Enrico La Medica

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Enrico La Medica

Post by cdar1231 »

Friends,

My family lore says that my second great grand uncle, Enrico La Medica was a bishop or archbishop (Catholic) in Foggia; the story says Santa Maria di Foggia. I would like to try to confirm that somehow. Any suggestions? Obviously i've tried google but no luck. I don't know much about him but i do have a photo. His sister, who is my 2nd great grandmother was born in 1878 so assume he was born in the 1860s or 1870s.

Thanks much!

chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Re: Enrico La Medica

Post by Italysearcher »

You could write to the Diocese office.
www.chiesacattolica.it will get you the address.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

My family lore says that my second great grand uncle, Enrico La Medica was a bishop or archbishop (Catholic) in Foggia; the story says Santa Maria di Foggia.
chris, do you know when Enrico died? Also, what was your 2nd great grandmother's name?

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Back again...
I will post a couple of records from the commune Torremaggiore, Foggia. If we can prove this is your family, it might make it easier to learn about Enrico LaMedica.

First, a birth record for this Enrico, born 1877, Father, Luigi and Mother, Amalia Romano(sp) http://postimg.org/image/lhg9svr9n/

This second set of records(about 6 in order) is Maria Giuseppa Lamedica. Marriage, birth etc. suggest her Father was Luigi and Mother was Amalia Romano. I can't make out her birth date.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1185629436

There is a connection between this comune and the Santa Maria di Foggio church. I believe the church name was changed to Cattedrale di Foggia.
http://it.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cattedrale_di_Foggia

If this is your Enrico, you can write to this church. You could also write to the comune for his death record.
http://www.comuni-italiani.it/071/056/index.html

Paul
Researching Ruggiero, Caputo, Viola, Priore and many more at Our Family Genealogy.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Great finds, Paul :-D !
This second set of records(about 6 in order) is Maria Giuseppa Lamedica. Marriage, birth etc. suggest her Father was Luigi and Mother was Amalia Romano. I can't make out her birth date.
In the allegati you posted for Maria Giuseppa Clelia Lamedica...

Her birth occurred on 15 March 1876, to "Signora Amalia Romano", wife of Signore Luigi Lamedica.
She was 25 and a "gentlewoman", and he was 25 and a landowner.

It is the same parents as the birth record (born 12 December 1877) for Enrico that you posted :-)

T.
Paolo47
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Paolo47 »

Thank you, T. :D
I got around to reading some of Chris' old posts and thought at first I had duplicated some info already found by you and Euridita and others.
Since Allegati's wear me out, happy to finally find one. :D :wink:
Paul
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Hi Paul and Tessa,

First, thank you so much for your assistance. I'm quite impressed that with so little information, you were able to find so much. I'm happy that I can confirm that the Enrico you found IS the right one. I already knew that Luigi Lamedica and Amalia Romano were his parents. In addition to him, they had a daughter Maria Giuseppa who is my 2nd great grandmother. On a slight side note: are you sure her birthday is 15 March and not 18? I got from my family that it was 18 and one line on the record SEEMS to say 18 but I admit that I can't read it very well and that may just be the day it was recorded but not her birth.

In addition to Enrico and Maria, Luigi and Amalia had three additional sons: Carmine, Michael and Ettore. I believe they also had two other daughters, Amalia and Beatrice but they didn't live to adulthood. I do not have birth or death dates for the parents or any of the children except Maria Giuseppa because, as I said she is my 2nd great grandmother.

Finally, I could you some assistance with the details of the records you found. As I mentioned, my Italian is not good and that script is a killer.

Thank you so much!!

chris
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

cdar1231 wrote:Hi Paul and Tessa,

First, thank you so much for your assistance. I'm quite impressed that with so little information, you were able to find so much. I'm happy that I can confirm that the Enrico you found IS the right one. I already knew that Luigi Lamedica and Amalia Romano were his parents. In addition to him, they had a daughter Maria Giuseppa who is my 2nd great grandmother. On a slight side note: are you sure her birthday is 15 March and not 18? I got from my family that it was 18 and one line on the record SEEMS to say 18 but I admit that I can't read it very well and that may just be the day it was recorded but not her birth.

In addition to Enrico and Maria, Luigi and Amalia had three additional sons: Carmine, Michael and Ettore. I believe they also had two other daughters, Amalia and Beatrice but they didn't live to adulthood. I do not have birth or death dates for the parents or any of the children except Maria Giuseppa because, as I said she is my 2nd great grandmother.

