Stuck looking for Gannuscio/ Canzoneri from Bisacquino

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kodakidd

Stuck looking for Gannuscio/ Canzoneri from Bisacquino

Post by kodakidd »

Hi I'm looking for any info for my great grandmother Vitalasta Canzoneri, born 2 Jul 1879, or my great grandfather Salvatore Gannuscio, born 26 May 1865, as far as I can tell from documents here in America they were both from bisacquino sicily, Id like to find birth certificates etc from Italy if anyone can assist, I cant read Italian :(

Both birth dates were taking from the california death index so they could be off a day or so but I believe they should be correct.

Last names of parents are also shown

"Salvatore Gannuscio" - mother maiden name "Montolbano" father maiden name "Gannuscio"

Vitalasta Canzoneri - mother maiden name "Mercella" father maiden name "Canzoneri"

on census I've also seen Vitalasta go as Vita, Veta, Vita May, and Vita Mary, or possible last name conzaneri.

Thanks in advanced, Cody
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Stuck looking for Gannuscio/ Canzoneri from Bisacquino

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website
What records do you have showing they were born in Bisacquino
Also on the 1910 census there is another son called Vincent who was born in Italy (MISSPELLED LAST NAME)

Name: Vicent Ganuso
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Census
Event Year: 1910
Event Place: Chicago Ward 33, Cook, Illinois, United States
District: 1425
Marital Status: Single
Race: White
Race (Original): White
Relationship to Head of Household: Son
Relationship to Head of Household (Original): Son
Birth Year (Estimated): 1890
Birthplace: Italy
Immigration Year: 1899
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Sheet Number and Letter: 6B
Household ID: 72
Line Number:
Affiliate Name: The U.S. National Archives and Records Administration (NARA)
Affiliate Publication Number: M1283
GS Film number: 1374292
Digital Folder Number: 004328174
Image Number: 01150
Household Gender Age Birthplace
Head Salvatore Ganuso M 45 Italy
Wife Veta Ganuso F 31 Italy
Son Vicent Ganuso M 20 Italy
Daughter Melsi Ganuso F 9 Illinois
Daughter Rosa Ganuso F 8 Illinois
Daughter Nellie Ganuso F 5 Illinois
Daughter Luci Ganuso F 3 Illinois
Daughter Mary Ganuso F 1 Illinois

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Grazie Marty! I have found 2 declarations of intention for naturalization for Salvatore gannuscio in cook county Illinois stating birth place as bisacquino, although they were misspelled I'm sure it's bisacquino as I have older family who all thought he was from there as well, and as for vita canzoneri, I have found her in the Italians to America data file showing arrival date, immigration year etc, and her last residence place is listed as bisacquino so I am assuming it was where she was born as well, she came on the spartan prince in 1900 departure from Naples,

That is the correct census, that is all my family, and yes Vincenzo gannuscio assumingly came with his father salvatore to America from a previous marriage before Salvatore married my grandmother because, their arrival dates are seperate and she didnt seem to bare his last name on arrival
Thanks -Cody
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's a link to a baptism record for Salvatore Gannuscio dated May 25, 1865 in Bisacquino-His father is a Vincenzo Gannuscio but mother is a Tommasa Gagliano.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :532384063

Online church records for the town at familysearch.org
Italy, Palermo, Diocesi d...Church Records, 1531-1998
Bisacquino
San Giovanni Battista

Erudita
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Piggy-backing on the baptism record found by Erudita :D

POSSIBLE siblings of Salvatore Gannuscio?

Name: Antonino Gannuscio
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 01 Feb 1855
Birthplace: Bisacquino, Palermo, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Vincenzo Gannuscio
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Tommasa Gagliano
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I01329-8
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1350586
Reference ID: 31

Name: Giuseppe Gannuscio
Christening Date:
Christening Place:
Birth Date: 28 Nov 1861
Birthplace: Bisacquino, Palermo, Italy
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Vincenzo Gannuscio
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Tommasa Gagliano
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: I01329-9
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1350588
Reference ID: p 288 no 288

T.
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Thank you guys again for trying to help me crack this case. Salvatore's arrival date in the US is 5/15/1898 according to his declaration of intent while vita's is 3/6/1900 according to the italian passenger data file.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

kodakidd wrote:Thank you guys again for trying to help me crack this case. Salvatore's arrival date in the US is 5/15/1898 according to his declaration of intent while vita's is 3/6/1900 according to the italian passenger data file.
I tried locating the actual arrival manifest based on the passenger data file for Vita. I think they were married in Italy. Married Italian women traveled under their maiden surname, and a look at the arrival manifest would confirm her marital status.

EDIT TO ADD:

Located their church marriage record in Bisacquino in February 1897 :-)
It appears that the "Montalbano" surname that appeared on Salvatore's death record as his mother's name was actually his deceased first wife's surname....
Record #57
Dated 28(?) February 1897
Marriage of Salvatore Gannuscio, widower of Paula[Paola] Montalbano;; son of (deceased) Vincenzo and of Tommasa Gagliano; to
Maria Vita Canzoneri; daughter of Joseph[Giuseppe] and of Rosa Piazza.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1:49693780

T.
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Wow Tessa! Thats awesome thank you! I wonder where the confusion was, why that was listed as his mothers maiden name on the California death index, also also why is Vita's mothers maiden name listed wrong as well, her death index has her mothers name as Mercella and does anyone know how normal it was at that time for the husband and wife to travel separately? Does that document list any other valuable information?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

kodakidd wrote:Wow Tessa! Thats awesome thank you! I wonder where the confusion was, why that was listed as his mothers maiden name on the California death index, US death records are very inaccurate due to the fact that those providing the information may not really know the facts and does anyone know how normal it was at that time for the husband and wife to travel separately? Yes, that was very common. Usually the husband came first to find work and to set up a place to live. He then paid for passage for his wife and family to join him. Sometimes the rest of the family did not come together and he would travel back to get a child, or parent, etc. Does that document list any other valuable information? Such as? - It is a church record in Latin and provides little else except the names of the witnesses. Witnesses here were Philippo Alfano, son of Rosolino, and Vincenza Di Giovanni, of deceased Francesco
T.
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Does it list their birthdates so its verifiable? Or does it list salvatores son vincenzo? What about Vitalasta Canzoneri's death index mentioning her mothers maiden name as Mercella, is there any mention of that name? Does it verify both of them as being born in Bisacquino?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

kodakidd wrote:Does it list their birthdates so its verifiable? No, verification comes from the naming of the parents of the spouses. Or does it list salvatores son vincenzo? NO What about Vitalasta Canzoneri's death index mentioning her mothers maiden name as Mercella, is there any mention of that name?No mention of a surname Mercella. Vita's mother's surname is listed as Piazza. Does it verify both of them as being born in Bisacquino?
Much of what you are inquiring about is found in the CIVIL record. You must write to Bisacquino to request the civil marriage record.

Address:
Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Via Stazione, 24
90032 Bisacquino (PA)
ITALY

Help with letters of request in Italian
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... tter3.html
http://www.angelfire.com/ok3/pearlsofwi ... talrecords

T.
kodakidd

Post by kodakidd »

Ahh ok, I assuming there was generally a civil record along side most marriages?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

kodakidd wrote:Ahh ok, I assuming there was generally a civil record along side most marriages?
There is sometimes a column on a civil record that indicates a church celebration - but not the other way around :-)

T.