Palazzolo Family Relatives in Italy:

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Palazzolo Family Relatives in Italy:

Post by ty79978 »

Hello,

I have some Palazzolo family relatives who were born in Italy and came over to the United States and died in New York in the 1940s. I'm hoping someone can help recommend some sites for me to search through and perhaps provide more information about the parents and perhaps names of aunts and uncles.

I will supply all that I do know about these people and I hope to get a response soon.
Thanks to whomever can help in any way.

My 3x great grandfather's name was Girolamo Palazzolo. He came to the United States on July 7th, 1920. Girolamo came with his 2 eldest daughters Maria Palazzolo and Josephine "Giuseppa" Palazzolo. They came on the ship Duca D Aosta.
Maria was in 1900 (according to grave headstone) and died in 1954 in NY (If anyone could find a birth certificate that would be great)
Josephine was born in 1903.

Girolamo's both location according to the immigration record was Cinsi, Sicily, Italy.

Girolamo's wife. My 3x great grandmothers name was Lucrezia Giacona.
Lucrezia came to the United States on September 16th, 1921.

Lucrezia came with the rest of her and Girolamo's children:

Orsolina "Orsola" "Lena" Palazzolo who was born in 1906.
Lucy "Lucrecia" "Lucrezia" Palazzolo who was born in 1909 (According to headstone)
Natale Palazzolo who was born in 1912 and
Mario Palazzolo who was born in 1917.

According to the immigration record: Lucrezia Giacona was born in Cinsi, Palermo, Italy.

According to the Census: Lucrezia and Girolamo were married in the year 1900.

Now, I have been to the New York State Municipal Archives.
I have a certified copy of Girolamo and Lucrezia's death certificate. It list their parents names. But that's just all that I know about them. I've search sites, but I can't seem to find anything about them, hopefully someone can help me with this.

According to Girolamo's death certificate: He was born on December 5th, 1875 and died on March, 23, 1942. He died in Queens, NY

Girolamo's parents were: Natale Palazzolo & Maria Baldalamente.
Not sure if this will help so much but, It is known that Girolamo had a brother Vito Palazzolo and a brother Natale Palazzolo.

According to Lucrezia's death certificate, Lucrezia Palazzolo (Giacona) was born on January 1st, 1878 and died on March 27th, 1946. Lucrezia died in Queens, NY.

Lucrezia's parents were: Mario Giacona. "The surname of Giacona is spelled "Giacone" "Graccone" on the death certificate.
Lucrezia's mother was Giuseppa Badalamonte.

It is believed that the mother and Lucrezia and the mother of Girolamo are cousins.

It is known that Lucrezia had a brother Domenico "Dominic" "Domenick" "Domenic" Giacona.
Domenico was born on May 9th, 1882 and died on June 11th, 1964.

Domenica Giacona married a woman named Maria "Mary" Her maiden name is unknown.
Marriage most likely took place in Italy.

According to Domenico's WW1 & WW2 draft, Domenico was born in Palermo, Italy.

Not sure exactly what city in Palermo Domenico was born, Sicily would be best guess.

I hope someone respnods to this soon, hoping to add to my family tree and show results to my elderly grandmother.

Thanks!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Palazzolo Family Relatives in Italy:

Post by adelfio »

Records of Cinisi are online at familysearch.org
Lucrezia and Girolamo were married in 1889 June 11th in Cinisi little different info then you have Lucrezia's parents were: Mario Giacona and Maria Giuseppa Galati
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :742520769

CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

RECORDS ONLINE AT familysearch.org if your family stayed in the same town you can go way back to the 1500's
Marriage record of Natale Palazzolo & Maria Baldalamente
1865 July 30th in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine
Natale Palazzolo son of Natale Palazzolo and Orsola Amato married to Maria Baldalamente daughter of Agostino Baldalamente and Pacile??Alessandro
NEED SOME HELP ON NAMES ON THIS ONE

PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :296195257
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE BOTTOM LEFT

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Marty - Thank you for your help.

I got the marriage year from a United States census. It listed their age at first marriage.
Using their birth year and the age, both calculated to be married in 1900.

I know their first born child that I know of was born in 1900 - Maria Palazzolo.

But seeing as you told me that they were married in Italy in 1889, is it possible that they had more children between 1890 and 1900.

First known daughter was Maria Palazzolo was born in 1900 died in 1954 She was buried on August 2nd 1954. She died in Queens, NY. My guess is that she died on July 29th or July 30th, 1954.

Is the database searchable by names and years?
Or is it just images? Because I can't read a lot of Italian.

I can make up some basic words and names, but nothing much about locations and times and etc.

Thanks for your help.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are indexes in births, publication marriage, act of marriage and death (that's how the records are laid out in every year) after the year you are searching by surname firstname and index number
Church records indexes are at the front of the years listed by first name first then surname and the page number

Marty

Marty
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Are you by chance able to find a birth certificate for
"Mario Giacona" and "Maria Giuseppa Galati" ?

As well as Natale Palazzolo (father of Girolamo) and Maria Badalamente?

