Locating family records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mtonchells1

Locating family records

Post by mtonchells1 »

My Great Great Grandfather was responsible for the set up of a tile factory in or near of Milan so took his family for a while to live in Italy. Where would l be able to find records of this as it has left a big gap in being able know more about them since they left England just prior to 1900 as his last child was born in Milan, is there also the possiblilty to locate birth records for him also? Names that l am trying to find in or around Milan would be Ambrose Wood and birth records for his son Stanley Richard Wood. Would records have been kept for families of non Italian nationality in that time living there? Thanks
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Re: Locating family records

Post by Joannsalvo »

Hi,
There are records for a Stanley Richard Wood on ancestry.com.
There is a military record stating Stanley Richard Wood was born 1899. Birthplace: St. Christopher (maybe the church) , Milan Italy.
His father was Ambrose Edward Wood.
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

Yep have the basics but just wondered if there would be any other records? But missed the St Christopher's bit thanks.
Would love to find out how long my Ambrose's family lived in Italy for as they just disappeared from the UK and then showed up again? I believe they also went to Brazil and maybe Russia also? So pin pointing this and finding out where in Italy they lived would be great! I could also be looking the wrong way and could anyone suggest where to locate the tile factory - Ambrose was an Chemist and delt with the coloration of tiles etc.
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Church of Saint Christopher sul Naviglio, Milan
via San Cristoforo, 3, Milan 20144

Maybe the church!?
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

If baptised would there be records l know the woods where strict catholic so would have followed this routine?
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

I would think there should be church records for his birth.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Hi!

You can send an email to the Archive of the Milan diocese, where are kept the copies of the records for all the parishes of the town

archivio@diocesi.milano.it

Ciao
Paola
:D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

Since the family lived in Milan after 1900 it is possible there are other records that might indicate when and to where they relocated. When did they return to the UK?
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
mtonchells1

Post by mtonchells1 »

I am guessing that they arrived back sometime before 1911 as they have appeared again on a UK censues for that time.
Great l will also try emailing for the records - thanks everyone for your help.