Lastname Lupi

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Katerinaki

Lastname Lupi

Post by Katerinaki »

Hello i'm originally from Greece.My mother's lastname is Lupi.My great grand father said that our ancestors come from Italy,but he didn't know from which part of Italy.Two months ago a couple called my grandparents,from Crete.They found their number from the yellow pages,asking them if they had any idea about the origin of the lastname.They did not know what to answer.So i just wanted to ask here.Is it really Italian?Does anybody know from which town or province of Italy it originates from?

Thank you in advance
Katerina!
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Lastname Lupi

Post by paola52 »

:D Hi Katerina
Yes Lupi is an Italian surname, mostly found in central Italy
If you follow this link you'll see where Lupi families live today
http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/LUPI
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Katerinaki wrote:Hello i'm originally from Greece.My mother's lastname is Lupi.My great grand father said that our ancestors come from Italy,but he didn't know from which part of Italy.Two months ago a couple called my grandparents,from Crete.They found their number from the yellow pages,asking them if they had any idea about the origin of the lastname.They did not know what to answer.So i just wanted to ask here.Is it really Italian?Does anybody know from which town or province of Italy it originates from?

Thank you in advance
Katerina!
Lupi is the plural of the Italian word Lupo which means wolf. There are currently 3111 in Italy with the surname. You can see on this link how it is currently diffused throughout Italy
http://www.cognomix.it/mappe-dei-cognomi-italiani/LUPI

As to the origin of the surname-according to the late Prof Joseph G Fucilla in his book entitled Our Italian Surnames-

Lupo can be either of Latin, Germanic, or Spanish origin. Hispanic Lopez with an accent on the o was Latinized into Lupus and Italianized into Lupo. Luppi (spelled with two L's) is from Genoa.

Erudita

Sorry to have duplicated the link given to you by Paola52. We hit the submit button simultaneously, it seems.
Katerinaki

Post by Katerinaki »

Thanks to both of you :)

I checked the site that you recommended,and it's funny how there are so many of them.
In Greece they are not even close to 100 people,and they exist mainly in the Peloponnese,Rhodes,Kalymnos,Crete and Athens.

My idea is that probably because Crete and Rhodes,were colonies of the Venecians for many centuries,this is probably how that unknown mysterious ancestor came in.and maybe what my great grandfather was talking about,is information that have passed from generation to generation? who knows?
familytree2015

Post by familytree2015 »

I am lupi they originated from Tuscany and have several royal lines renound family through centuries , interested to know which branch you are from. email opendoorannina71@hotmail.co.uk
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

I don't know the "Lupi" family from Tuscany but the :Lupi" family from Crete are descendants of the Lupino Family from Venice and there are substantial records in the Venetian archives to prove it.
I could write here for ages but then my messages may not be posted.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

Filmways wrote:I don't know the "Lupi" family from Tuscany but the :Lupi" family from Crete are descendants of the Lupino Family from Venice and there are substantial records in the Venetian archives to prove it.
I could write here for ages but then my messages may not be posted.

The "Lupi family" is likely not 1 family. 3111 Lupi today, and since it is such a simple name, likely means that there are several people and families who adopted the name who are unrelated to each other at any point in history. The story of one won't necessarily be the story of others (ie. no WAY all those Lupi are related to noble lines of Tuscany).

The idea that they derive from the Lupino family sounds interesting, if that could be traced (not sure what records Greece has to trace back) it'd be a huge benefit since Lupino is actually so uncommon that it is much more likely that it belongs to only 1 or at most 2 independent paternal lines.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

Although I believe it is a Venetian name, originally Must have been either Greek or adopted by families connected to Greece. Loupos is a Greek bird of Pray and the name has been used for over 2000 years.
The variations of the name, which was originally Lupino (since 950) are LUPI -no; LUP -in-O; and then the Greek names Loupasis, Loupakis etc.
In addition to numerous records in Venice, (100's) there are also many books:
P. Coronelli. Arme Blasoni
G. Bettinelli. Dizionario storico portatile
S. Borsari, Il dominio page 70
P. Ratti-Vidulich. Duca di Candia, Bandi, no 472
A. luttrelli. Crete & Rhodes, page 170
There are lots of records.
There are no records that the family was in any way connected to aristocracy, To my knoledged they were not even "Nobili".

There are numerous
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

This book (vol of 3) is easily available and has a few references. page 1113

AND If your name is Lupi than you are from one and the same family. Unlike other names, your name is Unique and there are no other families with it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Katerinaki

Post by Katerinaki »

Thanks all for your answers.

I haven't logged in for more than a year,so sorry for replying so late.

I will check all the records that Filmways suggested(Special thanks for all the sources you provided).

I myself don't think that we are of noble ancestry in any way.I was just curious about the origin of the lastname.
Filmways
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Filmways »

Katerinaki is a typical (100%) Cretan first name which translates to "Little Kathryn". You inherited is from your Mother's family, so you can be sure, your mother's family was from Crete. Loupos was also a Greek name some 2000 years ago, before the Venetians adopted it around 1200. Venetians brought it back to Greece around 1210.
Katerinaki

Post by Katerinaki »

Filmways wrote:Katerinaki is a typical (100%) Cretan first name which translates to "Little Kathryn". You inherited is from your Mother's family, so you can be sure, your mother's family was from Crete. Loupos was also a Greek name some 2000 years ago, before the Venetians adopted it around 1200. Venetians brought it back to Greece around 1210.
Oh no,my official name is Aikaterini (Ekaterini),the greek form of Catherine. -aki in the end of any word in greek is a dimunative.It's not specific to Crete.
Katerinaki

Post by Katerinaki »

familytree2015 wrote:I am lupi they originated from Tuscany and have several royal lines renound family through centuries , interested to know which branch you are from. email opendoorannina71@hotmail.co.uk
I will contact you :)
brittanyelizabeth92

Post by brittanyelizabeth92 »

was hoping someone here would know of an Augustine or Joseph Lupi. they are my great grandparents, my mother says we are Sicilian and I am trying to track down the rest of the family. any help would be appreciated