I'm cannot read these documents due to my terrible vision. I've passed them on to a cousin who speaks Italian and has better eye sight then I do.

I'm hoping you have any other possible images that are of my Palazzolo relatives!

Thanks!
Tyler.
Tyler.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Mario Giacona and Maria Giuseppa Galati
INDEX#35
1871 Oct 6th in the town of Cinisi Mario Giacona age 30 son of Domenico Giacona and Lucrezia Zirillo married Maria Giuseppa Galati age 27 daughter of Pietro Galati and deceased Anna Carcuscia
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1232737129

Mario Giacona baptism record 1841 Oct 31st in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine
PG LINK 4th RECORD DOWN ON LEFT
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1197928105

Marty

Marty
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Thank You Marty for all your help.

Perhaps if you wouldn't mind helping me solve this next little piece of the puzzle.

Mario Giacona. He supposedly has a brother "Giuseppe" that's the family story, that his brother's name was Giuseppe.

But, Giuseppe had a son Pietro Giacona who was born about 1879 in Palermo Italy.
I assume in Cinsi.

Pietro Giacona married Serafina Palazzolo in Italy.

Pietro Giacona came to New York in 1909. Here is the immigration record on Ancestry.com

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

Pietro also came to New York in 1920 again a second time.
Here is the immigration record on Ancestry.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

I assume that Pietro went back to Italy between 1909 and 1920 for one of his parents death (Domenico Giacona or Lucrezia Zirillo).

I'm hoping you will find something because all I was able to find are those two records on Ancestry.

Thanks for all your help.

Tyler A.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

He had a brother named Giovanni Giacona for some reason there is a lo before Giacona in the record
Marriage of Giovanni lo Giacona and Bernarda Munaco
INDEX#26
1872 Sept 5th in the town of Cinisi Giovanni lo Giacona age 25 and 4months son of Domenico Giacona and Lucrezia Zirillo married to Bernarda Munaco age 22 daughter of deceased Giuseppe Munaco and Bernarda Palazzolo
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1232737129

You have something not right with Pietro Giacona
Its says on his marriage record
1908 Feb 23rd in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine Pietro Giacona son of Salvatore Giacona and Maria Galati married Serafina Palazzolo daughter of Alfonso Palazzolo and Maria Giannola
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :320117256

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Domenico Giacona and Maria Palazzolo
1910 Jan 16th in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine Domenico Giacona son of Mario Giacona and Maria Giuseppa Galati married Maria Palazzolo daughter of Vincenzo Palazzolo and Honorata Passalacqua
PG LINK

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Domenico Giacona and Lucrezia Zirillo
1838 Nov 18th in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine Domenico Giacona son of Pietro Giacona and Francesca Lafata married Lucrezia Zirillo daughter of Mario Zirillo and Ninfa Palazzolo
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :533343071

Marty

Marty
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

Wow!

Thanks Marty.

Now I'm curious..All these other "Palazzolo" relatives. Born with the surnname of Palazzolo

I mean, I've encountered cases where cousins married cousins.
So I'm assuming that all these Palazzolo's are indeed cousins of one another somehow or possibly even siblings?

Is there a way to confirm this?
ty79978
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ty79978 »

adelfio wrote:
You have something not right with Pietro Giacona
Its says on his marriage record
1908 Feb 23rd in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine Pietro Giacona son of Salvatore Giacona and Maria Galati married Serafina Palazzolo daughter of Alfonso Palazzolo and Maria Giannola
PG LINK

Marty
-- Now, I'm curious..

Maria Galati.. is this the same Maria Galati who mentioned above earlier in this thread who was married to Mario Giacona?

Well, Pietro Giacona's immigration from Italy to the United States states that he was going to stay with this cousin "Domenico Giacona" (Domenico Giacona son of Mario Giacona and Maria Giuseppe Galati..

That's where my relatives and I have assumed that Mario Giacona had a brother.. We weren't sure of his name, we thought it was Giuseppe. I guess not.

So, that means that the father of Pietro was Salvatore Giacona.
Salvatore Giacona being a brother of Mario Giacona and Giovanni Giacona?

Does that about summarize it correctly?

I'm just confused now about Maria Galati.

Did Mario die and she re-married to Salvatore Giacona?
Or is it a completely different person...

Thanks for helping,
Tyler.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

There are a lot of Maria Galati in the indexes its a popular name in Cinisi You would have to go through the records to find out whose related to who Its like the name Palazzolo in the indexes also very popular in Cinisi
Salvatore Giacona you will have to go back through the records to get his parents info

Marty

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Pietro Giacona and Francesca Lafata
1807 Jan 25 in the town of Cinisi church of Santa Fara Vergine marriage of Pietro Giacona son of Antonio Giacona and Anna Giacona (NO MAIDEN NAME GIVEN) married to Francesca Lafata daughter of Francesco Lafata and Giuesppa Lafata (NO MAIDEN NAME GIVEN)
CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE TOP RIGHT

Marty

Marty