The Roppolo's of Perosa Canavese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
bojickwoman

The Roppolo's of Perosa Canavese

Post by bojickwoman »

Hi all,

I've been working on my family tree for about 2 years. I think I have exhausted most of my research sites i.e. Ancestry, Family Search etc. I'm having a hard time going further back than my great grandparents. I have found the names of my great-great grandparents, but no other information about them. The only reason I now know their names is thanks to the freedom of information act, I have gotten a hold of my great grandmothers naturalization application.

I'm looking for information on Savino Roppolo (Sr.) and his wife Paulina Giardi. Both would have been born around 1860? From Perosa Canavese,italy, but my great grandmother, who was the oldest, was born in 1881 in Cassis, France. The youngest sibling, Savino Roppolo was born in 1900 in General Roca, Rio Negro, Argentina. I'm guessing the other siblings were born in Perosa Canavese, but cannot verify. They obviously moved around a lot because of the political climate of Italy at the time. I have no idea where I can find additional information on these ancestors. Any advise is appreciated! thanks.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: The Roppolo's of Perosa Canavese

Post by adelfio »

There are film records of Registri ecclesiastici di Perosa Canavese (Torino), 1565-1899 at Family History Library
Baptisms, marriages, deaths, church census.
Testo in italiano e latino.
Include indici parziali.
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

Thank you, I will check it out!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

For Perosa Canavese records you may wish to write directly to the comune...

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio, 1
10010 Perosa Canavese (TO)
ITALY

T.
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

Thank you Tessa, I will try that also!
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

I know this is an old post, but wanted to post an update. My aunt had several post cards, all from the same church. I took a stab in the dark and wrote a letter to that church. The assistants to the priest were kind enough to email me all the birth/marriage and death records they had on file for my family, which provided me a good bit of information, going back as far as the mid to late 1700's!
Zavarelli

Post by Zavarelli »

Hi Bijockwoman, my family too, the Vota's and Maridon's, are from Perosa Canavese. I have had a lot of trouble finding things past my great grandparents, and was wondering about the success you recently had on emailing the church. What was the address you used? I would love to write a letter to them and see if they can help me out. Also, after finding a lot about your family, did you notice anyone by the names of Domenica Maridon, Giuseppe Maridon, Marianna Enrico, Giuseppe Vota, Or Battista Vota? Thanks again for your help, I would love to write them a letter as you did
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

I actually had to write a regular letter to the church. I could not find an email address but one of the assistants did write me back via email, so here is her email address: berta.sandra@tiscali.it

The church:

Parrocchia Natvita 'Di Maria Vergine (Parrish of the Nativity of the Virgin Mary)
32, V. Umberto 10010
Perosa Canavese, TO
Italy

I'm sure it probably isn't the only one in Perosa, but it might be a good starting place. Perosa isn't that big! Hope this helps!
Zavarelli

Post by Zavarelli »

Thank you very very much!
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

Not a problem!
Zavarelli

Post by Zavarelli »

Hi again, sorry to keep bothering you, but did you write the letter in Italian or English? I wrote in I
English, my Italian is very rusty. Thanks again and I will keep you posted!
bojickwoman

Post by bojickwoman »

I used Google translate and translated from English to Italian. They wrote me back in Italian, so I pasted what they wrote into Google translate to translate it to English. I'm not sure if they speak English. I just assumed not because it is a rather small town up in the mountains. Not everyone has access to a university education. It worked well enough that they understood exactly what I was asking for.