Murano/Murana

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
London82
Elite
Elite

Murano/Murana

Post by London82 »

My great grandfather immigrated from Vicari, Italy to New Orleans, La in 1904. I was always told his last name was murano but when he immigrated it changed to Murana. I think that's why I am having such a hard time trying to find out info on my ancestors in vicari, italy. His name was Giuseppe Murano/Murana. His father's name was Antonino. His father antonino married Lucia. I'm unsure of Lucia's last name, I have seen it spelled many different ways on different documents, Lucia Alzima? Agorzino? Anguzino? Giuseppe was born sept. 18, 1899. I would like to locate Giuseppe's birth certificate so I can know the correct spelling of his last name.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Murano/Murana

Post by Tessa78 »

London82 wrote:My great grandfather immigrated from Vicari, Italy to New Orleans, La in 1904. I was always told his last name was murano but when he immigrated it changed to Murana. I think that's why I am having such a hard time trying to find out info on my ancestors in vicari, italy. His name was Giuseppe Murano/Murana. His father's name was Antonino. His father antonino married Lucia. I'm unsure of Lucia's last name, I have seen it spelled many different ways on different documents, Lucia Alzima? Agorzino? Anguzino? Giuseppe was born sept. 18, 1899. I would like to locate Giuseppe's birth certificate so I can know the correct spelling of his last name.
The correct spelling is MURANA :D

Here is his birth record
Record #95
Dated 19 September 1899 at noon at the town office in Vicari
Before the official appeared Antonino Murana, 44, peasant farmer residing in Vicari, to declare that at 8:30 PM on the 18th of the current month, at the place at Via Belvedere #53, to Lucia AGOZZINO, his wife living with him, was born a male child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name GIUSEPPE

link to record at familysearch.org
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1550959874

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

HI T
Marriage record of Antonio Murana and Lucia Agozzino
INDEX# 7
1892 Feb 7th in the town of Vicari marriage of Antonio Murana age 37 farmer born in Vicari son of deceased Giuseppe Murana and Melchiora La Barbera married to Lucia Agozzino age 31 farmer born in Vicari daughter of deceased Simone Agozzino and deceased Anna Maria Cavanetta

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1049131671

CLICK FOR RECORD CLICK TO ENLARGE

BIRTH RECORD OF Antonino Murana
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n869390036

BIRTH RECORD OF Lucia Agozzino
PG LINK
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n869390036

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Thank you both
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

What is the dob for Lucia I can't read the document sorry to be bugging you
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

London82 wrote:What is the dob for Lucia I can't read the document sorry to be bugging you
No problem :-) Let us know if you would like translations.

From the EXTRACT of birth posted above by Marty...
Lucia was born on 13 September 1861 at 11 PM
Her father was Simone Agozzino, age 44, farmer
Mother was Maria Anna Cavanetta, 42

T.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Tessa, yes please translate, and if you can provide me with an exact dob for antonino!
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Tessa, can you help me find out more about Merchiora Murana born in 1880? Who did she marry?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

London82 wrote:Tessa, yes please translate, and if you can provide me with an exact dob for antonino!
From the Extract of Birth for Antonino
Record #66
Dated 4 July 1855 at 3PM at the town office in Vicari
Appearing before the official was Giuseppe Calandra, 36, farmer residing in Vicari, to present a male child who he declared was born to Melchiora Labarbera, 45, residing in Vicari; and to Maestro Giuseppe Murana, 36, shoemaker, residing in Vicari, on the 3rd day of the above month and current year [3 July 1855], at the place inhabited by his parents [at home].
This same child was given the name ANTONINO
Witnesses to the recording of the act: Cosimo Lomonaco, 30 farmer; Rosolino Oliveri, 74, farmer.
Only the official signed as the others did not know how to write.

From the Extract of birth for Lucia
Record #122
Dated 14 September 1861 at noon at town office in Vicari
Appearing before the official was Simone Agozzino, 44, farmer residing in Vicari, to present a female child who he declared was born to Maria Anna Cavanetta, 42, residing in Vicari; and to the declarant [Simone] - age, profession and residence as stated above; on the 13th of the above month and current year [13 September 1861], at the place inhabited by his parents.
Present at the recording of this act were witnesses: Salvatore Cammarata, 50, farmer; and Giuseppe Coniglia, 40, farmer.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

London82 wrote:Tessa, can you help me find out more about Merchiora Murana born in 1880? Who did she marry?
Act of Birth
Dated 26 February 1880 at 10:15 AM at the town office in Vicari
Appearing before the official was Rosaria Sampagnano, 50, midwife residing in Vicari, to declare that at 6:30 AM on the 25th of the abovesaid month at the place at Via Belvedere [no number] to Lucia Agozzino, seamstress, wife of Antonino Murana, farmer; both residing in Vicari, was born a female child who was presented to the official and to whom was given the name MELCHIORA.
Witnesses to the recording of the act: Rosario Ferreri, 60, farmer; Luigi Martorana, 52, farmer.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1550959874

T.
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Tessa, can you translate the marriage record for me https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n869390036
Marty said it mentions that the eldest child was born before marriage, Can you translate for me you are more detailed and easier to understand :)
London82
Elite
Elite

Post by London82 »

Tessa, here is the other marriage link also https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1049131671
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

London82 wrote:Tessa, can you translate the marriage record for me https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n869390036
Marty said it mentions that the eldest child was born before marriage, Can you translate for me you are more detailed and easier to understand :)

Happy to do it! :D

However, at this moment the familysearch website is down... will check again shortly.

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

adelfio wrote:HI T
Marriage record of Antonio Murana and Lucia Agozzino
INDEX# 7
1892 Feb 7th at 8:45 PM in the town of Vicari
marriage of Antonio Murana age 37 farmer born in Vicari son of deceased Giuseppe Murana and Melchiora La Barbera,
to Lucia Agozzino age 31 farmer born in Vicari daughter of deceased Simone Agozzino and deceased Maria Anna Cavanetta
In addition to what Marty translated above... there is a handwritten part of the record at the bottom of the document.
It states that the certificate of publication of the banns was presented. That the Banns were posted - 1) 17 January last; and 2) 24 of same month.
The spouses presented testimony that by their natural union was born a female child that was declared at the Ufficio di Stato Civile (town office) in Vicari on 26 February 1880, and is #41 in the register of births for that year, that she was named Melchiora Murana, and with the present act [civil marriage] recognition of their daughter as their legitimate child.
The act was read by the official to all participants, and the groom and witnesses signed with the official, but not the bride because she was illiterate.

FYI - sometimes the couple were married in the church before the birth of the child, but because the civil authorities did not recognize church marriages, the couple would later marry in a civil ceremony and request the recognition of their offspring.

T.