Fedele Grande

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Fedele Grande

Post by cdar1231 »

Greetings to ItalianGenealogy Users & Experts,

I have had such good success here in the past that i am seeking your kind assistance again. I’m looking for information on my maternal great grandfather before he came to the US. I have a bit of information on the family in the US but the challenge comes from the fact that we don’t know for sure what the original last name was. My great grandfather was known as Fedele Grant in the US. Sometimes I’ve seen it spelled Fredele (with an “r”) and sometimes I’ve seen it spelled Grante (with a final “e”). However, i found an Ellis Island record that shows it as Fedele GRANDE when he first came from Italy. In the US, I’ve found the 1910, 1920, 1930, and 1940 Federal Census; I’ve also found the 1915 and 1925 NY State Census, in addition to various other records.

In addition, I know the following: Fedele was the son of Pasquale and Philomena and was born on 15 Sept 1881 in Collecorvino, Abruzzo. He died on 24 March 1961 in Waterbury, CT. He married Rose Caruso. Together they had 10 children: Patrick, Filomena (Maime), Colona (Carolyn), Giovanni (John), Antonio (Tony), Frederick, Jessie, Rose, Mary, and Ferdinand (my maternal grandfather).

I'm interested to find records in Italy for him and his parents (and further, depending on the time and patience of those who read this). I'd also be interested to know if he had any brothers or sisters.

As always, I am very grateful and appreciate of any information that anyone can share.

-chris ragonese
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Fedele Grande

Post by adelfio »

Don't know if you have it their marriage record Lady of Mt Carmel Church
Fedele Grande and Rosina Caruso
Ohio, County Marriages, 1789-1994
Ashtabula
Marriage records 1906-1908 vol P
Image 322 of 324
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n156185070

FAMILY HISTORY FILMS OF Registri dello stato civile di Collecorivno (Pescara), 1809-1910
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog/440873

THE ONE FILM WILL GIVE YOU INFO YOU SEEK
Indici decennali (nati, matrimoni, morti) 1876-1885, 1896-1905 Indice decennale (cittadinanze) 1876-1885 Nati 1866-1910 Pubblicazioni 1866-1893 Family History Library INTL Film # 2015696

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Mary,

Thank you again so much!!! I knew they were married in Ashtabula but couldn't find the record. I will look over everything!! Have a great holiday and thank you again!!

-chris
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Marty! So sorry! "Mary" was a typo while using my iphone!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Your very welcome
Marty Mary close enough Chris

Marty Mary Adelfio
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Chris, in Collecorvino ten-index of births nobody Fedele Grande record:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :n76642275
I believe that he was born, maybe, in Loreto Aprutino:
U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Fedele Garante
Name: Fedele Garante
Birth Date: 15 Sep 1881
Birth Place: Loreto, Italy
Residence: New Haven, Connecticut
Race: White

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Fedele Grande birth registration in Loreto Aprutino: #12
pag 1
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1186492231
pag 2
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1186492231
Fedele was a foundling, left in the "ruota" (wheel) on 14 sep 1881 and the child was 5 days old.. the informant was Lucia Gianvittorio 48 old who asked of to raise it .. until the commune find a nurse/nanny...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Hi Suanj,

You may have discovered the root of the mystery. I ASSUMED Collecorvino based on the Ellis Island record. Although the birth date was wrong on that record, I accepted it as the correct record because my grandfather had told me that his dad was from Abruzzo (that's all we knew) and that he was married in Ashtabula, Ohio. That record seemed to confirm Abruzzo since his residence was Collecorvino and it also showed he was going to stay with a cousin in Madison, OH. I checked a map and found that Madison is very close to Ashtabula. I had never been able to find any record link to Ashtabula until Marty found the marriage record. I knew that he and the family then moved to Moreau, NY and found the census records to support that. I also knew that he then moved to Waterbury, CT because even my mom remembered them living there and have the 1940 census to confirm that. The birth date and parents names comes from the death certificate which I obtained from the state of CT. I have no way to confirm or deny the info you found. What is more, I can't read what the records say. Would you give me a basic summary? Also, would he have the name of his birth parents or would he have the name of the people who raised him? If he was left, how would they know the birth parents names? The death certificate says his parents were Pasquale and Philomena. Do these records you found confirm that? Finally, I have in my records a comment from some relative that they thought Fedele had a step-brother; maybe that meant the son of the people who raised him?

This is an interesting development and thank you so very much for your time and assistance in figuring it out!

-chris
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

suanj wrote: I believe that he was born, maybe, in Loreto Aprutino:
U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942 about Fedele Garante
Name: Fedele Garante
Birth Date: 15 Sep 1881
Birth Place: Loreto, Italy
Residence: New Haven, Connecticut
Race: White

suanj
Yes, that's the correct WWII draft card because I recognize the address, 31 Bradley Ave. I don't know what they did to the last name on that form...
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi
abt the birth act of Fedele I already wrote a little summary ( the informant: Lucia Gianvittorio, seamstress, she was 68 old and not 48 as I wrote, sorry for type error) with the basic infos.. it are no he family's name that raised it... just that he was found in the wheel foundling on 25 Flowers st in Loreto Aprutino around the 9:15 or 21:15 of 14 sep 1881, and the baby boy appearing old of 5 days abt...

I believe and that by experience, that Fedele was the son of a married or unmarried woman, maybe daughter of Lucia Gianvittorio or her neighbor.. but I believe Lucia's daughter... it is a my idea.... the parent's names on death certificate (and always by my experience in the search abt foundlings), were the names of the couple that raised it, maybe in Collecorvino... Fedele never knew the biological parents because no side note on the birth act and no further infos.. he left the Italy under the birth name, so never he was recognized...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Suanj,

Thank you so much. That is all very interesting. I guess, if true, it is also a bit of a dead end....

Thank you again for all of your help!!

-chris
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

whe the search is abt a foundling.. it is always a dead end... because it is impossible to find more...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Hi again, Suanj,

After thinking about it some more, i'm still confused a little and maybe you can clarify for me. Who gave him the name Fedele Grande and who had the surname Grande? Would that be the name that the people who raised him gave or did his birth mother give him HER name?

Thank you for all your kind assistance,

-chris
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the foundling had the name that the registrar wanted... a name that he wanted give... ... the registrar/clerk give the first name of Fedele and the surname of Grande.. no relationship with nobody .. just a fantasy name... so the child grew up with Fedele Grande name.. and we know no who was the family that raised it... the parent's names on the death certificate are false.. because he was a foundling... no parents.... maybe the couple that raised it was aPasquale and a Philomena... who know.. but no with Grande surname .. Grande was the surname given from registrar... as for all foundlings in Italy; the name was assigned by registrar .. just for to give a identity to child...
regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Suanj,

Ok. I understand now. On behalf of me and all of the "Grant" family, we thank you!!! This had long been a family mystery. We are very grateful for your kindness and patience!

Thank you again,

-chris