Has anyone pursued Italian Citzenship from Canada?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Antonio Greco

Has anyone pursued Italian Citzenship from Canada?

Post by Antonio Greco »

Hello,

A few difficulties I have encountered so far in pursuing Italian Citizenship from Canada:

1. I have collected birth death and marriage certificates for all my ancestors. However, I am unsure of the legal process in Canada for amending vital records and cannot seem to find a lawyer with any experience in this area. My GG Grandfather changed his name from Rosario Greco to George Ross in 1894 (he was forced to do so to retain his job). Despite the fact that I provided the vital records office with 27 officially signed and stamped documents, some of them showing both names used, the vital records office refuses to amend my GG Grandfather's death certificate to display his Italian name (his imposed name George Ross was used on his death certificate). Obviously this issue will result in a major discrepancy when I submit my application to the Italian consulate.

2. There is no place to get an apostile in Canada. I am unsure what could be provided instead of an apostile.

Hoping someone out there can give me a little guidance based on their experience.
De Colosimi e de iumare portaccende ma un de pigliare: delle cose di Colosimi e delle fiumare è meglio non prendere nulla
mler
Master
Master

Re: Has anyone pursued Italian Citzenship from Canada?

Post by mler »

Not from Canada so no experience with this. However, based on your post, it appears that the discrepancy is only on the death certificate and that you have a lot of documents connecting the names. It may be a good idea to contact your consulate. Death certificates are often less of a problem because the information is provided by someone else. Also the death certificate has no real significance in determining eligibility.

Another thought--you might request a death certificate for your ggf under his Italian name, a search that will come back with "no record." Since, from his birth date it is clear that your ggf is no longer living, the consulate may be fine without it.
Antonio Greco

Post by Antonio Greco »

Thanks for the feedback. A big problem is that rather than using Greco, the family continued to use Ross.

So my GG Grandfather was Rosario Greco/George Ross
Then his son my G Grandfather was born Phillip Antonio Greco but his marriage record says Phillip Anthony Ross as does his death record.
From then on down, it is just Ross.

So the paper trail is all screwed up. If I could just get the death record amended to say Rosario Greco aka George Ross, it would eliminate the name confusion at the source.
De Colosimi e de iumare portaccende ma un de pigliare: delle cose di Colosimi e delle fiumare è meglio non prendere nulla
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Was this an official (through the courts) name change or an unofficial one? Based on the birth name of his son, I'm guessing unofficial, which is considerably more of a problem.

Even if you were able to amend the death record, you still have the issue of your grandfather's name change. You say you have several documents with both names. If they are from government sources, you may be able to use them to demonstrate to the consulate that Rosario Greco and George Ross were names used by the same man. In other words, you may be able to use these documents to demonstrate an "aka" in lieu of an official name change.

This will much depend on your consulate.

May I also suggest that you post your issue at www.italiancitizenship.freeforums.org Some regular posters there may be able to help.
Antonio Greco

Post by Antonio Greco »

Hi I did a search through the office of the registrar general in Thunder bay and they sent me a letter that said there was no official change of name record.

The documents I have are all government issue that show Rosario Greco and George Ross are the following:

1. A land titles act that shows a George Ross, otherwise known as Rosario Greco as the owner of the lot where he built two houses.

2. I marriage certificate for Francesco Greco (Rosario's first son born in Italy in 1890) that shows his parents as George Ross and Santa Cristiano. The George Ross is scribbled out and it says Rosario Greco on the top, both names are clearly visible.

3. An American immigration card bearing the Seal of the Records office that shows Rosario Greco living at 602 macIntosh in Fort William. This does not say George Ross, but George Ross was living at that address at the time.

4. I have alot of other bits and pieces that don't show both names but are government documents and newspaper clippings that would demonstrate to a reasonable person that they were the same man.

I will check out the provided link, thanks