Broggi Family

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sheana01

Broggi Family

Post by sheana01 »

I need help researching my Broggi Family. I am trying to find information on an Angelo Broggi who was born July 24, 1865 in Lombardy Italy. His fathers name was Antonio and mother Amalia. He married a Josephine Stella she was born abt. 1873. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Broggi Family

Post by paola52 »

HI and welcome! :D
Yes Broggi is a Lombard surname mostly found in Varese and Como area Problem is there are too many Broggi families here and Angelo was a very popular given name at the time of his birth.
Do you have some more info you can share with us ? For exemple did he emigrate (and when) or did he stay in Italy?
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
sheana01

Post by sheana01 »

Angelo Broggi immigrated to NY in 1985. He lived in Barre Vermont, then NY where he died in 1918. I believe he had two brothers Michael and Enrico. Both of his brothers immigrated to NY also.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Ciao
There is one Angelo Broggi arriving at Ellis Island in 1895 The ship manifest states he was from Bisuschio, a village in Valceresio Valley, near Varese
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0268
Many emigrants from Varese area, mostly stonecutters, (scalpellini) went to Barre Vermont.
http://mialombardia.4t.com/Gli_Scalpellini.htm
There is also a database online, but only for those born in Viggiù, a bigger village near Bisuschio. Sorry, no Angelo Broggi in this database, but the site has a lot of info
http://www.viggiu-in-rete.org/emigrazione/baker03.htm
The most useful book on this topic:
Carlo Brusa, Quando in Valceresio si emigrava 1861-1915 : Comunità Montana Valceresio, 28 aprile -11 maggio 1990 ...
:D Paola
sheana01

Post by sheana01 »

Thank you for your help I am sure that is probably him and I did find a directory of him in Barre Vermont. I wrote a misprint on the date he immigrated in 1895 not 1985.
sheana
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

:D Happy to help
ebroggi

Post by ebroggi »

Hi! I'm currently searching for information on Frank Broggi (probably short for francesco) He was born sometime between 1855-1865, and married Francesco Vaira. I believe his fathers name was antonio, But im not positive. I also am pretty sure he lived in ono san pietro. I would love to find more information about them, especially information on their parents and early lives (I have plenty of information on their lives after their immigration to america.) Thank you in advance!!
tdc

Post by tdc »

Hi all, I'm new on the forum. I don't meant to butt in on someone else's thread, but I've tried posting new topics and they just don't seem to want to show up - anyone know why this could be?

In any case I'm also looking for information on this same ancestor, Angelo Broggi (hi sheana01, perhaps we're related!!). Specifically I'm looking for the record of his marriage to Giuseppina Rosa Broggi, née Stella. Here's what I know:

Angelo Broggi was born in Bisuschio, Varese, Lombardia. Unfortunately I have two conflicting sources for his birth date: his death certificate lists it as 24 July 1865, but his tombstone puts his year of birth at 1864. According to the manifest of the ship on which he immigrated to the US, he was 24 years old on 8 April 1889, which also suggests he was born before July 1865. I wrote to the Comune di Bisuschio, who informed me that they don't have copies of birth records that old, and that I could perhaps try writing to the archives of the Province of Varese. I am currently waiting on their response.

His wife Giuseppina was also born in Bisuschio in 1872, and the Comune was able to send me a copy of her birth certificate.

This is where it gets tricky. I don't know when or where they were married, and I can only provide a general range of times and places based on circumstantial evidence. I am reasonably certain that Angelo first immigrated on 8 April 1889 because he is listed on a ship's manifest - the La Gascogne from Le Havre to New York - with his brother Michael. In the 1940 US Census, Josephine (Giuseppina) Broggi listed the year of her immigration as 1891. This strikes me as somewhat reliable: if she were estimating the year, I imagine she'd have simply said 1890. However, I have not been able to find any concrete records of her travels.

In the 1930 US Census, Josephine indicated that she was 18 years old at the age of her first marriage. In the 1910 US Census, the couple both responded that they had been married for 20 years. Unfortunately, both of those numbers indicate that they should have gotten married in 1890, which according to our travel dates was the year that Angelo was in the US while Josephine remained in Italy. As such I'm not sure where to continue searching for their marriage certificate. The Comune di Bisuschio said they don't have a record of the marriage so it was likely performed elsewhere. I haven't seen anything in New York or Vermont records, where they later lived together. Southeast Switzerland is also a possibility; I believe that Angelo spent some time with family there on his way to America.

That's about all I have to go on. I'd be very grateful if anyone could help me have a look, or even just indicate where I should inquire next. Thank you so much!