Surnames Albanese/Tripoli/LaRosa of Bagheria, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Surnames Albanese/Tripoli/LaRosa of Bagheria, Sicily

Post by skooter555 »

Hi,

I am doing a family genealogical project for my family roots originating from a small city known as Bagheria in the province of Palermo. I know little to nothing about old Italian documents and where exactly they are archived, and frankly do not know where to start with my Italian family genealogy. Some of the family surnames that I am trying to trace are Albanese, Tripoli, and LaRosa. Below I have provided some information about several of my ancestors, and of course it has the margin of inaccuracy with each progressing generation, so some of the following people may or may not have correct information. The two people that I do in fact have solid information on though would be my great-grandparents Onofrio Albanese and his wife Christina Albanese (Tripoli) who were married on June 22nd, 1909. I do know that Onofrio immigrated over to the United States on April 16th, 1909 and resided in Milwaukee, Wisconsin with his younger brother Carmelo, and shortly after his wife Christina also immigrated over with her 5 children (Salvatore, Providenza, Giovanni, Silvestro, Carmelo) at the time in around the 1920s. If anyone would be able to provide information about any of the following people or the necessary means to locate and possibly receive copies of old vital records from the township of Bagheria and its surrounding outskirts, any morsel of information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Tyler Radtke

LIST OF ANCESTORS
Onofrio Albanese (great-grandfather)
B: August 19th, 1881 (Palermo, Italy)
D: November 28th, 1943 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Christina Tripoli (great-grandmother/ wife of Onofrio)
B: July 10th, 1892 (Palermo, Italy)
D: April 8th, 1948 (Milwaukee, Wisconsin)

Salvatore Albanese (great-great grandfather)
B: ? (Italy)
D: ? (Italy)

Providenza Cartagirone or Caltagirone (wife of Salvatore Albanese/ mother of Onofrio)

Salvatore Tripoli (great-great grandfather)
D: 1942? (Bagheria, Italy)

Antonette LaRosa (wife of Salvatore Tripoli/ mother of Christina)
D: 1942? (Bagheria, Italy)

Dominico LaRosa (great-great-great grandfather)

Rosa Bolonga (wife of Dominico LaRosa/ mother of Antonette LaRosa)
D: 1915? (Bagheria, Italy)
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Surnames Albanese/Tripoli/LaRosa of Bagheria, Sicily

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website

Birth record of Onofrio Albanese
INDEX#433
1881 Aug 21st in the town of Bagheria in house on via Spano #31 birth of Onofrio Albanese son of Salvatore Albanese age 31 farmer and Providenza Cartagirone age 26
Sidenote says married Christina Tripoli June 22 1908
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:Welcome to IG website

Birth record of Onofrio Albanese
INDEX#433
1881 Aug 21st in the town of Bagheria in house on via Spano #31 birth of Onofrio Albanese son of Salvatore Albanese age 31(1850) farmer and Providenza Caltagirone age 26 ( 1855)
Sidenote says married Christina Tripoli June 22 1908

POSSIBLE BIRTH INFORMATION OF SALVATOR ALBANESE
Name: Salvadore Albanese
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 18 Oct 1849
Birthplace: Bagheria, Palermo, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Onofrio Albanese
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age: 30y
Mother's Name: Cristina Viscuso
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age: 30y

POSSIBLE BIRTH INFO FOR Providenza Caltagirone
Name: Providenza Caltagirone
Christening Date: 16 May 1854
Christening Place: Bagheria, Palermo, Italia
Birth Date: 15 May 1854
Birthplace: Bagheria, Palermo, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Silvestro Caltagirone
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age: 37y
Mother's Name: Anna Rizzo
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age: 32y
YOU WILL HAVE TO FIND THE MARRIAGE RECORD I FIGURE 1875-1880 TO VERFIY THIS INFO
Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Marty,

Thank you so much! I am shocked that you were able to find my correct ancestors. Do you happen to have any further information on Christina Tripoli (my great-grandmother)? She was born on July 10th, 1892 or 1891 also in Bagheria, Italy. I'm very curious as to where you are getting this information. Do you know where I can find more records about these people or even order my great-grandfather's birth record myself? Sorry if it seems that I am bombarding you with many questions, but I am just so interested in my family genealogy, and was excited to see that someone replied to my inquiry.

