Need more information about my family heritage, please help.

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
LILLEE0202

Need more information about my family heritage, please help.

Post by LILLEE0202 »

Hello all! Okay you told me the other night if I ever had a question or needed help you were all here to help. I thought about it and thought about it. There is something you can help me with if you don't mind. I looked through EllisIslandrecords.org last night and went through 2,502 DiBenedetto names and still can't find my great-grandfather. This is what I know as per his birth extract and death certificate.
His name is: Saverio DiBenedetto
Date Born As Per Birth Extract: May 10, 1864, Palermo, Sicily, Italy
As Per Death Certificate: November 2, 1864
Date Of Death: November 9, 1917
Death Certificate says in USA 12 yrs., also states in NYC 12 yrs, he expired in Brooklyn, NYC
Parents:
Mother: As Per Birth Extract: Maria Anna Palisi
As Per Death Certificate: Maria Palisi
Father: As Per Birth Extract: Giuseppe Di Benedetto
As Per Death Certificate: Giuseppe Di Benedetto
On birth extract it says he married Giuseppa Catalano in Palermo on
April 25, 1889.
Problem is: A. I can't find him coming in on Ellis Island at all.
B. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
Any help you could give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thank you very much. Bye for now,
LILLEE0202 :-)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need more information about my family heritage, please h

Post by suanj »

LILLEE0202 wrote:Hello all! Okay you told me the other night if I ever had a question or needed help you were all here to help. I thought about it and thought about it. There is something you can help me with if you don't mind. I looked through EllisIslandrecords.org last night and went through 2,502 DiBenedetto names and still can't find my great-grandfather. This is what I know as per his birth extract and death certificate.
His name is: Saverio DiBenedetto
Date Born As Per Birth Extract: May 10, 1864, Palermo, Sicily, Italy
As Per Death Certificate: November 2, 1864
Date Of Death: November 9, 1917
Death Certificate says in USA 12 yrs., also states in NYC 12 yrs, he expired in Brooklyn, NYC
Parents:
Mother: As Per Birth Extract: Maria Anna Palisi
As Per Death Certificate: Maria Palisi
Father: As Per Birth Extract: Giuseppe Di Benedetto
As Per Death Certificate: Giuseppe Di Benedetto
On birth extract it says he married Giuseppa Catalano in Palermo on
April 25, 1889.
Problem is: A. I can't find him coming in on Ellis Island at all.
B. I don't know if he had any brothers or sisters.
Any help you could give me would be GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Thank you very much. Bye for now,
LILLEE0202 :-)
Giuseppa Catalano, born in Palermo, came in USA in 1910 , June 23, and joining to
Di Benedetto Saverio husband in NY; in same travel the son: Vincenzo Di Benedetto age 4; no relative's contact in Italy; this is the ship's manifest of Giuseppa:

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0649%2ETIF

regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Perhaps he didn't arrive via Ellis Island, but another port.

have you tried using this search engine:
http://www.jewishgen.org/databases/eidb/ellisshort.html
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Anna.......

Do you have the arrival of Matteo and brother Giuseppe in 1912? Also, bear in mind his name could be Francesco Saverio...or something like that where he went by the "Saverio" name, but legally it was not how he was listed.

There is a Francesco that arrived from Palermo in 1906 at age of 40...maybe a possibility? My gggrandfather was Francesco Saverio but went by name of Saverio...just a guess here at other possibilities.

The Palermo civil records should be available at the Family History Library on microfilm. These are the birth, death and marriage records. You should be able to rent these and find the whole family back to the early 1800's.

Good Luck
CarlosPandoParedes

Post by CarlosPandoParedes »

Essgee wrote:Anna.......

Do you have the arrival of Matteo and brother Giuseppe in 1912? Also, bear in mind his name could be Francesco Saverio...or something like that where he went by the "Saverio" name, but legally it was not how he was listed.

There is a Francesco that arrived from Palermo in 1906 at age of 40...maybe a possibility? My gggrandfather was Francesco Saverio but went by name of Saverio...just a guess here at other possibilities.

The Palermo civil records should be available at the Family History Library on microfilm. These are the birth, death and marriage records. You should be able to rent these and find the whole family back to the early 1800's.

Good Luck
Hola a todos necesito información sobre mi bis abuelo que llego de italia a sud america por 1920 su nombre es Antonio Pappi sus padres eran Paolo Pappi Teresa Morro, por favor cualquier informacion al email: caisepatmouse@hotmail.com
atte. carlos Pando
LILLEE0202

Post by LILLEE0202 »

To All:
Thank you for all your help but you have gotten as far as I already have. He most definitely arrived at Ellis Island, as per my Uncle and Saverio's Death Certificate.

Suanj:
Yes this is my great grandmother and my great uncle. They came to join my great grandfather Saverio (How did he [Saverio] get here?). As for the no relative's contact in Italy(She left my grandfather Matteo and my great uncle Giuseppe back in Italy). Thanks good try.

Debbie:
Thank you for your help too. I very much so tried www.jewishgen.org/data...short.html and thought he didn't arrive via Ellis Island but his death certificate said, in USA 12 yrs and in Brooklyn, NYC 12 yrs. Thank you again.

Essgee:
Thank you for your help. Yes I have the arrival of Matteo (my grandfather) and his brother (my great uncle) Giuseppe in 1912, they came with Rosario LoNano their brother-in-law. As far as Saverio's name being Francesco Saverio and him going by the "Saverio" name I doubt it because legally he is listed on his birth extract and death certificate as Saverio Di Benedetto. Yes, the Palermo civil records are available at the Family History Library on microfilm but I can't get there at this point in time as I have 2 small children and I also work. Thank you again.

Forum Members:
Thank you for all your help.
Anna :-)
Now please help this person, I don't speak much Spanish but I think this is a new post.
Hola a todos necesito información sobre mi bis abuelo que llego de italia a sud america por 1920 su nombre es Antonio Pappi sus padres eran Paolo Pappi Teresa Morro, por favor cualquier informacion al email: caisepatmouse @ hotmail.com
atte. carlos Pando