the mother's. Only further research on your part might answer this question. Also, if you can view the records that preceded and came after this one, you may find that the witnesses were the same, and therefore were just individuals who hung around the town hall and served as witnesses as needed.

Erudita
kevden123

Post by kevden123 »

Thank you for all of the helpful information.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

kevden123 wrote:Thank you for all of the helpful information.
You're very welcome.

Erudita