Thanks so much again,
Tyler Radtke
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

skooter555 wrote:Hi Marty,

Thank you so much! I am shocked that you were able to find my correct ancestors. Do you happen to have any further information on Christina Tripoli (my great-grandmother)? She was born on July 10th, 1892 or 1891 also in Bagheria, Italy. I'm very curious as to where you are getting this information. Do you know where I can find more records about these people or even order my great-grandfather's birth record myself? Sorry if it seems that I am bombarding you with many questions, but I am just so interested in my family genealogy, and was excited to see that someone replied to my inquiry.

Thanks so much again,
Tyler Radtke
On familysearch.org website you have to join at no charge safe site

Italy, Palermo, Palermo, ...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910
Palermo
Bagheria
Nati, pubblicazioni, matr...adinanze, morti 1880-1890
Image PG 128 of 2027

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1727749032

Marty

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Thank you Marty! Do you know if I am also able to mail for a request of a vital record in Italy? I read online that if you mail a letter translated in Italian to one of the local comunes in Italy then they will send you back a certificate taken from the actual record. The reason I am asking this is because I would assume that the microfilmed documents from Bagheria available through the Family History Library, although they may have a lot of records, most likely do not document all of the records from that particular region. Have you ever tried this before, or do you know someone who has done this and had success?

Thanks,
Tyler
skooter111996@gmail.com
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

skooter555 wrote:Thank you Marty! Do you know if I am also able to mail for a request of a vital record in Italy? I read online that if you mail a letter translated in Italian to one of the local comunes in Italy then they will send you back a certificate taken from the actual record. The reason I am asking this is because I would assume that the microfilmed documents from Bagheria available through the Family History Library, although they may have a lot of records, most likely do not document all of the records from that particular region. Have you ever tried this before, or do you know someone who has done this and had success?

Thanks,
Tyler
skooter111996@gmail.com
I would get all my records available here first before I go writing for records The records on familysearch are the same records that the town has and the rest of the records are on film Registri dello stato civile di Bagheria (Palermo), 1820-1903 Births, marriages, deaths, banns, marriage documents, miscellaneous documents from the civil registration office in Bagheria, Palermo, Italy. Text in Italian

Marty

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Still looking for Cristina's birth record here is her parents marriage record from family search
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1727749032

INDEX#115
1887 Nov 20th in the town of Bagheria marriage of Salvatore Tripoli age 23 born in Bagheria son of Giovanibattista Tripoli and deceased Christina Mineo married to Antonia La Rosa age 22 born in Bagheria daughter of Domenico La Rosa and Rosa Bologna

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage record of Salvatore Albanese and Providenza Caltagirone
INDEX#56
1879 July 1st in the town of Bagheria marriage of Salvatore Albanese age 29 farmer born in Bagheria son of Onofrio Albanese and Cristina Viscuso married to Providenza Caltagirone age 25 born in Bagheria daughter of Silvestri Caltagirone and Anna Rizzo
PAGE LINK

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1328397044

More info but would have to get the marriage act on film from Family History Library to verify which name is right Vincenza or Viscuso
Onofrio Albanese, "Italy, Marriages, 1809-1900"
Name: Onofrio Albanese
Birth Date: 1817
Birthplace:
Spouse's Name: Cristina Vincenza (VISCUSO )
Spouse's Birth Date: 1822
Spouse's Birthplace:
Spouse's Age: 27
Event Date: 13 Feb 1849
Event Place: Bagheria, Palermo, Italy
Father's Name: Salvadore Albanese
Mother's Name: Maria Prestigiacomo
Spouse's Father's Name: Carmelo Vincenza (VISCUSO)
Spouse's Mother's Name: Ignazia Tomasello
Race:

Heres the page link to more siblings
https://familysearch.org/search/record/ ... 3Abagheria~

Marty

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Marty. Thank you for the marriage records of both pairs of my great-great grandparents. It's crazy to think that I've been using familysearch.org for some time now, and I never thought there even was a microfilmed collection of records from Bagheria! Also, do you know if these records are indexed in any way so that you can just look up a surname and find records, or have you had luck just looking through each and every record?

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

skooter555 wrote:Hi Marty. Thank you for the marriage records of both pairs of my great-great grandparents. It's crazy to think that I've been using familysearch.org for some time now, and I never thought there even was a microfilmed collection of records from Bagheria! Also, do you know if these records are indexed in any way so that you can just look up a surname and find records, or have you had luck just looking through each and every record?

Thanks,
Tyler Radtke
Some record years are indexed at the end of the year you are searching. It seems like the records of Bagheria go Nati(birth) pubblicazioni,(publication of marriage) matrimoni,(act of marriage) cittadinanze,(citizenship) morti (death)in that order for every record year. The year of marriage record of Salvatore Albanese and Providenza Caltagirone was 1879 it didn't have a index
With Cristina Tripoli birth record I don't think that is the right birthdate

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I did find the marriage allegati of Salvatore Tripoli and Antonia La Rosa which contains a lot records of the marriage couple
1864 April 17th in the town of Bagheria birth of Salvatore Tripoli son of Giovanibattista Tripoli age 26 (1839)and Cristina Mineo age 20 (1844)
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n400949220

1865 Oct 11th in the town of Bagheria birth of Cristina La Rosa daughter of Domenico La Rosa age 38(1827)and Rosa Bologna age 34(1831)
PG LINK

1868 March 7th in the town of Bagheria death of Cristina Mineo daughter of Gioachino Campagnolo no mother listed husband of Giovanibattista Tripoli
PG LINK

Marty

Marty
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Thank you so much Marty! From your generous help I am now able to go back two generations farther then I originally could, and with dates and records to document my ancestors lives through history. One thing I should say is that you are right about my great-grandmother Christina Tripoli's birth date being wrong. It turns out I accidentally typed that she was born in the year 1892 on my family tree, but on her headstone it is inscribed that she was born in 1891. I believe that she may have been born on July 10th, 1891, but it could possibly be off by one or two days, because for instance on my great-grandfather Onofrio Albanese's WWII Draft Registration he listed that he was born on August 19th, 1881, but on his Italian birth certificate that you posted earlier it lists that he was born on August 21st. Christina Tripoli also had 4 younger siblings: Rosa, Giovanni Baptist, Caterina, and Dominico (translated to Dominick when he immigrated to the U.S.).

Tyler
skooter555
Rookie
Rookie

Post by skooter555 »

Hi Marty,

Just a quick question. Do you happen to know why on my ancestor Christina Mineo's death record it lists her father as having a different last name? Would this name differentiation mean that she was married before and that her maiden name is not Mineo? Also, do you know if FHL has microfilmed records of Bagheria deaths occuring after 1900. The reason that I am asking is because there is a story that has been passed down the generations in my family over the years, and it is believed that my great-great grandfather Salvatore Albanese was murdered by the Mafia during the WWI years. Salvatore was married to Provvidenza Caltagirone, and his murder is the alleged reason as to why my great-granpa and his children immigrated over to the U.S.

Thanks,
Tyler
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hi Tyler! It's a small world....I also have ancestors from Bagheria (all the way back to the mid-1700's) and my Great Grandmother was also born in Bagheria in the 1880's on VIA SPANO..# 28 I think...and then in 1900 moved to MILWAUKEE WI! So our ancestors were probably neighbors back in Sicily...and maybe even knew each other here! So cool!

Gina