Projetto = foundling?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Projetto = foundling?

Post by tlombardo »

I'm really confused. I finally found my great grandfather, Ignazio Lombardo on a ship manifest. The age is right, the town is right, the occupation is close (bricklayer/stonemason), but he is listed as Projetto Ignazio Lombardo. He lists his brother living in NY as Projetto Pietro Lombardo (yes, he did have a brother Pietro). The only thing I really know about his family in Italy is that his mother died when he was very young, and his father stayed behind in Italy. No one in the family has ever heard the name Projetto before...did this mean he was a foundling? Would it ever be used as a first name or "title"? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Projetto = foundling?

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website Where did he resided in the US
MANIFEST PG LINK
http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 3828040217

Have you search for his birth record to see his parents info online Italy, Agrigento, Sciacca...on (Tribunale),Sciacca 1861-1929 familysearch.org

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

tlombardo wrote:I'm really confused. I finally found my great grandfather, Ignazio Lombardo on a ship manifest. The age is right, the town is right, the occupation is close (bricklayer/stonemason), but he is listed as Projetto Ignazio Lombardo. He lists his brother living in NY as Projetto Pietro Lombardo (yes, he did have a brother Pietro). The only thing I really know about his family in Italy is that his mother died when he was very young, and his father stayed behind in Italy. No one in the family has ever heard the name Projetto before...did this mean he was a foundling? Would it ever be used as a first name or "title"? Anyone have any thoughts on this?
If you provide us with some details (year of birth, town of birth) maybe we can locate a birth record, or other information regarding his parents?

Can you post the ship manifest for us?

T.
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Thanks for the reponses. Marty, I could not find his birth record on Familyseach. He resided in Manhattan when he first came and ended up in Brooklyn eventually. He came here in 1902.

Tessa, he was born Sept 1883 in Sciacca. I was told his parents were Gioacchino Lombardo and Margarita Laeca. I don't know how to post the entire ship manifest. I got the information off the Ellis Island site. It will only let me print out partial pages. But the image I found is the Napoli, August 5, 1902. If you know of a site that lets you print the entire page or post a link, please let me know and I will post the manifest image.

Thanks for your help.
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think it is spelled Proetto and it is a middle name like it is in his fathers name in the birth record
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :976724588
INDEX# 502
1883 Sept 8th in the town of Sciacca at house on via Quartararo #40 birth of Ignazio Lombardo son Achille Proetto Lombardo and Margherita Sacco
Click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Wow! Thanks, Marty! I looked last night for the birth record and couldn't find it. This has to be him as his birth date was Sept 8! The parents names are a little different, but I was depending on elderly great-aunts and uncles to provide me with the information. I'll have to get someone to translate as my Italian is poor, but thank you so much for finding this record!
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

tlombardo wrote:Wow! Thanks, Marty! I looked last night for the birth record and couldn't find it. This has to be him as his birth date was Sept 8! The parents names are a little different, but I was depending on elderly great-aunts and uncles to provide me with the information. I'll have to get someone to translate as my Italian is poor, but thank you so much for finding this record!
What was his wife and children names is this Ignazio naturalization record
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

tlombardo wrote:Wow! Thanks, Marty! I looked last night for the birth record and couldn't find it. This has to be him as his birth date was Sept 8! The parents names are a little different, but I was depending on elderly great-aunts and uncles to provide me with the information. I'll have to get someone to translate as my Italian is poor, but thank you so much for finding this record!
Record #502
Dated 9 September 1883 at 9 AM at the town office in Sciacca
Before the official...
appeared Achille Proetto Lombardo, age 36, sailor, residing in Sciacca, to declare that at 6 PM yesterday (8th) of the current month at the place at Via Quartararo #40, to Margherita Sacco, his wife, manufacturer/trader [industriosa] living with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name IGNAZIO
Witness to the recording of this act was: Bernardo Friscia, 58, porter; and Giacomo Gulino, 32, porter.

T.
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

adelfio wrote:
What was his wife and children names is this Ignazio naturalization record
CLICK FOR RECORD KEEP CLICKING TO ENLARGE

Marty

Yes, Marty, this is definitely him! These are all the children....Jack, the oldest, was my grandfather. Where did you find this record? Is it on Family Search? Thank you so much for your help!
Teresa
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Tessa78 wrote:
Record #502
Before the official...
appeared Achille Proetto Lombardo, age 36, sailor, residing in Sciacca, to declare that at 6 PM yesterday (8th) of the current month at the place at Via Quartararo #40, to Margherita Sacco, his wife, manufacturer/trader [industriosa] living with him, was born a male child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name IGNAZIO
Witness to the recording of this act was: Bernardo Friscia, 58, porter; and Giacomo Gulino, 32, porter.

T.
Thank you for translating, Tessa! I wish now I had paid more attention to my Italian classes in school! Was it customary that a child be "presented" to town officials? Looks like they wasted no time in getting the birth registered.
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Do you have info on Pietro Lombardo?
Where he lived and his family?

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

adelfio wrote:Do you have info on Pietro Lombardo?
Where he lived and his family?

Marty
Heres Pietro Lombardo's birth act

Index#65
1872 Jan 21st in the town of Sciacca birth of Pietro Lombardo son of Achille Proetto Lombardo age 31 and Margherita Sacco age 23 daughter of deceased Pietro Sacco
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1125441428

Click for record keep clicking to enlarge

Also Salvatore Lombardo birth record
INDEX#392
1869 Sept 12th in the town of Sciacca birth of Pietro Lombardo son of Achille Proetto Lombardo and Margherita Sacco (GIOACHINO WAS PUT IN THE RECORD AS FATHER BUT WAS CORRECTED TO ACHILLE IN 1892 )
PG 1 LINK

PG 2 LINK

Marty

Marty
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Marty, I can't tell you how impressed I am! When I tell you that I have literally spent hours trying to research birth/marriage records, I'm not exaggerating! But I always come up empty. Part of my problem is I can't read Italian beyond basic words, so I must be missing what I need. Supposedly my grandfather, Giaocchino (Jack) was named after his paternal grandfather, so I'm confused about the name change on the birth record. All the other names became family names (Margaret, Pete, Sal, Lena) but never heard of Achille. Very strange, since they were set on naming children after family members.
Thanks again for you help. I'm sure I never would have found these records without you.
Teresa
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

tlombardo wrote:
Tessa78 wrote:
Record #502
Before the official...

T.
Thank you for translating, Tessa! I wish now I had paid more attention to my Italian classes in school! Was it customary that a child be "presented" to town officials? Looks like they wasted no time in getting the birth registered.
Yes, it was required, but there were exceptions when the weather was dangerous for the child, or if the child needed to be brought from a distance. Then, the declarant (usually the father) would bring witnesses with him to give testimony to the birth.

Child was often brought within a day to be presented, and often within 3 days to be baptized.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I have used familysearch.org Italy, Agrigento, Sciacca...on (Tribunale), 1861-1929 Agrigento Sciacca there are indexes behind most of the year record you are searching with a index number next to the name Some earlier years have no indexes so you will have to go through the record year one by one

Marty

Marty