Wife and Daughters Eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Franco29

Wife and Daughters Eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by Franco29 »

It appears I am going to qualify for Italian citizenship through my maternal grandfather.
Assuming this happens, will my wife and daughters become eligible? My wife is Colombian by birth but a naturalized US citizen. My older daughter, 25, the same. My younger daughter, 15, was born in the US.
Thank you.
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Wife and Daughters Eligible for Italian Citizenship?

Post by jennabet »

Your youngest daughter born in the USA would automatically inherit Italian citizenship through you and be recognized at the same time as long as it occurs before her 18th birthday. Your US naturalized wife can apply for Italian citizenship through marriage after you are recognized. If your oldest daughter is not your natural child (I'm assuming she's not because she's also a naturalized US citizen), she would not qualify at all for Italian citizenship jure sanguinis, unless you legally adopted her when she was a minor.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Thank you, Jennabet. My older daughter was legally adopted by me when she was 9 years old, meaning that she could apply for Italian citizenship after I receive mine? Great news! Thank you again!
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Your 25 year old daughter can apply with you (assuming you are within the same consular jurisdiction). You will, of course, submit her birth certificate and adoption papers with all the other required documents. Her naturalization papers will likely also be necessary. When I applied with my adult son, we received our recognition on the same day.

Your 15 year old daughter will be part your application, and her birth certificate should be submitted as well. But, as a minor, she will not have to submit her own application and be present at the interview. She obtains citizenship when you do.

Your wife will have to wait until your citizenship is recognized.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Hi, mier. My older daughter isn't in the same consular jurisdition. I'm guessing this adds hoops to jump through for her?
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Not a major issue, but it may be easier then for her to wait until your citizenship is recognized before applying herself. In the meantime it may be a good idea for her to check with her consulate to determine what they will require. She may be able to use your Italian-registered birth certificate (after your acceptance of course) and that would simplify the process for her. Or the consulate may be willing to check with your consulate to obtain copies of the necessary documents. It's important to check, though, because each consulate handles such situations differently.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

Thanks for the info. Always appreciated.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Franco, after having thought more about the circumstances of your oldest daughter, you may want to consider the following, although I could be wrong about this:

If, by means of legal adoption, your oldest daughter is considered to be your natural child for purposes of inheriting Italian citizenship jures sanguinis, the fact that she is naturalized may mean that she renounced her Italian citizenship if the naturalization occurred before 1992 as happened to all Italians who naturalized prior to that date. The fact that she may have been naturalized as a minor at the same time as her mother would have no bearing because the actions of the mother would affect the minor child. Your wife's case, of course would be different because she would be acquiring Italian citizenship jures matrimony meaning that she will become a naturalized Italian citizen instead of inheriting it by bloodline through a parent. At any rate, it would be best to check with your Italian consulate about this.
Franco29

Post by Franco29 »

I have no doubt there will be twists and turns getting all this done, and I'm sure it will be time consuming. Whatever needs to be done, will be, and ultimately we'll reach the finish line no worse for the wear. Thank you for the advice.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

OK, you're welcome. Good luck. Let me know how it turns out.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Jennabet makes a good point. I think, though, your daughter would be clear if her naturalization took place before the adoption. You may want to post your situation at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org
I believe a similar situation was presented on that site, and two of the moderators are very knowledgeable about Italian citizenship law.