Searching for; Deleppo, Del Cioppo, Rossi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mimishell

Re: Searching for; Deleppo, Del Cioppo, Rossi

Post by mimishell »

Suanj and John,
Thank you both! This is such wonderful news. I am very busy at work right now, but John I will be reaching out to you.
Thanks,
mimishell
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I found your Grandfather's birth record:

Raffaele del Cioppo was born 05 OCT 1886 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia, the son of Felice del Cioppo, age 34, calzolaio, and Michelina Spetrino, filatrice. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733190/NATI 1886/Numero 484, 07 OCT 1886.

I also found a birth record for a Filomena Rossi, although I don't know if this is your Grandmother:

Laura Filomena Rossi was born 10 MAR 1888 in Campobasso, Campobasso, Molise, Regno d'Italia, the daughter of Lupo Rossi, scalpellino, and Angela Colonna, filatrice. Source: Campobasso (Campobasso), Ufficio dello Stato Civile, Registri dello Stato Civile, 1809-1910 (Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1983-1990), FHL INTL Film 1733191/NATI 1888/Numero 161, 12 MAR 1888.
John Armellino
mimishell

Post by mimishell »

How exciting, this must be my grandfather! We thought he was younger because the Ellis Island manifest had him listed as 11 but he must have been 13 in Jan. 1900. Can we find out his address or parish in Campobasso from the listed information?
I don't feel so certain that Laura Filomena is my grandmother Filomena Rossi, did you notice if she had a brother named Pasquale? We know so little about her or Uncle Patsy, we do know that their village was badly bombed in WWII, my cousin wonders if it was Foggia or Bari or another village in Molise; do know if Campobasso was bombed? I wish I had more to go on.
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

I agree that there is nothing in her birth record to indicate that Laura Filomena Rossi is your Grandmother. However, I would keep a note of the record in case additional info is found. Campobasso was, in fact, badly damaged by allied bombs during WWII.
John Armellino
mimishell

Post by mimishell »

There is a Filomena Deleppo who died December 23, 1927 in Connecticut which is where my family lived, this might be my grandmother. Does anyone have access Connecticut records?
Enad#2

Post by Enad#2 »

Hi, I'm mimiishell's cousin, I found a Mrs Edith (DiVergillio) Del Cioppo, 89, passed Jan 9,2012 wife of Joseph Del Cioppo.
Born Aug 1 1922 Waterbury, daughter of Vincenzo and maria (DiMuzio)DiVerigllio.
I will update my info but first must organize it otherwise I will only confuse myself.
Lharmon4

Post by Lharmon4 »

hoping to help in some way......Urico Rossi was my dad and Patsy and Mary were my grandparents. I know next to nothing about their genealogy but they lived in Waterbury, Ct. Patsy died in the late 50's-early 60's and Mary died around 1971 or 72. We had cousins in Torrington CT whose name was Deleppo. The father's name was Phil. I don't know his date of death but there were 5 children I believe. My dad died in 2001 and his sister Melba died a few years later I think. She married John Coolidge and they lived in Cambridge MA. I have been thinking about starting a genealogy search but frankly didn't think I had enough information to begin. Let's see where this can lead!
Lharmon4

Post by Lharmon4 »

I forgot to add that I was recently told my grandparents came here from Bari, Italy but I have no confirmation on that.
mimishell

Post by mimishell »

Hello Lharmond4!

I will be on my way to work in a few minutes, so I'll write more later tonight. The above message from Enad#2 is a Torrington cousin, second of Phils' six children (5 living); I am Phils brother Don's (Dante) second of three girls, we used to see your family once in a while at Music Mountain, my parents were music lovers.

I have a lot of information to send you on Aunt Mary, her Ellis Island certificate and manifest and, with great thanks to John Armellino, her family tree back to the 1700's. John is still working on more.

Mary was from Campobasso, her brother was my grandfather Ralph/Rafaelle.
Pastys sister, Filomena Rossi, was my grandmother; she died a few years after Don was born so it's been so hard finding any info on her. I think your hint regarding Bari may be what's needed to put together information on Patsy and Filomena---perhaps someone from this site could help.
Have a good day!
Lharmon4

Post by Lharmon4 »

This is so interesting! I'd love to have any information you have. My sisters and I can't remember ever hearing about our grandparents siblings. We had an aunt and uncle in Waterbury we called Aunt Jo and Uncle Al (Alfred)....Deleppo. I always thought he was my grandmother's brother. Dante is a familiar name to us too. Look forward to heariing more.

Lisa
mimishell

Post by mimishell »

Hi Lisa,
Yes, we called them Aunt Jo(best torta rustica ever)and Uncle Al as well. Al was Mary and Ralphs youngest sibling, he was born in the US, as was the next youngest Anthony; great grandmother Michealina was pregnant with Anthony when they arrived, he was born a few months later in the US. The other siblings were; sisters Incoronata, Chira/Elvira, and Antonia, the only other boy was Jeo Paolo. Perhaps one of the girls was Aunt Nellie(?), do you remember that name?I saw Uncle Al's grandson Darrell 2 years ago when I was visiting Cape Cod, I hadn't seen him since he was a toddler!
I'll send you my contact info via PM so I can send you whatever I have.
Michelle
DOUGPREMO

Post by DOUGPREMO »

Am looking for parents of Pasqual Rossi . Have a name o Domenico Rossi, but dont really know if he was my grear grandfather

Liebe Coolidge