VOLPIN, Giovanni from Rovigo - Veneto region

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

VOLPIN, Giovanni from Rovigo - Veneto region

Post by volpin »

Hello everybody,

I am looking for practical help to retrieve documents related to the birth and/or baptism of my great-grand-father Giovanni VOLPIN, from Rovigo (either the city or province) in the Veneto region in Italy.

He emigrated to Brazil, settled in Pedreira - São Paulo state, and died there in 1932 at 77 years of age, meaning he was born in or around 1855 (1854 - 1856).
His parents were Paolo VOLPIN and Teresa CAPATO.
Upon arrival in Brazil, their first names were changed to João, Paulo, and Theresa.

I have written to the "diocesi di Adria - Rovigo", to cultural centers in the region, but with the data I have they do not seem to be able to locate anything.

We do not know in what year he left Italy and arrived in Brazil, from where he left in Italy (as Veneto is in the north perhaps Venice or Genova), and where in Brazil he arrived (large ports are Santos in the São Paulo area and Rio de Janeiro).

I am wondering whether people have looked in the same area (Rovigo province or Veneto region), and if yes, where you were successful (local administration, church, cultural group, etc.)

In case anybody has experience with the search for documentation regarding people emigrating from Northern Italy (ship registries/documents etc.), that would be helpful as well.

Thank you in advance, grazie !
G. VOLPIN
GGF Volpin - Ceregnano, Rovigo, Veneto
GGM Sartorato - Bovolenta, Padova, Veneto
GGF Lattari - Fuscaldo, Cosenza, Calabria
GGM Storchi - San Benedetto Po, Mantova, Lombardia
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Re: VOLPIN, Giovanni from Rovigo - Veneto region

Post by nuccia »

These are the Giovanni Volpin I found arriving in Brazil. Maybe one of them is yours? You can use http://www.cemla.com/ to check for other immigration records.
Apellido y Nombre Edad Estado Civil Profesión Religión Nacionalidad Barco Procedencia Datos de arribo Nacido en Fecha de arribo / Puerto
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 23 S JORNALERO CATOLICA ITALIANA PERSEO GENOVA 01/03/1884 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONOCIDO
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 30 C JORNALERO CATOLICA ITALIANA BISAGNO GENOVA 02/02/1885 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONOCIDO
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 20 S ZAPATERO CATOLICA ITALIANA ADRIA GENOVA 12/10/1885 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONOCIDO
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 21 S AGRICULTOR CATOLICA ITALIANA NORD AMERICA GENOVA 02/12/1885 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONOCIDO
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 18 S AGRICULTOR CATOLICA ITALIANA SIRIO GENOVA 05/01/1886 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONOCIDO
VOLPINI, GIOVANNI 37 S AGRICULTOR CATOLICA ITALIANA RE VITTORIO GENOVA 26/10/1912 - BUENOS AIRES DESCONO
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

You may also want to check here: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1482864 .. Italy, Rovigo, Rovigo, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1871-1937
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

Hi Nuccia, thanks for this!!

I think Giovanni VOLPIN & Paschôa SANTOLATO who met each other on the boat from Italy (and married in Campinas, São Paulo state) arrived somewhere in Brazil, most likely in Santos (the largest port/harbor).
The list you show are from people arriving in Buenos Aires in Argentina. they could have arrived there and moved to Brazil, but I think most people stayed in the country where they arrived.

Calculating the year of voyage:

Giovanni (or João in Brazil) died in 1932 at age 77 (per his Brazilian death certificate).
So he was born in or around 1855 (in Rovigo, Italy).
Family stories state he emigrated/arrived at the age of 18, so they should have been on a ship in or around 1873, so I am most interested in entry records and/or ship arrival lists from the period 1870 – 1875.

The www.cemla.com website is very useful, however the database starts at year 1882.
Very interesting is the fact that it has a link to the website of the museu da imigração www.museudaimigracao.org.br

Concerning the https://familysearch.org/search/collection/1482864 ..
Italy, Rovigo, Rovigo, Civil Registration (Tribunale), 1871-1937

Unfortunately, the first date of 1871 is 16 years later than his calculated birth date.

Lastly, Rovigo became part of Italy either in 1861 (unification) or 1866 (third Italian war of independence), 6 to 11 years after Giovanni's calculated birth date.
I am just wondering what it was considered before, Venice, Austria?

Thanks a lot for showing me this source of information!!!!!!

Cheers
G. Volpin
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Great post - and truly informative! THANK YOU for the information you taught me! I will look and see if I can find anything for you regarding the change in borders for Rovigo and get back to you!
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
nuccia
Staff
Staff

Post by nuccia »

Meanwhile not sure if this site of history maps will help = but you never know!

http://www.edmaps.com/html/italy.html
nuccia - IG Moderator
Italian Surname Database
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi,
I checked in "Liste di Leva" ( physical examination for national military service)database for Rovigo and Padova province ( men born from 1846 to 1902) and the results abt all Giovanni Volpin born in the 2 provinces:
Surname- First Name- Number- Birth Date-Birth Llace -Province- Birth Year- Commune- Military District- Father Name- Mother Name :

VOLPIN Giovanni 532,00 13/09/1859 PADOVA PD 1859 ALBIGNASEGO PADOVA Giuseppe Raimondo Giuditta

VOLPIN Giovanni 153,00 13/09/1859 PADOVA PD 1860 ALBIGNASEGO PADOVA Giuseppe Raimondi Giuditta

VOLPIN Giovanni 516,00 31/01/1876 CASALSERUGO PD 1876 CASALSERUGO PADOVA Luigi

VOLPIN Giovanni 882,00 11/08/1878 MASERA' DI PADOVA PD 1878 MASERA' DI PADOVA PADOVA Domenico