Finally, I could you some assistance with the details of the records you found. As I mentioned, my Italian is not good and that script is a killer.

Thank you so much!!

chris
Hello Chris :-D

Yes, the date of birth is 15 March, and the date of record is 18 March.
Here is the translation of Maria Giuseppa Clelia's birth act:
Record #86
Dated 18 March 1876 at 9:15 AM at the town office.
Before the official, Antonio Lippi, son of deceased Nicola, Senior Councilor functioning as the Mayor, official of the vital records of Torremaggiore,
appeared Signore Luigi Lamedica, age 25, landowner residing in Torremaggiore, to declare that at 2 AM on the 15th of the stated month at the place at Via Sesta Borgo, to Signora Amalia Romano, of age 25, gentlewoman, his legitimate wife living with him, was born a female child who he presented to the official and to whom was given the name MARIA GIUSEPPA CLELIA.
Witnesses to the recording of this act were Concezio Galassi of deceased Luigi, age 40, shoemaker; and Giuseppe Cosenza of deceased Nicola, age 49, countryman.

FYI- The Allegati Record that Paul :D found and posted contains attachments to the marriage record. Here is what you will see as you move from page to page...
~1~ Cover sheet
~2~ Extract of the birth act of Giovanni Antonio Pinto from Castelnuovo della Daunia
~3~ Extract of the birth act of Maria Giuseppa Clelia Lamedica from Torremaggiore
~4~ Copy of the first publication of the banns of marriage in Torremaggiore
~5~ Copy of the second publication of the banns of marriage in Torremaggiore
~6~ Looks like a duplicate image of the 2nd banns
~7~ Certificate of Publication
~8~ Certificate of Publication of banns in Castelnuovo della Daunia (hometown of the groom)

Is there a particular record you would like translated besides the birth act of Maria Giuseppa which is posted above?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello again, Chris :-D

Found a possible birth record for your "Michele" - born Carlo Michele
The record gives more information about the parents of Luigi Lamedica and Amalia Romano :D

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :443271905

Record #137
Dated 3 August 1871 at the town office at noon in Torremaggiore
Before the official, Matteo Siano…
Appeared Signore Luigi Lamedica, son of Signore Michele and of Signora Brigida Maurea, age 21, landowner born and residing in this town at sesta strada del Borgo Nuovo, to present a male child which he declared was born on 31 of this last month of July at 4 PM to his legitimate wife Signora Amalia Maria Elisabetta Romano, of age 21, gentlewoman, living with him, daughter of Signor Carmine and of Signora Sofia Cairelli, at home as stated above on strada sesta Borgo Nuovo, and to whom the declarant intends to give the name CARLO MICHELE.
Present at the recording of this act was Michele Lamedica of deceased Francesco, 40, landowner residing in this town on strada Panetteria(?), and Luigi Gussi of deceased Domenico, 27, farmer, residing at Sesta strada Borgo Nuovo,.

T.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Tessa,

What a lucky break that the birth record of Carlo Michele also included his grandparents' names. Thank you so much that is an unexpected find!

c
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

cdar1231 wrote:Tessa,

What a lucky break that the birth record of Carlo Michele also included his grandparents' names. Thank you so much that is an unexpected find!

c
Yes, sometimes we get lucky! :-D

T.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

By the way, I also know from my mom and grandmother that Amalia Maria Romano had a brother named Giandomenico. Any sign of him in the records?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Have not found any records with Giandomenico Romano...

HOWEVER, here is another child of Luigi Lamedica and Amalia Romano :-D

Son CARMINE, born 8 July 1874, Record #162 at bottom right and next page.
Side notations:
Married Carolina Falcone on 6 November 1910, Act #95
Died 5 February 1960, Act #24 Parte I

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :443271905

T.
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Tessa,

I am so grateful for all of your help; thank you so much. My family tree has grown far beyond what I ever thought possible. You are so kind with your time and knowledge.

Best wishes!

c
cdar1231
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdar1231 »

Hi again, Tessa,

I wanted to thank you again for your help and wondered if in your searches you came across mention of the last son of Luigi and Amalia: Ettore? Also now that we have determined that the records you and Paul found where for the correct Enrico, how would you suggest I verify his position within the Church? I admit I'm doubtful the family story is true, but I'd like to know.

Gratefully :D,

c