Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Kikili1113

Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by Kikili1113 »

My great great grandfather was born in Italy in 1868, came to America in 1899 and became a naturalized US citizen in 1907.
My great grandfather was born in 1905, before my great great grandfather became a US citizen. I know this violates the 1912 rule but I'm planning to apply in Philadelphia, known to not enforce the rule.
My grandfather was born in 1938, my mother in 1963 (so I'm able to get around the 1948 rule).
Can anyone tell me if they think I am indeed eligible for dual citizenship? I believe I am but was looking for more opinions.
Also, as far as application forms go, when you fill it out there is only space to write information as far back as a great grandparent. If I'm not mistaken, there is no generational limit on claiming dual citizenship but then how in the world do I fill out the forms if I'm applying through my great great grandfather as my relative who was born it Italy?
Thank you!
mler
Master
Master

Re: Do I qualify for dual citizenship?

Post by mler »

Only your consulate can determine if you qualify. As you note, some consulates have interpreted the1912 law in a way that disqualifies all children of the person who naturalized if the naturalization took place before the law was enacted. If your consulate does not interpret it in this manner, the other dates work.

Simply attach an addendum to your application that includes your great grandfather's information.