VOLPIN Giovanni 1998,00 14/08/1883 MASERA' DI PADOVA PD 1883 MASERA' DI PADOVA PADOVA Luigi

VOLPIN Giovanni 1314,00 29/06/1886 MASERA' DI PADOVA PD 1886 MASERA' DI PADOVA PADOVA Ledovico

VOLPIN Giovanni 131,00 10/10/1886 CONSELVE PD 1886 POLVERARA PIOVE DI SACCO Angelo

VOLPIN Giovanni 22,00 09/06/1895 ARZEGRANDE PD 1895 ARZEGRANDE PIOVE DI SACCO Luigi

VOLPIN Giovanni 31,00 03/01/1892 CASALSERUGO PD 1892 CASALSERUGO PADOVA Angelo

VOLPIN Giovanni 38,00 02/08/1892 MASERA' DI PADOVA PD 1892 MASERA' DI PADOVA PADOVA Giuseppe

VOLPIN Giovanni 39,00 13/09/1892 MASERA' DI PADOVA PD 1892 MASERA' DI PADOVA PADOVA Pietro

VOLPIN Giovanni 42,00 09/06/1895 ARZEGRANDE PD 1900 ARZEGRANDE PIOVE DI SACCO Luigi

VOLPIN Felice Angelo Giovanni 672,00 15/04/1890 ADRIA RO 1890 ADRIA ADRIA Luigi Raimondo Petrarghin Nata

VOLPIN Fulvio Giovanni 19,00 02/09/1893 CASTELGUGLIELMO RO 1893 S.BELLINO LENDINARA Domenico Ghiraldini Ang.

VOLPIN Giuseppe Giovanni 191,00 05/01/1897 ADRIA RO 1897 ADRIA ADRIA Raimondo Patrachin Madda

VOLPINI Domenico Giovanni 97,00 25/05/1861 CANDA RO 1861 CANDA BADIA POLESINE Gaetano Contato Maria
no one born in 1855....
What it is important .. it is to know the birthplace and the parish where your ancestor was baptized; because the civil records starting from 1871, you can obtain just the baptism certificate helpful for dual citizenship, but just the name and probable birth year is no enough for to write in the right parish and to request the baptism certificate... the priest no make the search, just the priest can relay the baptism certificate, but you must provide the basic data: the baptism parish, the birth town and the birth date...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

Dear Suanj, thanks a lot!!!

Thank you for sharing this useful new source "Liste di Leva" (physical examination for national military service) database for Rovigo and Padova province (men born from 1846 to 1902). There is so much available these days, you either have to know about it or be told about it by kind people like yourselves! Once I have put some more pieces together myself, I hope I can also be usefull for others searching their roots.

When writing to the "diocese di Adria - Rovigo" I realized it is essential to have the exact birth date and place or birth in order for them to check whether there is a birth record available. I have some leads on this so I hope to get this soon!

Do I understand it correctly that with the exact birth date, the place or birth, and place (and date) of baptism, I can get a baptism certificate which should be helpful (or even enough) for the "full file" to apply for dual citizenship?

Before even considering applying for Italian citizenship, I understand I need the following "full file":

GGGF-Paolo: death certificate (as Rovigo was not Italy in 1855, proving he was alive in 1861/1866 so he could have passed on his Italian citizenship to the minor Giovanni

GGF-Giovanni ("João" in Brazil): Italian birth certificate / Italian baptism certificate & the (Brazilian) death certificate.

GF: birth certificate & death certificate.

Father: birth certificate.

MY birth certificate.
(MY Sons' birth certificates - can they be included in the same application?)

AND, a document from a Brazilian public office that indicates/states that none of the people from Giovanni ("João" in Brazil) althrough myself and my sons were ever nationalized.

Lastly, as you seem to be based in Italy, I was wondering whether you would know sources to check when Rovigo (or even the region of Veneto) became part of Italy; either in 1861 (unification) or 1866 (third Italian war of independence).
And perhaps also what it was (considered) just before, so around 1855?
Part of the republic of Venice/Venezia, part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire?

Thank you helping me shedding some light into my past!!
G. Volpin
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

The map below "Italy 1815-1861" seems to indicate Rovigo was still part of the Austrian-Hungarian empire in 1861.

http://www.sscnet.ucla.edu/polisci/facu ... /ITALY.GIF

As Rovigo was occupied by Italian forces in 1866 during the Third Italian War of Independence, it should have been added to Italy in 1866 or "shorty" after (signing of the treaty agreeing the new borders) - to be found out !

Keep you posted :-)
volpin
Rookie
Rookie

Post by volpin »

The map of the Unification of Italy - 1850s to the 1870s below shows Rovigo (Veneto & Veneice) was added to Italy latest by 1870.

http://www.wwnorton.com/college/history ... ifital.htm
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

the Veneto region became part of Italy Kingdom in the 3th Indipendence war; the Austrian-Hungarian empire on 24 aug 1866 left the veneto region to Napoleon III° ( France Empire); on 19 oct 1866 the France left Veneto to Italy Kingdom.. so from 19 oct 1866 the Veneto was totally italian.. however the people ethnicity was italian however... so I believe.. you need of these Italian certificates:

Giovanni Volpin baptism certificate by church
Paolo Volpin death certificate by Commune .. ( if he died after 1871 otherwise you need of church death certificate.. but he must be died after the 19 oct 1866!)

and knowing the basic data for to obtain the certificates, the church certificates are helpful for dual citizenship just in the case that the civil records was no started in the Commune; I believe that the Italian Consulate will wish also a official certificate from Commune, stating that in the Commune the civil records started from 1871 .. or so .. because many Communes in the area started the civil records also after 1871...
regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH