Cox in Italy?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Cox in Italy?

Post by Amansolillo »

I was researching death records from Caserta on microfilm yesterday and I noticed that there were quite a number of Coxes in Marzano. However, Cox is undoubtedly not an Italian last name, and England and Wales are near Italy, so for what reason would this last name exist in Italy? I've noticed the same thing with the last name Vasquez in Sicilian comuni as well.
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Cox in Italy?

Post by PippoM »

In Italy there are quite a lot of people with surnames of Spanish origin, owed to Spanish dominion over several centuries, in the north as well in the south. Suche surnames can take on various spellings, adapted to Italian writing conventions.
There may be also some English surnames, expecially starting from the 18th century on, deriving from people who came for commercial or military reasons (I found a lot in Naples area).
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Amansolillo wrote:I was researching death records from Caserta on microfilm yesterday and I noticed that there were quite a number of Coxes in Marzano. However, Cox is undoubtedly not an Italian last name, and England and Wales are near Italy, so for what reason would this last name exist in Italy? I've noticed the same thing with the last name Vasquez in Sicilian comuni as well.
According to this website...it is probably of French origin
http://www.cognomiitaliani.org/cognomi/ ... 003cot.htm
COX
COXE
Entrambi probabilmente di origini francesi, Cox è presente in particolare a Roma, Coxe, estremamente raro, è del cuneese e savonese, dovrebbero derivare dal cognome francese Cox, a sua volta derivato da un soprannome, che sembrerebbe volesse significare fanfarone, ma anche seduttore.
T.
Amansolillo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Amansolillo »

I just realized that I had meant to say that England and Wales are not near Italy. What could alternate Italian spellings of Cox be (as Pippo mentioned)?
Towns of interest: Panni, Itri, Ceprano, Pontecorvo, Prata Sannita, Canicattini Bagni