Guzzi family Reggio Calabria

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Guzzi family Reggio Calabria

Post by MEMELELE »

Hi everyone. My grandfather was Giuseppe Guzzi from Reggio Calabria. He was born approx 1903. His father was Francesco. I do not have his mothers name at all. Giuseppe had a brother I know of, Albino. I believe Giuseppe also had a sister Cristina. My dad cannot remember if there were any other brothers or sisters. Giuseppe left alone for the U.S. in 1920 at the age of 16. That's about all I have. I'm pretty much a novice at this, so any help wld be appreciated.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Guzzi family Reggio Calabria

Post by Biff83 »

Is this your grandfather's manifest?

1920 manifest for Giuseppe Guzzi

Approx year of birth: 1904
Nearest relative in Italy: father Francesco
Birthplace, Acri, Cosenza
Destination: Providence RI to join aunt Cristina Arcuri

Page 1
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Page 2
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0007

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Yes, BIFF83. I have found the manifests. Still cannot find Francesco's wife's name. My father doesn't remember.
Guzzi507

Post by Guzzi507 »

My grandfather was Augustino Guzzi. I have just started doing some research and found your post. Not sure when they came over but my father was born in New York in 1903, he had 9 siblings
MEMELELE
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MEMELELE »

Just saw this post, sorry Augustino does not appear in my tree.
herkbuff

Post by herkbuff »

Guzzi507 wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 22:44 My grandfather was Augustino Guzzi. I have just started doing some research and found your post. Not sure when they came over but my father was born in New York in 1903, he had 9 siblings
I just saw your post. My great-grandfather was Agositino Guzzi married to Carmela Sirianni. One of his daughters, the youngest is my grandmother. They had 11 children, but a son was born in 1903, Ferdinand. Is this your father?
clinton

Post by clinton »

I joined ItalianGenealogy.com for my wife, Sue Custance. She's the Italian and I'm the history buff (and also a lover of Italian culture). Her grandfather was Agostino Guzzi, married to Carmela Sirianni. Sue's mother was Agostino and Carmela's daughter Elizabeth, who married Henry (Harry) Custance. (Henry's parent lived in London, England.) Do you know the book "The History of the Croton Dam," by Mary Josephine D'Alvia? It has lots of history and genealogy of first-generation Italians in southeastern New York state, including the Guzzi family.
clinton

Post by clinton »

Correction: It's "The History of the NEW Croton Dam," by Mary Josephine D'Alvia.
Kathymaf

Post by Kathymaf »

Guzzi507 wrote: 05 Sep 2019, 22:44 My grandfather was Augustino Guzzi. I have just started doing some research and found your post. Not sure when they came over but my father was born in New York in 1903, he had 9 siblings
My maternal GGF was Augustino Guzzi, just wondering who your Father is?
Kathymaf

Post by Kathymaf »

I too am a newbie to this group/forum and trying to learn/understand how to use this site properly.

With that said, my maternal Great Grandfather was Augustino Guzzi (born Jan. 22 1862 - died Narch 24 1951) married to Carmela M Sirianni (BIRTH 16 APR 1873 • Italy - DEATH 30 DEC 1918 • Yorktown, New York, USA. It appears from this forum my Great Grandfather was born in Reggio Calabria. I desparetly seeking photos/stories and/or information on Augustino Guzzi and Carmela Sirianni Guzzi.

Augustino and Carmela are the parents of my Grandmother Marie V "Mary" "Marian" "Guzzi" (Guss) BIRTH 15 AUGUST 1896 • New York, United States - DEATH JUL 1978 • Peekskill, Westchester, New York, USA. My Grandmother had the following sibilings (as I know):

Anna S Guzzi / Guss
1890–1971

Alta (Guzzi) Guss
1890–1971

Joseph Aloysious (Guzzi) Guss
1891–1963

Sarah Margaret Guss
1893–

Margaret (Maggie) May Guss
1898–

Angeline I Guss
1901–

Elizabeth Dorothy Guss Custance
1901–1996

Ferdinand J Guss Sr
1903–1982

Carmine A Guss
1906–1919

Conway "Connie" A Guss
1906–

Katherine V Guss
1909–2002

Carmilla C Guss
1910–

Dorothy Rose Guss
1915–1981

@Guzzi507 with Augustino being your Grandfather, I was hoping maybe you would have a few pictures and/or stories you would be willing to share with me. My direct email is kathymaf@optonline.net. Thank you!! Looking forward to hearing back from you.
Kathymaf

Post by Kathymaf »

herkbuff wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:18
I just saw your post. My great-grandfather was Agositino Guzzi married to Carmela Sirianni. One of his daughters, the youngest is my grandmother. They had 11 children, but a son was born in 1903, Ferdinand. Is this your father?

Hi, My GGF was Agostino Guzzi, married to Carmela Sirianni. Their daughter, my GM, Marie borin Aug 15 1896, died JULY 1987 was born in Yorktown. I’ve been searching for pictures and information about my GGF Agustino and my GGM Carmelia.

I look forward to hearing back.

Kathy Farrey-Zimmerman
Kathymaf

Post by Kathymaf »

herkbuff wrote: 14 Jul 2023, 21:18

Hi, My GGF was Agostino Guzzi, married to Carmela Sirianni. Their daughter, my GM, Marie borin Aug 15 1896, died JULY 1987 was born in Yorktown. I’ve been searching for pictures and information about my GGF Agustino and my GGM Carmelia.

Kathy Farrey-Zimmerman
Jayde Zboncak

Post by Jayde Zboncak »

If your research is giving you trouble or leads you nowhere, you might want to hire a professional researcher who specializes in Italian ancestry.
RandiKilback

Post by RandiKilback »

Kathymaf wrote: 14 Nov 2023, 19:34

Kathy Farrey-Zimmerman
It takes a long time to gather the necessary information for the person you are speaking to. Please wait.