Rainford and Wine Growing in Taormina, Sicily

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
robinrainford

Rainford and Wine Growing in Taormina, Sicily

Post by robinrainford »

British by birth rather than Italian, my family spent significant years in Taormina, Sicily, and I'd love to know when. I don't know how to use Italian records and these would have been civil rather than parish records. Any ideas are very welcome.

Edward Henry RAINFORD probably came from Middlesex, England about 1875. His father, Paul Edward Rainford, was the British Vice Consul of Messina. On 14 Aug 1877, the elder Rainford's improvident conflict with local police was covered in the press. Paul and Edward had a wine growing establishment at Taormina in an old monastery--it was sold 12 Jun 1879. There may have also been a winemaking factory in Giordina, freehold from the crown.

Edward married Violet Mary Kendall in a consular marriage in 1877. In 1888, he began publishing papers in Australia and England as a viticulture expert in grapevine pruning from Sicily.

Their two daughers, Adjah and Ione, were born in Sicily between 1888 and 1891, don't have birthdates. Their son Lionel may have been born in Sicily in 1891 or 92.

On 14 Sep 1890, his father Paul died and was buried in the English Cemetery at Messina. Shortly afterward, Edward took a Viticulture position with the government in Queensland, Australia. His wife and children joined him on 27 Aug 1903, departing from England.

In Australia he continued in Viticulture and often described Sicilian techniques for ensuring vine health. He died in Brisbane 2 Feb 1938 at age 84.

Robin Rainford
Minnesota, United States
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Rainford and Wine Growing in Taormina, Sicily

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello Robin,
Here is a birth act for Violetta, b 1890.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=14215801

Lionel, b 1891,

There may be more records at https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D1887904

Hope this helps,
Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Hello again :D
Here is Caterina b 1887.

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
robinrainford

Post by robinrainford »

Paul, this is a gift. If you knew how long I've looked for these records, thinking that the children's distinctive first names would help and instead they were just incorrect. This also places them in Italy a year earlier than I thought.
The ages in census and ship records were a little vague and varied.
Many thanks for your swift response.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

You're welcome, Robin. :D
Thank you for coming to this forum with your query and
thanks to the many volunteers who index these records and
post them on-line. Makes researching easier.
The best to you,
Paul
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Great Job Paolo
HERES VIOLETTA BIRTH ACT MARKED TRANSLATION
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Thank you, Marty :D for taking the time to make learning to read Italian documents
much easier. A good idea and I commend you for it.
Paul
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Hi Paul
You know I figure the more help on here the better the quality of the researching of family history for users of IG

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
robinrainford

Post by robinrainford »

Adelfio:
My cousins also thank you for producing the Violetta birth act, which I have shared with all our family. It is better than a simple translation because we can see the language, script and still understand.
Many thanks, Robin