Missing birth records?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Missing birth records?

Post by tlombardo »

I've searched for my great grandmother, Pietrina Marinello, born either Dec. 24 or 25, 1888 in Sciacca. However, on Family Search the records for 1888 end August 4 of that year. Parents were Santo Marinello and Antonia D'Asaro. I've found the ship manifest where Pietrina arrived with her mother, but no other records yet:

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 2625040097

Am I missing something with the birth records? There seems to be nearly 5 months missing. Would possibly be located somewhere else?
Teresa
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Missing birth records?

Post by pink67 »

Hi Teresa,

from Familysearch.org the birth act:

Birth Act number 765 - Year 1888

Marinello Petronilla was born in Sciacca on the day 26 december 1888, daughter of Marinello Santo, age 31, sailor and of his wife Antonia D'Asaro. address was Triolo street

image here:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :976724588
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Thank you for finding this. I guess the records are not in order. I was on page 2522 of the FamilySearch birth records, which ended August 4th, but you found this one for December on pg. 2318!

Can you tell me what the word is after "industriosa", after the mother's name?
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

HERES YOUR OWN LIST OF ITALIAN OCCUPATIONS
PG LINK
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... ngocc.html

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

Thanks, Marty...definitely a great list. My Italian has improved drastically over the past week or so! I still cannot find what those words mean. They may not be occupations, and when I put them into the Italian translation program, nothing comes up. After "Antonia D'Asaro, his wife, industrialist"....looks like...maybe...secolni comiventi or possibly (omiventi). I just can't make out the writing, although I've seen these words on other birth records. Can anyone decipher the writing?
Teresa
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

The more you research the better you get
The phase is seco lui convivente cohabiting with him
Antonia D'Asaro his wife a manufacture who lives with him
MARKED BIRTH RECORD

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
tlombardo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by tlombardo »

OK. Thanks for deciphering, Marty. I am getting better at this, but between the Italian and the handwriting, it's still challenging! I really appreciate the help you and the others have been giving me.
Teresa