Julia (Guino or Lulu) Caruso

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Julia (Guino or Lulu) Caruso

Post by tcrawford246 »

Hi Everyone,

I need some help trying to find more information about my 2nd great grandmother. Her name was Julia Caruso, but in census records her name is either Guino or Lulu. I believe she was born September 28, 1879 in Amantea, Cosenza, Calabria, Italy. I'm not sure of the date of her arrival to the United States it is either 1894 or 1895. On May 27, 1896 she married Joseph Bruno in Brockway, Pennsylvania. After they were married they moved to Brookville, Pennsylvania and they had ten children: Theodore, Carmella, Margaret, Flora, Cora, George, Grace, Amanda, Anna Mary, and David. Between 1920 and 1930 the family moved back to Brockway, Pennsylvania. This is all the information I have about her.

I was wondering if I could have help finding her parents and which date is correct for her arrival to the United States.

Thanks,
Thad
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Julia (Guino or Lulu) Caruso

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website Thad. There are records of Amantea, Cosenza online at familysearch.org How did you get her birthdate and where she was from?
There is a birth record of Giovina Caruso on that date

INDEX# 134
1879 Sept 28th(RECORDED) born on the 26th in the town of Amantea birth of Giovina Caruso daughter of Pietro Caruso age 31 farmhand and Maria Guzio
familysearch.org
Italy, Cosenza, Paola, Ci...on (Tribunale), 1866-1910
Cosenza
Amantea
Nati 1866-1880
Image 1724 of 1921
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1388810932

CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tcrawford246 »

Adelfio,

Thank you for finding this information. You asked about how I know her birth date and where she was from: I was looking through my grandma's things one day and I came across some funeral cards and one of them was Julia's funeral card and it had her birth date on it. As for where she was from I kind of pieced that information together. I was searching through travel manifests for my great grandfather and I found Caruso's that were coming to Brockway, Pennsylvania (where my family lives) and in other manifests I found more Caruso's that were also coming to Brockway and they were all from Amantea, so I basically assumed that Julia was from Amantea also.

I hope that my explanation makes sense.

Thad
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tcrawford246 »

I have been looking on familysearch.org for records of Julia's (Giovina) family members like siblings, grandparents, aunts, and uncles and I have had zero luck. I have tried many different searches and I can't find anything and it has been very frustrating. Can anyone help me?!

Thanks,
Thad
Joannsalvo
Elite
Elite

Post by Joannsalvo »

Try this site, it is free to register:
http://88.59.143.158/ascs_web/index.fac ... EEB0.node1
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

PARENTS OF GIOVINA
Marriage of Pietro Caruso and Maria Rosa Guzzo
INDEX#4
1869 Jan 30th in the marriage of Pietro Caruso age 22 son of Francesco Saverio Caruso and Anna Ombres resided in Amantea married Maria Rosa Guzzo age 18 daughter of Giuseppe Guzzo and Anna Caruso resided in Terrati (THEY WERE MARRIED IN TERRATI)
PG1 LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1069273348
PG2 LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1069273348

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tcrawford246
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tcrawford246 »

Joannsalvo, thank you for posting about that website. I knew about it, but it has been so long since I've been on there that I forgot about it, but since you reminded me about it I have used it extensively.

Adelfio, thank you for finding that record. I used the information from it along with the website joannsalvo found to help me trace my family back to my 6th great grandparents.

You guys were very helpful and thank you for taking the time to help me out.

Thad