Place? Bahano for Dileuce or De Leuce Surname

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
angelamarika

Re: Place? Bahano for Dileuce or De Leuce Surname

Post by angelamarika »

Hi suanj

I looked on Family Search and found this record:
Tony Ippolito, "New Jersey, State Census, 1905" (EDITED FOR SPACE)
Name: Tony Ippolito Titles and Terms: Event Type: Census Event Year: 1905
Event Place: , Essex, New Jersey, United States
Family Number: 262 Page: 14 Line Number: 62
GS Film number: 1688602 Digital Folder Number: 004881590 Image Number: 00032
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Tony Ippolito M 50
Rosa Ippolito F 58
Charles Ippolito M 24
Maragret Ippolito F 25
Mary Ippolito F 22
Henry Ippolito M 20
Joseph Ippolito M 19
Louis Ippolito M 17
Ang*Th? Ippolito F 14

This puts Mary’s age as correct, and she likely would have been single here at this time. I don’t know why the 1910 census record would have her as single unless there was a separation?? My mother was born in Dec of 1910 and carried the name De Leuce. My Dileuce grandparents were supposedly married by 1906. I have yet to find any documentation but the first child, recorded as Annette De Leuce on SS Death Index, was born in 1906. Census has 1907. The last child, listed in the 1920 St Mary’s Orphanage list was Rose De Leuce at 4 years old, so she would have been born abt 1916. My Aunt Annette told me she died at 15. My mother, Madalena, aka Lena or Helen Marie was born in 1910 but the birth certificate was issued in 1935. I am assuming for Social Security purposes. There were 2 issues of her birth certificate, one a corrected version. The correction has name of child: Madalena Leuce changed to Madalena De Leuce. and in the mother’s maiden name section the correction is Leuce to Ippolito. The corrected birth certificate was signed by Michael De Leuce and witnessed by Antonio Simone and dated May 6, 1935. Michael DeLeuce address at this date looks like #59 Columbia St Newark NJ.

In all of my searches, I have never been able to come up with a marriage for Michael and Mary but the census found by Walt from genforum states:
1910 census at 42 Henry st. Michael Delucci(thats how it is spelled here),wife Mary and son Amedio??,2y (prob Emiddio) and daughter Dora age 4 years. Walt told me the nickname Dora could stand for Antoinette. So this is almost certainly my grandfather. I don't know how he found this record. I do not have access to record on sites that charge a fee. Just simply can't afford it. Really, the only things I have to go on are a few records pertaining to my mother and some very foggy memories of things told to me about 55 years ago. I do hope this is the correct Ippolito but perhaps not. Thank you for helping thus far.
Angela Marika Couch
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Angela Marika, I found the same 1905 census before and posted- to see my prevoius post- but I believe that this Mary Ippolito is not your Mary Ippolito...
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found the 1910 census; address: 46 Henry st
1910 United States Federal Census about Michael Delucci
Name: Michael Delucci
[Michael Defriece]
Age in 1910: 25
Birth Year: abt 1885
Birthplace: Italy
Home in 1910: Orange Ward 3, Essex, New Jersey
Race: White
Immigration Year: 1901
Relation to Head of House: Head
Marital Status: Married
Spouse's Name: Mary Delucci
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Neighbors: View others on page
Household Members:
Name Age
Michael Delucci 25
Mary Delucci 22 b. 1888 IT imm. 1901
Amele Delucci 2 son b. NJ (right: Emidio first name)
Dora Delucci 4 daughter b. NJ

pag 1 Image
http://s18.postimg.org/gjf35vjcp/1910_D ... _pag_1.jpg

pag 2: sorry I cannot post the image because the download is bad

Emidio De Leuce in 1920 census:
Emiddio M De Leuce, "United States Census, 1920"
Name: Emiddio M De Leuce
Event Type:
Event Year: 1920
Event Place: , Essex, New Jersey
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Birthplace: New Jersey
Birth Year (Estimated): 1908
Relationship to Head of Household:
Father's Birthplace:
Mother's Birthplace:
Household ID:
Sheet Number: 23
GS Film number: 1821037
Digital Folder Number: 4313338
Image Number: 00051

in St Mary Orphanage in Newark, Essex, NJ
as you can see Emidio De Leuce had same first name of Michael's father..
the other children:
Antoinette Deleuce 13
Lena Deleuce 9
Angelina Deleuce 7

also in St Mary Orphanage in Newark, Essex, NJ
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
angelamarika

Post by angelamarika »

Hi suanj

Thanks for the census image and the text of Emiddio M De Leuce (this is Michael II. I had the census image of the children in the orphanage but not the 1910 census. Was there a continuation page on the census with the name Dora age 4? Someone found that and said Dora was sometimes used for Antointte. I also noticed that the surname on the census image looks like Delucci which is still different from other places I have found. So it could be spelled in numerous ways. That makes it hard to narrow down. Other official records have it spelled differently: Service Reg as Dileuce, 1904 Ship Manifest as Di Leuce, and my mother’s birth certificate signed as De Leuce address 46 Henry St. But it is the same people. I think it will be difficult to find the Italy connection without a correct spelling.

I am very glad I found ItalianGenealogy.com. I’ve learned more in the last few days than in years of searching. Thanks to you and some other posters. I will be digging deeper now.

Thanks
Angela Marika Couch
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Angela, the bad interpretaztion and transcriptions of censuses are very normal.. all members of IG forum know abt that... the 1910 census is abt right family.. no doubts.
Abt the second page of census, for some reason, I saved on my pc but the image was black totally! So I no posted... In the second page was just Dora ... abt Dora first name or Antoniette first name.. you know that also Emidio ( 1 "d" in italian) becoming Michael ... so no problem... what I wish say is that the 1910 census is abt your ancestors. No doubts abt that...
Now we know that Michele italian surname spelling was DI LEUCI, that was born in Volturino;
abt Maria Ippolito or Ippoliti I have no further data...
she died so young... just finding the her arrival we can know more... if she was really born in 1888 and immigrated in 1901 she was a girl at this time, so maybe immigrated with parents... or with some relative... and she must be in 1905 census, but the previious 1905 census is not abt right person, so we must to search better.. it is possible that in 1905 census the her surname is mispelled and for this reason we cannot find...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH