Daniels family of Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DanielsofSicily

Daniels family of Sicily

Post by DanielsofSicily »

Good after noon, I am Reginald daniels Jr, of northern BC Canada, and we are trying to find our family from Sicily, and I don't have much info on the Daniels there, and was wondering if any one on her can help me and all i know is that my Grandfather was born in Usk,bc Canada in 1910 and married sarah M. Clayton, I don't know if anyone know the name Harry Daniels that moved to Usk, BC and I am george Daniels grandson, and my dad is Reginald S. Daniels sr, and he was born in 1942, all we know is that Daniels that moved from Sicily Italy is linked to us in BC Canada, and we are all chiefs in this area and want to share our life with our other side, and hope some one can help me and we are Bc native call "Gitxsans" that live in Kitwancool and Kitwanga, BC and you can contact me at ***@***.com, if you have info please let us know we would like to talk with you and I also know we mit be linked to Daniels of Bayeux, I don't know what that is at all and hope some one can give me info on that thank you Reginald Daniels Jr Wing Chief of house of Wi'seks,
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Daniels family of Sicily

Post by pink67 »

Hi, welcome to the forum :D

Just to understand better... Your grandfather was George Daniels, born on 1910 in British Columbia, son of Harry Daniels, Italian?.. What records do you have about Harry? Do you have George's birth act?

Laura
DanielsofSicily

Yes we do have his records, and he was born in 1910 in USK, BC, out side of Terrace, BC, and my uncles have all his certificates and he was a Sargent major in the Angilican Church in Kitwanga, BC, he was one one the bosses on the rail roads yes my grandfather was Italian? his brothers are Joe, harry, lenorad, sister name is Jane Derrick (daniels) and my uncles are Phillip George Daniels jr, and harry daniels, Doug Daniels, my Dad Reginald Daniels, we have little of the other side of my Grandfathers and want to know more about the italian side and hope we can find more of his family and we have a large family here and hope we can find his side, thanks for the letter of concern and hope and we know for a fact that we do have strong ties to Sicily, and if you can go to youtube and look up Gitxsan Dancers and you will see how our dance and songs are and my uncles and his side are high chiefs in this area, and talk later, reginald Daniels Jr. wing chief Wi'seks house

I will get more info for you!!
DanielsofSicily

Goerge also had another brother harold Daniels
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you for the update...
Being your grandfather's name Harry Daniels not an italian name I was wondering if you have sure proves about his italian origin. For example a death certificate, possibly his first and lastname were "anglicized"? Did he marry in BC? Do you know his parent's names? Do you know when he arrived in BC?
It's important for your research to collect the canadian documents which state he was italian, maybe his death certificate lists his correct place of birth.

Laura
DanielsofSicily

yes he was born in 1910 in USK BC, George Phillip Daniels, and yes my other grandfather Harold Daniels lived in Kitwanga, and is placed in Kitwanga village cemetery, OK I was talk with my other uncle Jasper Daniels the old son son George Daniels, and HIS Mom was Anne Or Annie Daniels, and he also told me that that Daniels name met be from Ireland and But this is the only USK in Canada and in BC and it was named after the Queen and one guy that was from or working on the railroads, and my uncle Phillip has his Death Certification and i am unable to contact him.I do not know when usk was built but i also know that hemy great great grandfather Harry Daniels had a brother -in law named (Dick Lowrie)and I also know that they were the only two family living there and when the Railroads got there in 1912, because i know there was a train station built even before the railroads got there.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

You can find a very well done history of Usk here:

http://www.livinglandscapes.bc.ca/north ... er/usk.htm

and here:
http://www.terracelibrary.ca/history1/u ... istory.htm

Dick Lowrie was Harry Daniels's brother in law... Richard (Dick) Lowrie was born in Ontario state , Tillsonburg, this is his grave from the site Findagrave:

http://image1.findagrave.com/photos/201 ... 173440.jpg

and these are his death dates on the site Familysearch.org:

"British Columbia Death Registrations, 1872-1986"

Nome: Richard Garobaldy Lowrie
Tipologia di evento: Death
Data dell'evento: 16 Mar 1948
Luogo dell'evento: Terrace, British Columbia, Canada
Stato civile: Married
Data di nascita: 09 Nov 1868
Luogo di nascita: , Ontario
Nome del padre: Lowrie
Nome della madre: Pauline
Nome del coniuge: Elizabeth Mathews
Tribú o clan:
Numero di bobbina dell'affiliato: B13196
Numero di bobina di FamilySearch: 2032480
Numero della cartella digitale: 004437625
Numero immagine: 02595
Numero di registrazione: 003560

Dick and Harry (Harold?) Daniels were brothers in law so they married sisters...
Dick Lowrie's wife was Elizabeth Matthews (she was for first the wife of George Ellis "Kitselas", once widow she married Dick)...

