where to stay in castelvetere in val fotore

General Non-Genealogy Discussions.
Ask questions, chat and talk about anything.
martinhahn

where to stay in castelvetere in val fotore

Post by martinhahn »

I am traveling with my wife and son to look up family in the village of castelvetere in val fotore, and would appreciate any and all recommendations....looking for a local experience and not a business hotel. my family name is bibbo and i am told there are many in that village...are there english speaking commune staff that will be able to respond to my inquiries
misbris
Master
Master

Re: where to stay in castelvetere in val fotore

Post by misbris »

Hi and welcome to the forum, :lol: :lol:

The name is Castelvetere in Val Fortore. My family (Marinaro and Brasile) are from there also. There are a few strands on this site that might help you.

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... etere.html

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/Foru ... etere.html

The Bibbo name is well known in Castelvetere and many immigrated to Newark, NJ. My grandparents knew Bibbos well and I have some records on permanent hold at the FHC near me. I have some pictures I will try to post. 8)

My family is also planning a trip at the end of June. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Later tonight, I will send you a PM with some more info

Mary Jo
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

URL=http://imageshack.us]Image[/URL]
By [URL=http://profile.imageshack.us/user/reggaegirl]

I can't get it large enough to show the Bibbo names on this on this WWI monument, but I can email this and other pictures.

Look for a PM later,
ljcunniff

Post by ljcunniff »

I know this board hasn’t had a post in some time but thought I would give this a try. My great grandmother was from Castelvetere in Val Fortore. Her name was Maria Pasquala Brasile (b. 1871) . She Married Nicola Bibbo, also from Castelvetere in Val Fortore and had 4 children. They immigrated to Newton, Massachusetts. Nicola and the oldest son Francesco in May 1912 thru Boston. Maria followed in August 1912 with her 18 year old daughter, her 6 year old son and 3 year old daughter thru Ellis Island. I have not been able to find any information on a Brasile family from this town and was extremely excited when I saw your post. I would love to know what information you have if any, perhaps there is a connection.
I would also love a clearer picture of that monument if possible.
Thanks so much.
Italysearcher
Master
Master

Post by Italysearcher »

If you want a truly local experience when traveling to your family town in Italy look for an 'agriturismo'. There is a website dedicated to this type of accommodation. They are usually fixed up farmhouses and grow all there own food, including meats and oil and make their own wine. Book for at least two meals as some of these small towns don't have restaurants except on weekends. I got stuck once having to drive 25 kilometers to the nearest restaurant because I thought it would be more fun to eat out! The food will be excellent and very traditional.
Ann Tatangelo
http://angelresearch.net
Dual citizenship assistance, and document acquisition, on-site genealogical research in Lazio, Molise, Latina and Cosenza. Land record searches and succession.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

ljcunniff wrote:I have not been able to find any information on a Brasile family from this town and was extremely excited when I saw your post.
Just wanted to send you the link to the state Archive of Benevento, to the database of the military conscription records... there are several Brasile all born in Valfortore:

http://www.archiviodistatobenevento.ben ... geNumber=0

Laura
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

My Grandmother was Maria Giuseppa Brasile, born in Castelvetere. Her sister Maria Nicola Brasile also married a Bibbo. I have not been able to find out the name of her father because he died when she was very young and her mother remarried. Her mother was Rosaria Iarossi.

Your Maria Pasquala might be a cousin. I will go through the records I have to see if I can find any information for you.

Mary Jo
ljcunniff

Post by ljcunniff »

Laura, thank you for the Benevento link. Mary Jo, thanks for the info. If you find anything let me know. I will continue my searching.
Much appreciated.

Laura
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

My grandmother was born in 1896 so she would be the next generation. Her father came to the States around 1900 and brought his family. My grandmother lived here in early childhood. Her father died and the family went back to Castelvetere.

I have been trying to track down her father. I found a Domenico Brasile (right age and time) who went to Newton. This could be a brother to your great-grandmother.

I noticed families in Castelvetere tended to intermarry. Are the last names Bontempo, Marinaro, Pasquale familiar to you?
ljcunniff

Post by ljcunniff »

Bontempo and Marinaro are not familiar to me. Pasquale is though.. My grandfather’s name was DiPasquale. He also immigrated to Massachusetts from Castelvetere but at a different time then the Bibbos. As far as my family knew they met here in Massachusetts but most likely there families were familiar with one another from Italy and perhaps the marriage was arranged.
I have not found out much regarding my great grandmother Brasile or if she had any siblings but I will keep up the search and let you know if I find anything. I did find a photo of her with her husband and children, and oddly enough in this photo there is a person who nobody in the family can identify yet. My great grandmother is probably in her late 40’s when the photo was taken and the man looks much too young to be her brother but maybe a nephew. I will keep you posted.