Researching my ancestry

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Chrys

Researching my ancestry

Post by Chrys »

Am trying to trace my ancestry for myself and my granddaughter, who is doing a school report on her heritage. I know that my grandparents came to the United States in 1906, 1908 and 1911. They eventually settled in Mansfield, Ohio. I was told that one of my father\'s siblings, a sister, returned to Italy to live. My grandparents and father are deceased, and I cannot remember the sister\'s name. The family name is Cicolani. I know that they were originally fromScoppito. I would like to find out as much more information about the family as possible, and perhaps, I have relatives still living in Scoppito or thereabouts.
ptimber
Master
Master

Researching my ancestry

Post by ptimber »

There are 15 persons in Scoppito surnamed Cicolani. go to www.paginebianche.it and insert Cicolani in the first line and Scopitto in the third line and click cerca. A listing by full name,address and telephone number will appear. You may wish to consider writing one generic letter to all 15 and ask them if they are related to you. You can send a self addrsssed envelope with a dollar inside for stamps and you can write in Italian or VERY SIMPLE SHORT SENTENCES in english since english is the second language taught in the schools in Italy. If you wish documents then please know you need full names and year of birth. Why don\'t yopu look for your Great Auint who returned to Italy in the ellisisland.org website since she had to have arrrived in her fathers last name. Between a full name and town of origin you should find her if she is there. Peter
Chrys

Researching my ancestry

Post by Chrys »

Dear Peter - Thank you so much for the information. I will do all of the things you have suggested.
ptimber
Master
Master

Researching my ancestry

Post by ptimber »

don\'t hesitate to contact me. Peter
Chic

Re: Researching my ancestry

Post by Chic »

Chrys.
I believe we have the same ancestry. I am originally from Mansfield, OH. My maiden name is Cicolani. I visited my Aunt Ida Favetta (married name) in Montebuono, Italy in 1995. She has 7 offspring: Giovanni, Lucia, Antoinnette, Sesto, Bruno, Pasquale and ? My father was John Cicolani, number 14 or 15 children. She was left with the grandparents when Lena and Sam Cicolani came to the US for the final time. She was told she was not wanted which was untrue. Since my Italian visit, Ida and my father have passed away. She died of cancer. Please contact me at specsorff@yahoo.com
Chic
coccodrillo

Re: Researching my ancestry

Post by coccodrillo »

Hi Chrys!
I'm trying to find clues about my grandfather's fate.
His name was Salvatore Cicolani, and he was married with Elvira, who remained in Italy.
He was born in Scoppito, a small village near the town of L'Aquila, located in Abruzzo, central Italy.
We know that he went to USA two times: the first one in 1906, while the second and last time was in 1909.
Since then, nobody hasn't got any news about him. He was believed (and I remark: BELIEVED) dead, but we never knew were he was dead or the circumstances of the death.
Surfing ellisisland.org, we found two records about a men named Salvatore Cicolani (you can follow link to the page: http://www.ellisisland.org/search/match ... &dwpdone=1), who arrived in US in 1906 and 1909.
We downloaded the ship manifests, but we weren't able to read writing of the immigration officer.
If you think I can help you, or may you have some clues for my research, feel free to contact me at salvacicolani [at] yahoo.it or reply to this post.
Good luck!
Salvatore