These are some marriage reigstrations for Dick Lowrie's daughters, them both stated their father was born in Ontario (town not known), from the site Familysearch.org:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n979973500

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1557653788

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2113312797
DanielsofSicily wrote:yes he was born in 1910 in USK BC, George Phillip Daniels, and yes my other grandfather Harold Daniels lived in Kitwanga, and is placed in Kitwanga village cemetery,
When I was talking about documents I was talking about them referred not to your grandfather but to your great-grandfather Harry, Harold? Daniels, the persons that you're saing to be italian...
Do you have your great-grandfather's death certificate that state that he was italian?
When and where your great-grandfather Harry,Harold married his wife (Elizabeth Matthews's sister?), do you have their marriage certificate?
You have to focus your research on your great-grandfather.

Laura
DanielsofSicily

I will try and get that one my aunt has that one and i will be taken a little well to get to her and i am trying to get the documents from all my aunts and uncles for all documenets of USK,BC, the place call"NASH RIVER" it is Nass River, know called Nisiga,BC
MarcoG

Post by MarcoG »

DANIELS with an S at the end comes from either JEWISH or SCOTTISH Origin.

Jewish Origin:

The name Daniels is a proud symbol of ancient Jewish culture. Before the late Middle Ages, people were known only by a single name. However, as the population increased and travelers set out on their journeys, it became necessary for people to adopt a second name to identify themselves. Jewish hereditary surnames were adopted from a variety of different sources.Two of the most common types of Jewish family names are patronymic surnames, which are derived from the father's given name, and metronymic surnames, which are derived from the mother's given name. In this case, the surname Daniels is a patronymic name and is derived from the Hebrew given name Daniel, which means God is my judge.

Scottish Origin:

One of the most common classes of Scottish surnames is the patronymic surname, which arose out of the vernacular and religious naming traditions. The vernacular or regional naming tradition is the oldest and most pervasive type of patronymic surname. According to this custom, names were originally composed of vocabulary elements from the local language. Patronymic surnames of this type were usually derived from the personal name of the original bearer's father. The surname Daniels is derived from the ancient name Daniel, which means God has judged. First found in Sussex, where they held a family seat from very early times and were granted lands by Duke William of Normandy, their liege Lord, for their distinguished assistance at the Battle of Hastings in 1066 A.D. The name Daniel has also been spelled Daniels, Daniell, Daneil, Danyell, Danel, Daniers, Danyei and many more.

However, DANIEL (without an S) can either come from JEWISH, SCOTTISH, ITALIAN and FRENCH Origin.

French Origin:

The prestigious surname Daniel originated in the beautiful and majestic region of Poitou in France. France was notorious for its eccentric kings, but it was revered for its contributions to European art and culture. The surname Daniel originally came from the region of Poitou. It is a topographical name, which is a type of hereditary surname. Topographical surnames were taken from physical features or landmarks that the family lived near.Spelling variations of this family name include: Danis, Daniel, Daneau, Danel, Danès, Danet, Daniau, Deniau, Danis, Dany, Danielli, Danielis, Danielet, Daniellot, Daniélou and many more.

Italian Origin:

The Italian surname Daniel is derived from the given name Daniel, originally a Hebrew word which meant "God is my Judge." During the Middle Ages, as populations grew and travel between regions became more frequent, the people of Italy, who were originally known only by a single name, found it necessary to adopt a second name to identify themselves and their families. This process of adopting fixed hereditary surnames in Italy began in the 10th and 11th centuries, but it was not completed until the modern era. First found in Bolgna (Bononia) in Emilia where it is the capital of the province of Bologna. The famous University of Bolgna was founded in the 11th century, by the 13th century the student body was nearly 10,000. Dante and Petrarch studied there. Tisso was tried there for 1564 for writing satirical poems. Earliest records of the surname Daniel date back to the year 1400, when Bernardino Danielo was a famous poet in the town of Lucca. In those ancient times only persons of rank, the podesta, clergy, city officials, army officers, artists, landowners were entered into the records. To be recorded at this time was in itself a family honor. The spelling variations in the name Daniel include Danieli, Daniele, Danielis, Danielli, Daniello, Danello, Dainelli, Danielli, Daniello, Danello, Dainelon, Danelutti, Danelut, Danielut, Dani and many more.

Looks like your either Jewish or Scottish not Italian.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

I have seen the surname Daniele in Sicily while researching my family.
DanielsofSicily

Joannsalvo: would you tell me more about your side, we are still tracking more of our family member and doing new family tree
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Sorry, I didn't mean to mislead you, I have searched Palermo and other cities for my family and I have seen that surname, it is not in my family.