Another Translation Please

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Another Translation Please

Post by sinatra101 »

Can I get a translation for the marriage record in the lower right page - Lamantia & Picardi. I am also trying to see if they mention the couples ages and/or where both parents were from?

Thanks,
Frank

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1482410064
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Another Translation Please

Post by erudita74 »

sinatra101 wrote:Can I get a translation for the marriage record in the lower right page - Lamantia & Picardi. I am also trying to see if they mention the couples ages and/or where both parents were from?

Thanks,
Frank

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1482410064
Hi Frank
The record is dated Feb 27, 1794 (date of marriage).

The banns of marriage were made on the 16th, the 23rd, and the 24th of Feb and did not result in any legitimate impediments to the marriage.

Groom: Maestro (his title meaning master of his trade) Benedetto la Mantia, the son of deceased Ignazio and dec. Catarina la Mantia (her maiden name is not used in the record). They were all of Monte.

Bride: Catarina Picardi, the daughter of Andrea and Filippa Picardi (again no maiden name for her mother). They gave their consent to the marriage. They were from Monte.

Witnesses were Saverio Messina and Giuseppe Cannizzaro, both of Monte.

Erudita
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Post by sinatra101 »

Thank you, I appreciate it.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Benedetto la Mantia parents marriage act
INDEX #52
1758 Aug 6 in Monreale church of Santa Maria Nuova marriage of
Ignazio La Mantia son of Francesco la Mantia and Rosa la Mantia married to Catarina di Verdi(la Mantia) daughter of Giuseppe di Verdi and Benedetta di Verdi
Italy, Palermo, Diocesi d...Church Records, 1531-1998
Monreale
Santa Maria Nuova
Matrimoni 1753-1763
Image PG 71 of 149
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

adelfio wrote:Benedetto la Mantia parents marriage act
INDEX #52
1758 Aug 6 in Monreale church of Santa Maria Nuova marriage of
Ignazio La Mantia son of Francesco la Mantia and Rosa la Mantia married to Catarina di Verdi(la Mantia) daughter of Giuseppe di Verdi and Benedetta di Verdi
Monreale
Santa Maria Nuova
Matrimoni 1753-1763
Image PG 71 of 149
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty
I believe the date on this record is Aug 12th, not the 6th. Should be the same day as the record right before it. The banns of marriage were on June 29th and July 2nd and 9th and resulted in there being no legitimate impediments to the marriage. Catarina's father was deceased but her mother was living. Witnesses were Maestro Ignazio Giruzza and Giuseppe Risicato of Monte

Erudita
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Post by sinatra101 »

Thank you both. Very helpful. But there is one thing I can't find. I can't locate the birth/baptism date for either Benedetto LaMantia nor his wife, Catarina Picardi? I found many siblings for Benedetto under Ignazio and Catarina but nor their dates. Any Help? Thanks, Frank
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

sinatra101 wrote:Thank you both. Very helpful. But there is one thing I can't find. I can't locate the birth/baptism date for either Benedetto LaMantia nor his wife, Catarina Picardi? I found many siblings for Benedetto under Ignazio and Catarina but nor their dates. Any Help? Thanks, Frank

You're welcome, Frank.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Frank
One thing I am learning by going through indices for Latin church records is that infants in baptism records were given multiple first names at baptism. In my one town, an infant is sometimes, but not always, indexed under each of those "first" names. In your town, the record may only be indexed under the very first name which appears on the baptism record. So, if the ancestor used Benedetto as his first name in his marriage record, for example, that may not have been his actual first name under which his baptism record is indexed. So if his name in his baptism record was Gaspare Baldassare Benedetto La Mantia,the parish may have indexed his baptism record under Gaspare, and not under Benedetto, despite the fact that Benedetto may be the only first name which appears in his marriage or death record. So you then need to check all baptism records for all males with the La Mantia surname in the indices during a specified period of time and may find his baptism record that way. I know it's more time consuming, but I am being successful with searches this way for my own ancestry.

Erudita
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Post by sinatra101 »

Thanks but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any variation of Benedetto under his parents Ignazio & Catarina. I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks, Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

sinatra101 wrote:Thanks but unfortunately, I wasn't able to find any variation of Benedetto under his parents Ignazio & Catarina. I guess I'll keep trying. Thanks, Erudita
The other thing it may be a clerical error Benedetta /Benedetto there is a lot of Benedetta la Mantia's in that time frame

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Post by sinatra101 »

Thanks Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#64
1775 Feb 10th Monreale church of Santa Maria Nuova
Baptism of Catarina Picardi, the daughter of Andrea and Filippa Picardi
Monreale
Santa Maria Nuova
Battesimi 1774-1777
Image PG 44 of 139
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
sinatra101
Elite
Elite

Post by sinatra101 »

You found her, thanks Marty.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

adelfio wrote:INDEX#64
Monreale
Santa Maria Nuova
Battesimi 1774-1777
Image PG 44 of 139

Marty

This is not Catarina's baptism record. This is the baptism of a male infant-un fanciullo (which means young boy) by the name of Castrenze Benedetto Vincenzo Picardo (o and not i at the end of the surname). Correct parents though. Godfather was Vincenzo, son of Luciano and Lorenza Milazzo of Monte. Birth and baptism on the 11th.

Erudita
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

erudita74 wrote:
adelfio wrote:INDEX#64
Monreale
Santa Maria Nuova
Battesimi 1774-1777
Image PG 44 of 139

Marty

This is not Catarina's baptism record. This is the baptism of a male infant-un fanciullo (which means young boy) by the name of Castrenze Benedetto Vincenzo Picardo (o and not i at the end of the surname). Correct parents though. Godfather was Vincenzo, son of Luciano and Lorenza Milazzo of Monte. Birth and baptism on the 11th.

Erudita
I apologize for that mistake I looked through to many records yesterday
Thanks for the back up Erudita
Here is the right one
1776 April 11th bottom left record

Marty

Marty