Francesco De Milita Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Catch Up

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

You’ve been great, thank you Erudita. I think I’ve probably covered very similar ground to you today and come back with similar results. I hadn’t realised Catalina had a son but since reading your last post have found the baptism record on Family Search. I have looked for Domingo’s death record also and not located.

The passengers to Argentina website is great although it only starts at 1882. I spent some time searching the first link you posted and came back with similar results to you. The link to the Excel spreadsheets worked really well as I was able to “sort” all the Francesco/Francisco names together so it made it easier. I looked at 1882-1887. I saw lots of familiar surnames from Grumento Nova but no Francesco De Milita or anything too like it. I’ll have another look through the spreadsheets after work tomorrow just to make sure. I noticed that most of the passengers were farmers, labourers or jornalero – not sure what that is. It’s not in my dictionary. I’m pretty sure Francesco was educated – he may have been an engineer. Not sure.

Thank you again.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Catch Up

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:You’ve been great, thank you Erudita. I think I’ve probably covered very similar ground to you today and come back with similar results. I hadn’t realised Catalina had a son but since reading your last post have found the baptism record on Family Search. I have looked for Domingo’s death record also and not located.

The passengers to Argentina website is great although it only starts at 1882. I spent some time searching the first link you posted and came back with similar results to you. The link to the Excel spreadsheets worked really well as I was able to “sort” all the Francesco/Francisco names together so it made it easier. I looked at 1882-1887. I saw lots of familiar surnames from Grumento Nova but no Francesco De Milita or anything too like it. I’ll have another look through the spreadsheets after work tomorrow just to make sure. I noticed that most of the passengers were farmers, labourers or jornalero – not sure what that is. It’s not in my dictionary. I’m pretty sure Francesco was educated – he may have been an engineer. Not sure.

Thank you again.

Angela

The occupation you found is for a day laborer-most of them worked the land as well. In Italy, they would go to their town piazza each morning and basically would have to bid to get hired for a day's work. Sometimes they even had to go to another town to work. A lot of agricultural workers went to South America, especially when it was winter in Italy and they couldn't work there, as the seasons were reversed in South America. Some never returned to Italy or sent for their families, if married. The grandfather of my husband's one grandfather made repeated trips back and forth from Italy to Argentina and would stay in South America for long periods of time. Sometimes for several years at a time. He died in Argentina and is buried there. The only difference is that his death record from the parish in Buenos Aires gave his marital status as well. Anyway, I know he made repeated trips to South America because his town in Italy kept registers of the people leaving and returning to the town. So, this is another possible way to get info. Have you ever tried contacting the town itself for info and gotten a reply? The town should have the date Francesco left for South America.

On family search, you can search with the names of the parents (one or both) and leave the other options blank. Sometimes you get more hits that way.

That's all for now. I am still brainstorming.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Francesco De Milita Translation

Post by erudita74 »

Here's a pdf file about research in Argentina which you may find helpful

http://net.lib.byu.edu/fslab/researchou ... entina.pdf

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

[Quote:

The occupation you found is for a day laborer-most of them worked the land as well. In Italy, they would go to their town piazza each morning and basically would have to bid to get hired for a day's work. Sometimes they even had to go to another town to work. A lot of agricultural workers went to South America, especially when it was winter in Italy and they couldn't work there, as the seasons were reversed in South America. Some never returned to Italy or sent for their families, if married. The grandfather of my husband's one grandfather made repeated trips back and forth from Italy to Argentina and would stay in South America for long periods of time. Sometimes for several years at a time. He died in Argentina and is buried there. The only difference is that his death record from the parish in Buenos Aires gave his marital status as well. Anyway, I know he made repeated trips to South America because his town in Italy kept registers of the people leaving and returning to the town. So, this is another possible way to get info. Have you ever tried contacting the town itself for info and gotten a reply? The town should have the date Francesco left for South America.

On family search, you can search with the names of the parents (one or both) and leave the other options blank. Sometimes you get more hits that way.

That's all for now. I am still brainstorming.

Erudita[/quote]

Hi Erudita

Thanks for sharing some of your history here and the explanation about the life of a “jornalero”. It is very interesting and it certainly gives me a better understanding of what life was like in Italy back then. So how long would it have it taken to travel from Southern Italy to Argentina? It is so far away. Was is it expensive?

Thanks for the tip about the travel registers kept at the towns. Maybe that’s what I should do.
No I have never contacted Grumento Nova for information before. I did write to the archive place for my grandfathers military record earlier in the year and received that – so exciting!

Thanks for the PDF file as well – it looks interesting and will be helpful – and for the tips on searching. Need to get ready for work soon.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

about travel to South America from Italy-

I can't find a figure about the cost of travel to South America vs. North America. I have read that it would cost 200 lire to send one family member from Italy to North America (from a book called Widows in White by Reeder), so I assume the amt would be more than that. Unfortunately lire are obsolete, and I have no way to convert that into U.S. dollars.

