Surnames: Caputo, Corviero in Modugno, Bari, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bware752

Surnames: Caputo, Corviero in Modugno, Bari, Italy

Post by bware752 »

We have been researching Carlo and Pietro Caputo, father and son, who immigrated to U.S. between 1905 and 1912 from Modugno, Bari. It looks like Pietro (Peter in the U.S.) mother's last name looks like Carviero, but the image of the Atti di Nascit that was made from the computer screen is missing part of the side and bottom.

Is anyone on the forum familiar with these names. They arrived at New York, but settled in Chicago.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Surnames: Caputo, Corviero in Modugno, Bari, Italy

Post by Tessa78 »

bware752 wrote:We have been researching Carlo and Pietro Caputo, father and son, who immigrated to U.S. between 1905 and 1912[/u] from Modugno, Bari. It looks like Pietro (Peter in the U.S.) mother's last name looks like Carviero, but the image of the Atti di Nascit that was made from the computer screen is missing part of the side and bottom.

Is anyone on the forum familiar with these names. They arrived at New York, but settled in Chicago.

POSSIBLE?
On this manifest - arrival 1906
Carlo Caputo, from Modugno, is going to his "brother-in-law Salvatore Conteduca in Chicago" [Conteduca is a name found in Modugno, Bari :-)

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Carlo Caputo
Name: Carlo Caputo
Arrival Date: 4 Apr 1906
Birth Date: abt 1871
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Madonna

T.
bware752

Post by bware752 »

Thank you for the suggestion. I thought about this, but the mother's surname does not have any letters that look like "t" or "d".
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

bware752 wrote:Thank you for the suggestion. I thought about this, but the mother's surname does not have any letters that look like "t" or "d".
Can you post the Atti di Nascita for us? :-)

T.
bware752

Post by bware752 »

We got a better copy of the image and I have just about translated it. It turns out that Corvieso was Auralio Corvieso, one of the witnesses. The mother is Rosa Loiacono.

For others who might be connected. This document was issued in 1896. Other names include Giovaneis Ilarzi Sagrestano, who was the official recording the birth and Luigi Rucco, the other witness.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX #302
1870 in the town of Modugno birth of Carlo Caputo son of PIETRO CAPUTO AGE 36 FARMER SON OF TOMMASO CAPUTO AND LEGAL WIFE FELICIA MANGIALARDI
THE SIDE NOTE SAYS CARLO CAPUTO MARRIED ROSA LOIACANO MAY 3RD 1895
PG LINK
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

INDEX#33
1895 May 3rd in the town of Modugno marriage of Carlo Caputo age 24 son of Pietro Caputo and Felicia Mangialardi married Rosa Loiacano age 21 daughter of Filippo Loiacano and Domenica Grittani

PG LINK

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
bware752

Post by bware752 »

Thank you, thank you! What you provided is amazing. Not only the information on the Caputo and related family members, but also links which allowed me to follow-up on Carlo Caputo's brother Tommaso and his son (also named Pietro), through Antenati, Gli Archivi per la Ricerca Anagrafica website. Thank you for taking your time to search the records and post the information, links, and images.

Barbara
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

INDEX#81
1858 Nov 11 in the town of Modugno (BOTH BORN IN MODUGNO)marriage of Pietro Caputo age 25 farmer son of Tommaso Caputo and Margherita Trentadue to marry Felicia Mangialardi age 23 daughter of Carlo Mangialardi and deceased Alfonsa Martino
PG LINK 2 PAGES

INDEX #52
1833 March 29th in the town of Modugno birth of Pietro Caputo son of Tommaso Caputo age 30 and Margherita Trentadue
PG LINK

INDEX#5
1829 Feb 20th in the town of Modugno marriage of Tommaso Caputo age 28 farmer son of Pietro Caputo and Giuseppa Morte to marry Margherita Trentadue age 19 daughter of Bernardino Trentadue and Leonarda Umbrino??
PG LINK

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
bware752

Post by bware752 »

Marty,

You are amazing. With the information you linked, we have taken the family back three generations, filled in some the the maternal line and added some siblings. Some of the records are hard to read for someone who only knows the basic Italy words in nati and matrimoni records. Thank you for searching and finding the family. This means so much to my niece's husband who knew nothing about his Italy family because his grandparents divorced shortly after his father was born and the grandmother's family was from Russia.

Barbara
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

bware752 wrote:Marty,

You are amazing. With the information you linked, we have taken the family back three generations, filled in some the the maternal line and added some siblings. Some of the records are hard to read for someone who only knows the basic Italy words in nati and matrimoni records. Thank you for searching and finding the family. This means so much to my niece's husband who knew nothing about his Italy family because his grandparents divorced shortly after his father was born and the grandmother's family was from Russia.

Barbara
You are very welcome Barbara glad to help

Marty

Marty