Giuseppe Antonio Marcogliese

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
marcoglieselise

Post by marcoglieselise »

Hi I am looking to find out about my grand paents and great grand parents. I went to Italy about two years ago, so I kow that they were from Casacalenda, my grand parent name was Giuseppe Antonio Marcogliese, he was married to Congetta Battista, they left Italy in 1920.

They got married in Casacalnda, I thing my great grand fatehr name wa Michelangelo Marcogliese, he never left Italy.
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppe Antonio Marcogliese

Post by johnnyonthespot »

What sort of information were you looking for?

I found this manifest for Giuseppe and Concetta heading to Montreal by way of New York:

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Giuseppe Marcogliese
Name: Giuseppe Marcogliese
Arrival Date: 3 Mar 1920
Birth Year: abt 1891
Birth Location: Italy
Birth Location Other: casacalende
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian (South) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Napoli
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Henry R Mallory

In column 12 of sheet 1, Giuseppe's nearest relative staying behind in Italy is his father, Michele (a proper Italian masculine name, by the way :) )

Lines 5 & 6, sheet 1:

Sheet 2:

Click once to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

You can write to Casacalenda to request Giuseppe and Concetta's birth and marriage acts, like this:

(my apologies if you live in Canada in which case change the instances of "STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA" to "CANADA")
18 agosto 2011 [agosto is August; month names in italian are written lower case]

[your name]
[your address]

STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Casacalenda
Corso Roma n. 78
86043 Casacalenda CB
ITALY

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo [your name here], ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradetto.

Vi scrivo affinché mi aiutiate a reperire:

* Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita

* Copia integrale dell'atto di Matrimonio

per il mio nonni:

* MARCOGLIESE GIUSEPPE nato nel Comune di Casacalenda, in data circa 1891, paternità MICHELE, maternità incerto

* BATTISTA CONCETTA nato nel Comune di Casacalenda, in data circa 1895, paternità incerto, maternità incerto

* Celebrato lo matrimonio nel Comune di Casacalenda

Vi prego di farmi sapere quanto dovuto per il servizio e per i costi di spedizione.

Distinti saluti,

[your signature]

Birth/marriage/death photocopies of original registry pages are called: Copia integrale dell'atto di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte. These are more difficult to read but contain lots of additional useful information compared to...

Birth/marriage/death computer-generated (sometimes hand-written) extracts are: Estratto Per Riassunto Per Atto Di Nascita/Matrimonio/Morte

Most comuni do not charge for these documents. Do send a large, self-addressed (but not stamped) envelope if possible; be sure to put "STATI UNITI D'AMERICA - USA" in the final line of your address. It is also a good idea to include a copy of your ID (driver's license, for example) as some comuni will not process requests without it.

Alternatively, you can try sending the above via e-mail to info@casacalendacomune.it - some comuni respond well to email requests; others not at all.

This is August and therefore vacation time in Italy; many government offices operate with minimal hours and skeleton crew if they open at all. Therefore, you may find your request will take longer than usual to process.

Once you have received these atti, you will find they contain the names, ages, and birthplaces of Giuseppe's and Concetta's parents. You can then write again and request birth and marriage atti for them as well.

PS: "incerto" means uncertain.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
marcoglieselise

I did have most of these papers, but i would like the birth and marriage certificate, so i will use the informations.
rancelli
Elite
Elite

Post by rancelli »

sometimes i feel that it's a waste of time requesting documents. if you know the commune where your ancestors originated from, i would take that route and order the films at your local FHC, that's if you have the time and if the records are available. just my opinion :)

i'm still waiting on a copy of a birth record from alanno italy. i sent a request out about two months ago and heard nothing from them. so i gave up, and decided to order the alanno films and was lucky enough to find the record myself. i'm not saying this happens all the time, but so far it's happened to me twice. good luck :)
marcoglieselise

I went to the village, and did find the place and manage to see some stuff, but couldn't speak good enough to ask copies and I didn't have any appointment so they didn't had the time to fulfill my needs, It will be the second time I am asking for the paers, but I still have hope. :)
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

I have access to the records. I will check out these names on my next trip to the library.

Back Soon,

Susan
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Found this:

Giuseppe Marcogliese was born on 29 July 1891 to
Michelangelo Marcogliese, age 37, and to his wife
Carolina Morelli
Michelangelo Marcogliese was born on 13 Jan 1853 to
Vincenzo Marcogliese, age 30, and son of Pasquale Marcogliese, and to his wife
Maria Elizabetta Tavorozzi, age 28
Married on 28 Nov 1878
Michelangelo Marcogliese, age 25, son of
Vincenzo Marcogliese and his wife
Maria Elizabetta Tavorozzi
Maria Carolina Morelli, age 18, daughter of
the late Giovanni Morelli and his wife
Maria Fortunata Vespa.
Maria Carolina was born in Montone.
Maria Concetta Battista was born on 8 Nov 1892 to
Nicola Maria Battista, age 28, and to his wife
Maria Vincenza di Tomaso
Married on 3 July 1890,
Nicola Maria Battista, age 30, son of
the late Pasquale Battista and his wife
the late Concetta Filacchione
Maria Vincenza di Tomaso, age 29, daughter of
Giovannantonio di Tomaso, and to his wife
Angela Maria di Lalla
Nicola Maria Battista was born on 1 Feb 1860 to
Pasquale Battista, age 30, son of the late Maurizio Battista, and to his wife
Concetta Filacchione, age 23
Giovannantonio di Tomaso was born 22 Jun 1833 to
Francesco di Tomaso, age 26 and son of Vincenzo di Tomaso, and to his wife
Emanuela Polisena, age 25
Anna Maria di Lalla was born on 10 Oct 1834 to
Pasquale di Lalla age 4 and son of Giovanni di Lalla, and to his wife
Maria Giovanna ???ulo (Can't make it out. will look for marriage)
Concetta Filacchione was born 20 Apr 1832 to
Pietrangelo Filacchione, age 32, son of Francesco Filacchione and to his wife
Angelantonia Miserere, age 30 (Miserere is a name from the town of Campobasso possibly)

I coopied the records...and as luck would have it, the library had a power interruption and I lost all the documents. Two and a half hours just dissappeared. As luck would have it I wrote down as I went...which I don't often do anymore. So here is the info You will have to wait for the originals.

I will check again when I can.

Have a great day.

Susan
marcoglieselise

Thank you Susan , I could not find the site after my demand. I am still waiting for the answer after my demand in Italy. If you do have more information about my family ancestors I will be glad to get themM.
Maria Carolina
are on my dad my side
on my mother side
Francesco Sciaraffa (I think he was from Sant Antonio D'Albate
Maria Parillo (no information)