Translation of Pietro Dazi's Birth Record from Diecimo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Translation of Pietro Dazi's Birth Record from Diecimo

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi,
Can someone please help me with a translation of the attached document?
Many thanks in advance,
Regards,
Michael
Attachments
Pietro Dazi Birth Record Crop.png
Pietro Dazi Birth Record Crop.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 2385 times
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Pietro Dazi's Birth Record from Diecimo

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Michael :-)

Record #132
Dated 26 June 1878 at 9:40 AM
Appearing before the official in Borgo a Mozzano was Libania Picchi, age 20, farmer residing in Diecimo, to declare that at 3:05 on 21st of the current month at Diecimo #35, from a union with a single man, not a relative, and who will not be named, was born to her a male child who she did not present and to whom was given the name PIETRO
Witnesses to the recording of the act of birth were Francesco Sartini, age 64, and Clemente Cazzara, age 77.
The declarant did not present the child to the official because it was a long distance from the place of the birth.

SIDE NOTATON: (This is a recognition by the father)
Pietro Picchi is the legitimate son of Giovanni Dazii of Spedale di Casa following the marriage today with the mother, Libania Picchi, daughter of deceased Pietro.
Signed by the official at Borgo a Mozzano, and dated 27 February 1881.

EDITED TO ADD:

I located the marriage record that was mentioned in the side note.
The annotation on Pietro's birth record has the name of the father incorrect :?
Father is Doroteo Dazi, age 23, single, born in Pisa, residing in Diecimo, parents unknown.
The mother's full name was Elena Libania Picchi, age 23, single, farmer, born and residing in Diecimo, daughter of deceased Pietro of Diecimo; and of living Adalinda Laivisi(sp?)
At the bottom of the marriage act it speaks of the publication of the banns on 24 and 31 of October 1880, and it also mentions the birth of their son on 26 February 1878, record #132, who Doroteo Dazi wishes to recognize as his natural son, and to make him "legitimate" with this marriage.

Here is the link to the marriage record - left side of image.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1264953123

T.
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Tessa,

Thank you so much for that - it is extremely helpful!

I already have a birth record that I saw in person in Pisa a few years ago for the father which lists his name as "Giovanni Doroteo Dazi" (born Jan 1857) so I'm happy that the name differs between Giovanni and Doroteo on the two documents here.

I have now discovered why I could never find Dazi/Picchi marriage record - I was looking too early!

Giovanni Doroteo was a foundling, so that's why his parents are unknown. I have no idea why/how he made his way from Pisa to Diecimo - that's my next target of investigation, but I have no idea where to start.

Thank you again - this is amazing.

Regards,
Michael
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

m11oct wrote:Tessa,

Thank you so much for that - it is extremely helpful!

I already have a birth record that I saw in person in Pisa a few years ago for the father which lists his name as "Giovanni Doroteo Dazi" (born Jan 1857) so I'm happy that the name differs between Giovanni and Doroteo on the two documents here.

I have now discovered why I could never find Dazi/Picchi marriage record - I was looking too early!

Giovanni Doroteo was a foundling, so that's why his parents are unknown. I have no idea why/how he made his way from Pisa to Diecimo - that's my next target of investigation, but I have no idea where to start.

Thank you again - this is amazing.

Regards,
Michael
Ciao Michael! :-)

I am glad that you can confirm the different names. It is important.

As to Giovanni Doroteo's movement... It may have been when he was an infant - possibly a placement with a family/wetnurse or in a home for the orphans (can you post the brth record?)... OR - it may be more related to his occupation at a later age. It could be a lengthy investigation.
AND... there is always the possibility you will not find the answer, but you will learn much on the journey :-D

T.
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Hi
I know this is an old post but I wanted to clarify one of the translations.

The son who was born before they were married - was he definitely the son of Giovanni Doroteo Dazi, or did the mother just marry Giovanni Doroteo and he became the legal father of the son (who had another biological father) because of the marriage??

Is the clear or ambiguous from the text?

Michael
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In the marriage record, the couple asks for the recognition of the son who was born "from their natural union"... Doroteo is the natural and legitimate father of Pietro.
It was then noted on the original birth act by the official.

T.
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

Thanks very much for the reply.

I note in your earlier post (from 2013), you requested I post a link to Giovanni Doroteo's birth record. I didn't see this until now, but here are the links:

Ref 71 on this link:
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html

Also - I have attached a record I found in person when I was in Pisa, I think from a book at University of Pisa (Hospital maybe?) but it was years ago I found this and I didn't note any source details.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Thank you for posting the link to the birth record for Doroteo Dazi. :D

I am not sure where you saw Giovanni in his name, but the record you posted reads: Dazi, Doroteo - trovatello (which means foundling)

Also, I do not see the other record you mention, a possible hospital book?
Can you post it?

T.
MichaelSerchio
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MichaelSerchio »

I'm getting an HTTP error when I try to attach the documents, so please see the links below:

He is inconsistently names as Giovanni or Doroteo depending on the record, but I'm sure it's the same person (I think!). I only ever knew him as Giovanni, as that was the only name ever given on his son's Scottish marriage and death records.

During a visit to Italy about 8 years ago, I found this record in Borgo a Mozzano, which gave me the name Giovanni Doroteo and Pisa 1857:
http://serchiovalley.net/temp/Borgo%20a ... Record.jpg

We then went to Pisa and found the Pisa record (I only photographed the actual entry for him, I'm annoyed at myself for not getting more context) The record is not very long at all!:
http://serchiovalley.net/temp/2_Dazi.JPG

Many years later, only a few years ago, I found the family search records, previously linked.

He is listed as Doroteo Giovanni Dazi here as well:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,350074201
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, the records definitely show Giovanni and Doroteo for forgiven names.

The second record ( the cropped one) is a baptism record. It identifies Maria Orsini, his wetnurse as his sponsor. Not uncommon for trovatelli.

She is also in the earlier record you posted, at the end of the line.

Looking at the cover sheet of the Marriage allegati, it states there are 5 documents included. Unfortunately, only one (the baptism of Maria Elena) was photographed. You can see the corner of at least one other document behind it.

You might try writing to the town for copies of the other documents in this folio. Send them a copy of the cover sheet with any other information you have on the couple.

T.