Surname "Letiziano" - HELP?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Surname "Letiziano" - HELP?

Post by dominique426 »

I am looking for a surname that is apparently misspelled... which I completely had no knowledge of. I was under the impression that the name was always LETIZIANO. However I was incorrect!

I have no idea how to find the proper spelling of the name. I do know where the ancestors with the name came from however.

ERNESTO "LETIZIANO"
Born: 1867

ENRICHETTA "LETIZIANO" (Ernesto's wife)
Born: 1875

Ernesto is from Tollo, Italy.
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Surname "Letiziano" - HELP?

Post by Biff83 »

Enrichetta's maiden name was Palombaro

1907 ship manifest for Enrichetta
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

Ernesto's 1905 ship manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

Possibly Letiziana?? but Letiziano might be correct. From "letizia" joyful, lively? Thinking out loud here but I wonder if he might have been a foundling and given that surname.

His birthday on his naturalization papers is 17 Jan 1867; you could write the Stato Civile office in Tollo for his birth act which should clear the mystery.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
dominique426
Veteran
Veteran

Post by dominique426 »

Biff83 wrote:Enrichetta's maiden name was Palombaro

1907 ship manifest for Enrichetta
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0001

Ernesto's 1905 ship manifest
http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0025

Possibly Letiziana?? but Letiziano might be correct. From "letizia" joyful, lively? Thinking out loud here but I wonder if he might have been a foundling and given that surname.

His birthday on his naturalization papers is 17 Jan 1867; you could write the Stato Civile office in Tollo for his birth act which should clear the mystery.

Biff
Wow... thank you so much, Biff! I had not been able to find Enrichetta's ship log. Her grandson didn't know her maiden name. I had found Ernesto's a few weeks ago after a lot of looking! That Ellis Island "sounds like" is a lifesaver! :wink:

I was going to retrieve the records, but I wasn't sure if they could help me since the name is a misspelling. I searched the name all over Italy (Ancestry, Family Search, phone books, etc) and it was only found in my family in the US. I also had somebody who is a record retriever for ancestry projects over there look for it and could not find it. I normally write for the records myself but since I was *stumped* - I had to seek the help of someone with more expertise... and his conclusion was that he could not help me and the name was a misspelling.

The foundling part could definitely be true... however, I thought Esposito was the norm for such situations?

I think his father's name could potentially be Genuario; but I'm not sure. The only descendant alive is the grandson and he doesn't know much. He was told adamantly the correct spelling of Enrichetta and Ernesto was from was "Tolo" which I immediately realized was a misspelling of "Tollo".

Do you know if I write them that I know the date of birth, first name and what I believe is the last name that they can help me?

Also, thank you for your help. It is much appreciated! :D
FAMILY SURNAMES: Sessa, Apuzzo, Merenda, Fisicaro, Bloise, Esposito, Costanzo, Ferrigno, Letiziano, Tomasetta, Covollo, Lerardi, Ferrigno, Barbella, Capparelli
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Since you have his birth date, I would definitely write to the Stato Civile to request a copy of his birth act. There is also a chance that there is a marriage notation on his birth act referencing his spouse's name and year of marriage. So it wouldn't hurt to ask for a copy of Ernesto and Enrichetta's marriage act as well.

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"