Looking for infromation on Giacomo Resta

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mtonchells1

Looking for infromation on Giacomo Resta

Post by mtonchells1 »

Looking for information on the family of Giacomo Resta who left Italy in 1880 to search for Gold in either New Zealand then ended up in Dunolly Victoria Australia. We are aware he left behind a wife and daughters - but ended up marring in Australia at the age of 67 to my Great Grandmother 22 hence where my line comes from! He left his villiage - Ville Di Torano Parish San Lorenzo in the Valellina Region of Sondrio Lomabardia Italy.
His parents are Giovanni Resta and Mary Svanosio. His wife in Italy was Maria Bonadeo.
I guess l am looking for answers to what happended to his Italian family and why they failed to come out to Australia with him as although not rich he managed a living and supported a family till his death her in Australia. I have the date of his arrival to Australia but l am guessing that it was not direct from Napoli where he states on a land record he departed from.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Looking for infromation on Giacomo Resta

Post by suanj »

hi the Communeis VILLA DI TIRANO and no Villa di Torano;

Australia Death Index, 1787-1985 about Jas Raste
Name: Jas Raste
[Giacoma Resta]
Death Place: Dunolly, Victoria
Father's Name: Jno Raste
Mother's Name: Mary Vernossi
Registration Year: 1934
Registration Place: Victoria
Registration number: 18150
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1850

I found the marriage bann of Giacomo Resta 25 old in 1876, son of late Giovanni and Maria ...... ( no Svanosio; the her maiden name is unreadable) and Maria Bonadeo 24 old daughter of late Filippo and late Maria Catterina Pasetti;
Giacomo Resta was born in Bianzone..

marriage bann Villa di Tirano 13 Feb 1876- #11

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1688831575

Marriage act Villa di Tirano 2 Apr 1876 #9
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1688831575
on this marriage act the Giacomo mother maiden name was Poletti(??)
It was your ancestor?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Yes this is him, as you can see once in Australia his name changed due to translation and lack of English! The information on the marriage ban matches what l have in very loose translation from a copied record does shoe his mother as being a Svanosio l am unable to read the attachement you have noted re the marriage act but will try and print it off when it loads.
The line l have is Givanni Resta b. 30/07/1787 m Maria Ninatti
Giovanni Resta b.16/12/1822 m Maria Svanosio 25/12/1819
Giacomo Resta b. 1/08/1850 m 29/021876 Maria Bonadeo 18/02/1852
daughters - Maria 1877 Caterina 1878 Domenica 1881

He remarried in 1902 then again in 1917 to my great grandmother my grandfather was born 2 years later.
Does it show a death for Maria Bonadeo any where.
I had watched a show recently that explained that men would come out and send money back home to then bring the family they left behind out with him but it seems this isn't the case here. Although he did wait 2o years before remarrying which consequently coninsides with naturalization papers l have found!
Thank you for your help - l have managed to locate his fathers death index but l don't have access so will try on the site you have directed me to. :-)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

By marriage record Giacomo married on 2 April 1876...
I kno not as you had the Svanosio maiden name of Giacomo mother; it was a Giovanni Antonio Resta married at Maria Svanosio, and had a daughter Maria married at Tommaso Bonuse Morelli https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1688831575
so the Giacomo mother maiden name need of to try better.. I no found the marriage of nobody Giacomo daughters between 1897 to 1907.. seeming that the family moved from Villa di Tirano..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

That puts a spin on things then - I do have australian docs that state Maria Snvanosio which is strange as you saw in his death cert.
I wonder if something happend to his family and that is why he came here? The 3rd daughter l listed would have been born with him just arriving although l dont know if he came here direct! Maybe all our previous info is incorrect? My Aunt had someone vist the area over 10years ago and that is where l have got most of the information although we had to have it translated as unfortunatly we are not able to read/speak italian even though we have been preivlige to the surname. It was actually changed to RASTI when my grandfather inlisted in the Australian Army possibly to ward off discrimination and problems when he was posted overseas. Your help is invaluable thank you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I enlarged the marriage bann and the mother maiden name seeming Svanosio
in marriage record the mother maiden name is Poletti; maybe the clerk wrote wrong maiden name
however no doubts that the records are abt right Giacomo.
It is possible that the wife and daughters moved in New Zealand also?
Regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Maria Resta 15 old, died in Villa di Tirano on 14 aug 1892 #46, daughter of Giacomo Resta and Maria Bonadeo.
Death act:
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found a death act in Villa di tirano on 4 oct 1928, of Antonio Bonadeo 79 old, unmarried son of late Filippo, brother of Maria Bonadeo; the informant was Domenica Resta 47 old, daughter of Giacomo,for bad luck no surname of her husband ( if she was married):
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 2087480583
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Wonderful thank you for your help this is good information to find l still have had no luck. I notice on his naturalization papers that he wrote he left Napoli and arrived in Aust April in 1881 the year of the Domenica was born! The name of the ship is unreadable but may have been Glisco or Clasco? I have had no luck in finding such a vessel arriving in Melb in April 1881.
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Just opened an email from my aunt and she has found a copy of the Registro Di Poplazione - l guess this is a censes?
My Italian is not good but l can guess some of it! Comune Di Villa Di Tirano - Via Di Maranla would this be the street name? as it also hase Case (house) N. 250 fohilo di famiglia n.21 so (family number 21) Maria seems to have a different surname here than what seems to be her Brother Giovanni Savanosio! It looks to me like S or a P vanglio! It then goes on to show Maria born 1847 Giacomo born 1850 and Doninica born 1856. Maybe of l could locate more of these kind of records it would show more information on when he left?
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

I think l have just found why we see a different name for Maria on the marriage doc! At a guess l think she could have been married previously? I have found a child that is listed as Giovanni Svanosio on 2 censes records my aunt has just emailed me! on one it shows he is the son of illog - somthig l cant read ( illegitimate ?) of Maria Svanofico could this be our Maria also - interesting too is there is a note on both his and my ggrandfathers name stating they went to AMERICA!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi, abt the ship if you can post the picture abt Giacomo arrival, so I can read the ship's name..
Abt Foglio di Famiglia and abt Giovanni Svanosio, if you can post the pictures also, because in Villa di Tirano was some other different Giacomo Resta and ditto for Maria Svanosio..
If I can see the pictures is better, so I can have a better idea...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Unable to submit pic of doc with ship but my aunt says it was the Cuzco?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi here the ship list by months and years arrived in Australia:
http://mariners.records.nsw.gov.au/shipdate_2.htm

suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Sadly no evidence that he was on the ship such as a passenger list, however it did sail to Australia via Napoli so at least l know he came her direct. He may have been one of the many lower class passengers on the ship. Thanks again for the information :-)