Surname Adonia

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
janwil64

Surname Adonia

Post by janwil64 »

Hi all

Just came across your forum regarding Italian genealogy, One of my ancestors married a James Adonia son of Marco Adonia in Liverpool England and according to his marriage record his birth is 1847. I have found this record regarding his arrive to England

James Idonia
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Arrival Date: 10 May 1858
Port of Departure: Alexandria, Egypt
Ship: Colombi
Country of Origin/Native of: W Nales Italy
Class: HO 3
Piece: 92

It says that he is a native of W Nales Italy, my question is, is there such a place in Italy or is it suppose to say Naples? and how can I trace him further back? althoough they did not have children it would be great to put some Italian ancestory in my tree

Cheers :)
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Surname Adonia

Post by PippoM »

From Italian White Pages, Adonia and Idonia seem to be quite uncommon surnames that can be found in the Catania area (Sicily). Anyway, in 1858, Italy did not exist as a state, and its Southern part was known as "Kingdom of Two Sicilies" or popularly as "Kingdom of Naples" (as it was named before). So, maybe the reference in your record can actually be to Naples, but meant as a State rather than as a city.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Surname Adonia

Post by suanj »

janwil64 wrote:Hi all

Just came across your forum regarding Italian genealogy, One of my ancestors married a James Adonia son of Marco Adonia in Liverpool England and according to his marriage record his birth is 1847. I have found this record regarding his arrive to England

James Idonia
Port of Arrival: Southampton, England
Arrival Date: 10 May 1858
Port of Departure: Alexandria, Egypt
Ship: Colombi
Country of Origin/Native of: W Nales Italy
Class: HO 3
Piece: 92

It says that he is a native of W Nales Italy, my question is, is there such a place in Italy or is it suppose to say Naples? and how can I trace him further back? althoough they did not have children it would be great to put some Italian ancestory in my tree

Cheers :)
Hi, on the ship's manifest James was a merchant.. but if he was born in 1847 and arrived in 1858.. he was just a child...? you sure abt the birth year?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH