Salvatore Brocato - b.20 Oct 1879 Cefalu, Italy ?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
medievalchic007

Salvatore Brocato - b.20 Oct 1879 Cefalu, Italy ?

Post by medievalchic007 »

I am looking for information regarding Salvatore Brocato.

Salvatore Brocato (b. 20 Oct 1879 - d. ? ) went by Sam here in America. Born in probably Cefalu, Italy. His wife Josephine M ___(b.30 aug 1888 Louisiana - d.6 mar 1972 in California)

They had 17 children. They were all born in Greenville / Indianola Mississippi, of the surviving 13 children they were named:

Cynthia C. (1906)
Sam (1908)
Johnny Van (1911) My grandfather-This is his real name Johnny, middle name Van. Exact spelling. He was a character and was married to my natural grandmother Caroline Elizabeth Duke between 1935-1937 sometime. They were divorced before 1946.

He had a scar on his upper left forehead and eye from being kicked by a mule when he was a child. I have photos of him. I believe I have his death certificate and obit from my mothers affects when she passed away.

Later he remarried a lovely woman named Mae. She was sweet. He was not much of a family man/provider. On my mother's birth certificate he lists "pool hall" as his occupation. He was a drinker and a gambler.

Anthony (1912)
Minnie (1913)
Peter (1915)
Grace (1918)
Vincent (1920)
Margarette (1922)
Catherine (1925)
Stella < Steve < Roselyn (I do not know their birth dates

Two sets of twins between 1926 and 1930 all passed away at birth.

In this case, I believe his father was Antonio, but i have no evidence to this and I'm just guessing by glancing at other people's research and seeing if I can match up anything to mine in hopes to get a lead.

I did today find a passenger list to New York on Ship Patria from Naples, Italy with Salvatore Brocato and the correct age of 25, arriving 19 Oct 1904 and that he was from Cefalu, Italy. It says his destination was New Orleans which fits with his wife being from Louisiana. I am going on a guess that this could very well be him, but again, no facts.
I have the 1930 US Federal Census for this family from Indianola, Mississippi. It lists his year immigrated as 1922, AL (alien), but all these children were born in the US and his wife Josephine was born in Louisiana.

I'm having problems getting beyond this wall in my ancestor research. I'd like to know all I can about Salvatore, his brothers and sisters, parents, grandparents etc...

If you can help, I will be grateful.
Thank you,
Michele
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Salvatore Brocato - b.20 Oct 1879 Cefalu, Italy ?

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello Michele, :D
If you research Salvatore's birth act, you can begin to verify a lot of the information you have.
Many of the civil records on film,
http://tinyurl.com/6sa92xb
At a Family History Center near you,
https://familysearch.org/locations

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
medievalchic007

Thanks Paul,

Will I only be able to find records for him and his family via microfilm?
With all the "Salvatore Brocato"'s out there, how will I know which one is the correct one? That could get expensive making mistakes and getting the wrong person, couldn't it?
I read that they will be in Italian. With me not speaking or reading Italian, that could be problematic I think?
I've never used Microfilm before and upon ordering one after all the above questions are thought about, where do I look at it? Only at a family research center?

I have many more questions I'm sure.

curiously,
Michele
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

This is the natural progression in learning about your family.
It does cost, but it is worth it.
If you know Salvatore's birth date...Salvatore Brocato (b. 20 Oct 1879
Order this film
Nati 1864-1878 Family History Library INTL Film 1964474 Items 1 - 4

The volunteers at the FHC can help and when the film comes in, you
will have to look at it on one of their readers.
Most of the records are easier to read in these later years. You can learn
enough Italian to find a name and date of birth.

There are many questions, so take it slow and enjoy the experience. Everyone started where you are starting.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Michele lets start at the beginning with Sam Brocato to make sure he is from Cefalu, Italy.

1930 United States Federal Census
Name:Sam Brocato
Birth Year:abt 1880
Birthplace:Europe
Race:White
Home in 1930:Indianola, Sunflower, Mississippi
Marital Status:Married
Immigration Year:1922
Relation to Head of House:Head
Spouse's Name: Josephen M Brocato
Father's Birthplace:Europe
Mother's Birthplace:Europe
Name Age
Sam Brocato 50
Josephen M Brocato 43
Cynthia C Brocato 24
Sam Brocato 22
Johnie V Brocato 20
Anthony T Brocato 18
Minnie J Brocato 17
Peter J Brocato 15
Grace M Brocato 12
Vincent Brocato 10
Margarete J Brocato 8
Katherine L Brocato 4
click for 1930 census click to enlarge

This is the census you have?
WE have to find the ship manifest now do you know if Sam was married in Louisianna?
There is a Public family tree on ancestry.com is that yours under the name dafferner Family Tree. It shows Sam Brocato died in Chicago???
If you do a little reasoning born Cynthia C Brocato 24 They might have been married abt 1902-1906
Also that Immigration Year:1922 might be there year he got naturalized

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918
Issued on Sept 12 1918
Name:Sam Brocato
County:Sunflower
State:Mississippi
Birth Date:20 Oct 1879
Race:White
FHL Roll Number:1683984
click for record click to enlarge

Also there is a U.S. World War I Soldier Naturalizations, 1918 I dont have a Fold3 membership to view it on ancestry.com maybe someone on IG has one and will post it for you.
Sam Brocato
Naturalization Year:1918
Military Base:Beauregard
Court Number:1416

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
medievalchic007

Thanks,
Yes, that is what I have.
I think it's his naturalization also because all the kids were born here starting in 1906.
I don't have a fold3 account either.
I can't find any other naturalization info, nor can I find a ship manifest, but I am pretty sure he came in through New Orleans - so far, most every Brocato I found except a couple, have come in through there.
This branch is a new start for me, so I am sure it will take time to find what I am looking for. If I had more information I might consider ordering thigns, but until I have more info, I don't think I will order unless I know for sure.

I don't know they were born in Louisiana. I have found some other information and am concluding that they had already moved to Mississippi. While I'm still searching, I believe they married in Mississippi.

I appreciate the help! It's hard thinking about these things by yourself and nice to talk it out with others.
M
melanielevoy

Post by melanielevoy »

Peter Brocato was my Great Grandfather. He died in Biloxi, Mississippi on October 24, 1997.