Antonio Failla and Family from Castelbuono

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Antonio Failla and Family from Castelbuono

Post by siskojnash »

Hi. I just wanted to ask whether or not anyone could find out things about the Failla family in Castelbuono. The one I'm looking for is Antonio Failla, born in 1872 in Castelbuono. His wife's name was Antonia. I suspect the maiden name might have been Abbate, but I'm not certain. They had 4 sons: Michele Failla, Louis Failla (born July 26, 1905 in Philadelphia, PA and died in September 1986 in Farmingdale, Nassau County, New York, USA), Joseph Failla (born abt 1908, I think in New York) and Peter Failla (born November 29, 1906 in Philadelphia and died, I think, in March 1972 in Farmingdale, NY).
I know Antonio Failla came to the U.S. and had at least two of his sons in the U.S., and then the family came back to live in Castelbuono again until the children were adults. I don't know if Antonia was born in Castelbuono or not. I haven't been able to learn anything at all about her, just that she came back to Italy. I think Michele Failla never left there. On Louis Failla's passenger list, it says he was going to stay with his uncle, Giuseppe Abbate, in Philadelphia. That's why I think Antonia's maiden name may have been Abbate. Giuseppe Abbate was born on December 8, 1872 in Sicily. I suspect it was Castelbuono. He was married to Anna Mazzola, born in 1874 in Sicily.
I would like to be able to find out anything I can about the family in Italy. Thank you.
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Failla and Family from Castelbuono

Post by adelfio »

Checked 1872 for Antonio Failla no results found a POSSIBLE BIRTH OF Antonio Failla in 1873
INDEX#150
1873 April 6th in Castelbuono birth of Antonio Failla son of Pietro Failla age 40 son of deceased Mariano and Teresa Colletti age 39 daughter of deceased Antonio
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n476749651

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I found this on familysearch.org

Peter Failla, "Pennsylvania, Philadelphia City Births, 1860-1906"

Name: Peter Failla
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Birth
Event Date: 29 Nov 1906
Event Place: Philadelphia, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
Race: W
Father's Name: Antony Failla
Father's Titles and Terms:
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Father's Age: 28
Mother's Name: Antonia Matzolli
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Age: 28
If this is right Antonio was born in 1878

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think this more like it
INDEX#309
1878 Nov 28th in the town of Castelbuono birth of Antonio Failla son of LUIGI FAILLA and Antonia Raimondo presented by midwife Antonia Mancuso age 52
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n476749651

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Luigi Failla and Antonia Raimondo
INDEX#20
1867 Nov 14th in the town of Castelbuono marriage of Luigi Failla age 26 farmer son of deceased Michelangelo Failla and Antonia Raimondo
married to Anna Raimondo age 24 daughter of deceased Vincenzo Raimondo and ANTONIA ABBATE
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... X:33170596

CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you! I think I must have had an idea of Antonio Failla's birth date from his passenger list. I wonder if I was looking at the wrong one, then.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Luigi Failla's passenger list said he was going to stay with his uncle Giuseppe Abbate in Philadelphia. Do you think that they could have lied on the passenger list? Or could Antonia have had a sister, or maybe Antonio, and they married Giuseppe Abbate. I wonder who he was married to. According to my info he was married to Anna Mazzola, who was born in Sicily abt 1874. So he couldn't have been an "uncle", right?
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Would have been a uncle on Antonio's mothers side Anna Raimondo daughter of Vincenzo Raimondo and ANTONIA ABBATE (GIUSEPPE SISTER??)

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I guess all I have to do is look up Giuseppe and Antonia Abbate and find out if they have the same parents, then. Do you think there could be a marriage document for Vincenzo Raimondo and Antonia Abbate?
I was trying to see if I could find Antonia Matzolli, the one who married Antonio Failla. I have a list of names to check for 1878 births. I didn't see the name Matzolli, but I saw Antonia Mazzola for #22. I haven't had time to check that out yet, although I would need it translated anyway.
There are 17 people named Mazzola that were born in 1878 in Castelbuono. Do you think this could be the Antonia I'm searching for? She was supposed to be the same age as Antonio, according to her son's birth information above.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I think the name Matzolli on familysearch is a typo for Mazzoli/Mazzola

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Could you please translate this document for Antonia Mazzola and the Arcangela Mazzola one, if it seems to be a link?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

I've never tried to put an attachment here, so I'm not sure if this can be read. It was #22 in 1878. Please let me know whether or not you can see the actual document. All I see is a tiny corner. I just realized that you can click on it and drag the document over to view it. That's good to know.
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Would it be possible to also post copies of their passenger lists? They must be there, since some of their children were born in Philadelphia. Maybe those would answer some questions.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Antonio Failla and Antonia Mazzola
INDEX#20
1904 May 10 in the town of Castelbuono marriage of Antonio Failla age 25 son of Luigi Failla and Anna Raimondo married Antonia Mazzola age 28 daughter of Pietro Mazzola and Santa Marinese
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n735692532

YOUR BIRTH RECORD OF ANTONIA MAZZOLA
INDEX#22
1878 Jan 17th in the town of Castelbuono birth of Antonia Mazzola daughter of Pietro Mazzola and Santa Marinese

Marty

Marty
siskojnash
Elite
Elite

Post by siskojnash »

Thank you so much! So that confirms that it is her. What about the other Mazzola on the same page as Antonia? Is that person connected?
Also, I was just looking at the marriage document and noticing that it looks like their middle names are there. What are they? And I was also curious why it would say that Antonio is 25 when both of them were born in 1878.