As to length of travel-I have info on two of my husband's ancestors-the grandfather of his grandfather and that great, great, etc grandfather's son. The father stayed and died in Argentina. The son returned to his native Italy. They were from a mountain town in Caserta Province in Southern Italy but left for Argentina from the northern port of Genoa. The father who ended up dying and being buried in Buenos Aires left from Genoa on a ship called Nord America on Oct 29, 1882 and arrived in Buenos Aires, Argentina on Nov 28, 1882. So he was on the ship for a full month, plus the travel time he needed to get from his native town in Southern Italy to the port in the north. His son, on the other hand, was on the ship Canton for 5 weeks. He got on the ship in Genoa as well but on Oct 30, 1887 and arrived in Buenos Aires on Dec 8, 1887. I don't know though if these ships made any other stops to pick up additional passengers at other ports. You can compare the travel time to the ships leaving Italy for U.S. Ports. Even my husband's grandfather who left from the Port of Naples on May 31, 1905 did not arrive in NY until June 23, 1905 on his first trip to the U.S., but when he returned in 1911, he left from the Port of Naples on May 14, 1911 and arrived in the U.S. on May 28, 1911. So by 1911, the trip to NY had been reduced from about 3 weeks to about 2 weeks.

You may be interested in reading a book called Immigrants in the Lands of Promise: Italians in Buenos Aires and New York City, 1870 to 1904 by Samuel L Bailey. You can read sections of this book on googlebooks.com before deciding if you want to purchase it.

If you decide to write to the town to try to get the date that Francesco left the town and headed for South America, you can try the following email address.

UFFICIO SERVIZI DEMOGRAFICI – Resp. Dott. Vincenzo VERTUNNI
Istruttore: Rag. Maria Donata PASCARELLI
Tel. 0975.65044
Fax 0975.65073
E-mail: donata.pascarelli@rete.basilicata.it

BTW, do you have Francesco's date of birth?

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
If you decide to write to the town to try to get the date that Francesco left the town and headed for South America, you can try the following email address.

UFFICIO SERVIZI DEMOGRAFICI – Resp. Dott. Vincenzo VERTUNNI
Istruttore: Rag. Maria Donata PASCARELLI
Tel. 0975.65044
Fax 0975.65073
E-mail: donata.pascarelli@rete.basilicata.it

BTW, do you have Francesco's date of birth?

Erudita
Yes, that’s exactly what I would like to do. Can you please help me write a letter in Italian.

No I don’t have Francesco’s date of birth. I have just estimated it to be approximately 1856 by deducting his recorded age at death (34) from his year of death (1890). So far, I have only gone through the birth (and other records) available online at Family Search which cover the years 1866-1910. I would need to order either Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, diversi, allegati 1851, 1855-1856 or the 1857-1859 films, I guess, to find Francesco’s birth record. (Working backwards, my plan is to order the films for the 1865 (or not) and/but definitely 1861-1864 years first.)

Thank you for all the detail in your last post re travel, cost, your family history (amazing - such an eye opener). As always very interesting and helpful – and I am pondering. I will come back to the forum again later. I just wanted to get back to you quickly about Francesco’s DOB and the letter, for now.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I am sending you a private message.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Angela
Erudita
Great, thanks. I'll go read:-)

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:
Erudita

Angela

Angela
I sent you another private message.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:
Erudita

Angela

Angela
I sent you another private message.
Erudita
Thanks, just got it. I've replied :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

ANDRES C GARCIA SON OF CATALINA DEMILITA AND ANDRES GARCIA

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I've just found this Baptism record for Catalina and Andres Garcia's son, probably their first together and maybe their only. I haven't been able to find any others so far:

Original Baptism Record:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :472430021

Catalina Demilita in entry for Andres C Garcia, "Argentina, Santa Fe, Catholic Church Records, 1634-1975"
Name: Andres C Garcia

Event Type: Baptism
Event Date: 07 Nov 1919
Event Place: Nuestra Señora del Carmen, Santa Fe, Santa Fe, Argentina
Father's Name: Andres Garcia

Mother's Name: Catalina Demilita
Spouse's Name:
Spouse's Age:
Spouse's Birth Year (Estimated):
Spouse's Father's Name:
Spouse's Mother's Name:
GS Film number: 1097821

Digital Folder Number: 004482460

Image Number: 00228

Record: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/V6PJ-93Y
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Reply from Town Received

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Erudita

I have received a reply from Grumento Nova. I don't think they are able to help. I've sent you a copy of the letter by pm.

Thanks for all your help.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Reply from Town Received

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Hi Erudita

I have received a reply from Grumento Nova. I don't think they are able to help. I've sent you a copy of the letter by pm.

Angela

Angela
I sent you a pm.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Reply from Town Received

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:Hi Erudita

Angela

Angela
I sent you a pm.
Erudita
That's great, thank you Erudita. I've just replied to your pm now. I think I'll spend some time going through my notes, type up a summary and post it here, probably early tomorrow.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I just sent you another pm.

Also it would be a good idea to post a summary on the forum, in case anyone else comes across related info.

Erudita