Help with Barile and Rionero in Vulture research

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
DP17
Rookie
Rookie

Help with Barile and Rionero in Vulture research

Post by DP17 »

I'd like to do some research for my husband's grandmother. I have a date of birth for both of her parents. Normally I would just order the mirofilms I needed and get right to work but Family Search only has films available from 1809-1860 for both of the towns her parents came from. Her parents were born in the 1880s. It looks like I'll be writing my first letter to Italy for these records but I'm also going to need to request her grandparents' marriage records. Even if there are ages on her parent's birth records it would still just be taking an educated guess as to the range of dates her parents would be married in. Not a problem when all I have to do is search a film but I don't know if a town clerk in Italy would be willing to do the search for me.

What would you do?

Here are the facts I have:
Mother- Angelina Simone (listed as Angela on the passenger list from 1903)
Born 7 October 1887 in Barile, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
Her parents are Carmela Traversa (possibly birth date is 1855) and Luca Simone
Father- Joseph Pierro (listed as Giuseppe Pierri on passenger list from 1902)
Born 10 September 1882 in Rionero in Vulture, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
His parents are Gabriele Pierri and Irene Bresci, no dates known
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help with Barile and Rionero in Vulture research

Post by erudita74 »

DP17 wrote:I'd like to do some research for my husband's grandmother. I have a date of birth for both of her parents. Normally I would just order the mirofilms I needed and get right to work but Family Search only has films available from 1809-1860 for both of the towns her parents came from. Her parents were born in the 1880s. It looks like I'll be writing my first letter to Italy for these records but I'm also going to need to request her grandparents' marriage records. Even if there are ages on her parent's birth records it would still just be taking an educated guess as to the range of dates her parents would be married in. Not a problem when all I have to do is search a film but I don't know if a town clerk in Italy would be willing to do the search for me.

What would you do?

Here are the facts I have:
Mother- Angelina Simone (listed as Angela on the passenger list from 1903)
Born 7 October 1887 in Barile, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
Her parents are Carmela Traversa (possibly birth date is 1855) and Luca Simone
Father- Joseph Pierro (listed as Giuseppe Pierri on passenger list from 1902)
Born 10 September 1882 in Rionero in Vulture, Potenza, Basilicata, Italy
His parents are Gabriele Pierri and Irene Bresci, no dates known
In case you haven't seen them, records for both towns are online at familysearch.org under Potenza, Melfi, Tribunale (in the 1860s only at this time).
Italy, Potenza, Melfi, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1861-1929. I would watch though for updates.

Anyway, I just looked through some of the indices and you may want to get the spelling of the last names correct before you try to get info about these families. I see that Traversa was spelled as Travierso. I also see that Pierri or Pierro was spelled as Di Pierro and that Bresci was spelled as Brescia.

As to getting info from town clerks in Italy, it has been my experience that you need to give them a five year range or they will not search for you. It has also been my experience that, just because certain years do not appear in the library catalog as being on microfilm, that does not mean that the records for those years do not exist. You just need to get lucky in having some clerk or official in the town willing to check the registers for you.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

This morning I did notice someone in the 1861 death index for Rionero whose last name was spelled as just Pierri
DP17
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DP17 »

Erudita, you have been so helpful to me this week!

Yes, I was very excited to see that they have begun to add records for these towns online. I hope they are going to add more years eventually.

I think I will take one step at a time and begin with writing Italy for her parents birth records since I have dates. I would like to be sure I am asking for copies of the originals and not just the extracts so could someone help me with the wording? I would prefer to start trying by email. Would I write to the communes individually or the Archivio di Stato for Potenza for both?

She will be 89 soon and never knew much about her family's history so I would really love to be able share as much as I can find for her.

Thanks
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

DP17 wrote:Erudita, you have been so helpful to me this week!

Yes, I was very excited to see that they have begun to add records for these towns online. I hope they are going to add more years eventually.

I think I will take one step at a time and begin with writing Italy for her parents birth records since I have dates. I would like to be sure I am asking for copies of the originals and not just the extracts so could someone help me with the wording? I would prefer to start trying by email. Would I write to the communes individually or the Archivio di Stato for Potenza for both?

She will be 89 soon and never knew much about her family's history so I would really love to be able share as much as I can find for her.

Thanks

Here is the email address for the ufficio anagrafe e stato civile in Rionero.

demografici@comune.rioneroinvulture.pz.it

You need to ask for " una copia integrale dell'atto di nascita"-this a photocopy of the original record with all of the annotations which may have been added to it.

I still have to search for the info for the other town.

I am also sending you a private message.

Erudita

I am editing my above reply to include the following info:

The only email address I can find for Barile is a restricted one for the mayor. Any email address with pec.it in it (such as his) is for official business and will get bounced back as undeliverable. Here is the mailing address for the town and links to some form letters:

SERVIZI DEMOGRAFICI
Comune di Barile
Via Roma, 20
85022 Barile (PZ)
Italia

http://www.circolocalabrese.org/genealo ... -index.asp

http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tters.html

Erudita
DP17
Rookie
Rookie