Tarale Recipe and alternative names

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Tarale Recipe and alternative names

Post by EMTLP »

Today I found a recipe for cookies that I had hoped to learn how to make from my grandmother. Unfortunately, she passed before we ever got together to work out a recipe. Her method of measurement was the palm method. The cookies were my very favorite. Unbeknownst to me Grandma gave the recipe to my mother and the little card holding the secret recipe has been stored away for years. Mom never had to make them because Grandma did.

The cookie dough was shaped in a circle like a donut. It was then boiled and then baked. They were frosted with a confectionery sugar icing. I remember my parents saying there was alcohol in them but anyone who recognized the cookies said their family made them with pepper in them or Brioschi. Neither of those ingredients were part of my family's recipe.

Anyway we called them phonetically TaDolls or Misterzules. I recently asked a friend who is familiar with the cookies and she said her family called them Musties.

I always thought it was Mr. Zooels. lol Does anyone know if there is a real Italian name for these cookies that would sound that way. My family was from Avigliano, Potenza, Basilicata and later Waterbury, CT. Sadly there is really no one left to ask.

Thanks,
Eileen
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Tarale Recipe and alternative names

Post by PippoM »

Hello, Eileen!
Here are two links for your recipes, checjk if they look the same:

http://www.paginafood.it/2013/08/dolci- ... 008848.php

http://www.comune.avigliano.pz.it/templ ... o&cmsId=21

You can translate with an online translator, and ask here if you have any difficulty.
They are called "mustazzuole", sounding very similar to Neapolitan "mostacciuoli". This name, in the various local variants, is always meant for sweets, but, strangely, different from place to place.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Hi Giuseppe,
Thank you so much. The recipe is the same! You made me smile. I will be making these cookies soon but won't be able to eat them because I am a Celiac. :( Maybe I'll try to work out a gluten free recipe at a later time.
Have a lovely day.
Thanks Again,
Eileen
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

That's funny! I'm a celiac, too!!
You probably won't find a gluten free recipe for that, but you have to try with gluten free flour, and find quantities that keep your sweets together so that they don't crumble.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

EMTLP, TaDoll is dialect for the Italian word "Tarale".

Mostacciuoli is a specific type of cookie or pastry, often made with cocco or chocolate, depending on the region. In my region of Abruzzo it's a cake-like, soft cookie cut in rectangles with either vanilla or chocolate icing.

The general word for Sweets in Italy is always "Dolce".
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

I have the recipe for both cookies. They have been passed down to me from my father's cousin's daughter. If you would like the recipe, please let me know.
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
EMTLP
Elite
Elite

Post by EMTLP »

Hi Sue,
We'd all love the recipes. If you could post them here it would be great.
Thanks so much.
Eileen
aaagul45

Post by aaagul45 »

The recipe is the same! You made me smile. I will be making these cookies soon but won't be able to eat them because I am a Celiac. :( Maybe I'll try to work out a gluten free recipe at a later time.???
GuL