Ceddia or Alessandro Families

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
ceddia

Ceddia or Alessandro Families

Post by ceddia »

I am looking for information about my grandfather and grandmother, My grandfather came from San Nicandro, Italy. His name was Guiseppe Ceddia and he came to the United States in 1907 and 1913. He was born in 1873. He had a wife in Italy named Lucia(?) who died between 1907 and 1913 which is why he came back to the United Ststes. He left siblings and children (daughers?) in Italy. I would really like to find any information related to Guiseppe especially any information related to family in Italy. We would really like to find family in Italy if there are any alive. Guiseppe was a tailor. He went to somewhere in Hoboken when he arived in the U.S and I would like to know who he stayed with in Hoboken. I would like to know if either my grandfather or grandmother were naturalized.

My grandmother's name Maria Alessandro Ceddia. She came to the United States in 1921 at age 19 from Palermo, Sicily. Her mother was Maria Vainisi and father Salvatore. We have information her family that came to the United States and are looking for information on any family left in Sicily or still in Sicily or Italy.

Thank you,

rceddia
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Ceddia or Alessandro Families

Post by Tessa78 »

ceddia wrote:I am looking for information about my grandfather and grandmother, My grandfather came from San Nicandro, Italy. His name was Guiseppe Ceddia and he came to the United States in 1907 and 1913. He was born in 1873. He had a wife in Italy named Lucia(?) who died between 1907 and 1913 which is why he came back to the United Ststes. He left siblings and children (daughers?) in Italy. I would really like to find any information related to Guiseppe especially any information related to family in Italy. We would really like to find family in Italy if there are any alive. Guiseppe was a tailor. He went to somewhere in Hoboken when he arived in the U.S and I would like to know who he stayed with in Hoboken. I would like to know if either my grandfather or grandmother were naturalized.

My grandmother's name Maria Alessandro Ceddia. She came to the United States in 1921 at age 19 from Palermo, Sicily. Her mother was Maria Vainisi and father Salvatore. We have information her family that came to the United States and are looking for information on any family left in Sicily or still in Sicily or Italy.

Thank you,

rceddia
Could this be the death index record for your Grandfather Giuseppe in Ohio?

Joseph Ceddia, "Ohio, Deaths, 1908-1953"

Name: Joseph Ceddia
Titles and Terms:
Event Type: Death
Event Date: 03 Oct 1934
Event Place: Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio
Residence Place:
Address: 213 West 15th St.
Marital Status: Married
Race: White
Birth Date: 14 May 1873
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Year (Estimated): 1873
Burial Date: 06 Oct 1934
Burial Place:
Cemetery: St. Joseph New
Father's Name: Constantino Ceddia
Father's Titles and Terms:
Father's Birthplace: Italy
Mother's Name: Columbia Nardella
Mother's Titles and Terms:
Mother's Birthplace: Italy
Spouse's Name: Mary Ceddia
Spouse's Titles and Terms:
File Number: fn 60482
GS Film number: 2022229
Digital Folder Number: 004001911
Image Number: 01406

T.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Joseph Ceddia
Name: Joseph Ceddia
City: Cincinnati
County: Hamilton
State: Ohio
Birth Date: 17 Jun 1873
Race: White
Draft Board: 3
in 1873 birth is Sannicandro Garganico town, just 1 Ceddia but still born:
1873 index https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1021473125
nobody in 1872 index: https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1169149080
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ceddia wrote:I am looking for information about my grandfather and grandmother, My grandfather came from San Nicandro, Italy. His name was Guiseppe Ceddia and he came to the United States in 1907 and 1913... Guiseppe was a tailor. He went to somewhere in Hoboken when he arived in the U.S and I would like to know who he stayed with in Hoboken. I would like to know if either my grandfather or grandmother were naturalized.

Thank you,

rceddia
On the 1907 arrival manifest for Giuseppe, his destination was to "cousin Antonio Salimanda(sp?) at 407 Fourth St., Hoboken NJ

[Hi suanj :-D -- I also checked 1874 and 1875 index and no birth record in Sannicandro for Giuseppe... ]

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:
On the 1907 arrival manifest for Giuseppe, his destination was to "cousin Antonio Salimanda(sp?) at 407 Fourth St., Hoboken NJ

[Hi suanj :-D -- I also checked 1874 and 1875 index and no birth record in Sannicandro for Giuseppe... ]

T.

Because...there are no names in the 1874 index pages :-(
And here is the link to the index for 1875
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1021473125

T.
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

This is the death notice for my grandfather and we did locate his gravestone. Unfortunately my father was only about 10 when Giuseppe died and he said Giuseppe never spoke about Italy at home that he remembers. My grandmother, who was much younger did re-marry but also never spoke about Italy. She was alive still when I was growing up but never thought about asking about family in Italy. The only thing my father says he remembers is that my grandmother would send money over to my grandfather's family. Thanks for the help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

ceddia wrote:This is the death notice for my grandfather and we did locate his gravestone. Unfortunately my father was only about 10 when Giuseppe died and he said Giuseppe never spoke about Italy at home that he remembers. My grandmother, who was much younger did re-marry but also never spoke about Italy. She was alive still when I was growing up but never thought about asking about family in Italy. The only thing my father says he remembers is that my grandmother would send money over to my grandfather's family. Thanks for the help!
:?: :)

T.
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

Re my grandfather Guiseppe Ceddia: we believe that he had a sister in Italy named Rosetta Ceddia Granito. Any information on this person would be appreciated!
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

I am still looking for information from Italy on either my grandfather or grandmother. I have all the information I can find here in the US but need information from Italy especially on my grandfather's first wife Lucia and any children they had. Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

But you never posted the death notice you referenced in your post above :-)

T.
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

I meant to say that I agreed that was the Ohio death index record for my grandfather that you found and that we found his gravestone here in Cincinnati. I have never found a death notice from a local paper. I would really like to find his First wife's maiden name and his children that he left in Italy and if there are any relatives in Italy. I thought I might have had a lead related to Rosetta Granito (a sister) via facebook but no luck that they could figure out. Thanks
MATTHEW

Post by MATTHEW »

TO CEDDIA FAMILY:
PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AT MY "GENI.COM" CEDDIA FAMILY TREE. I BELIEVE YOU WILL FIND YOUR GRANDFATHER THERE. I THINK HE WAS 1ST COUSIN TO MY GRANDFATHER MATTEO. ALSO MATTEO'S WIFE EMMANUELA HAD A SISTER NAME OF "COLUMBA". LET ME KNOW IF THIS HELPS.
MATTHEW J. CEDDIA
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

I do believe that is him. Do you have any information about his wife or children he left in Italy? I have written to several Ceddia families in Italy and the ones I received answers from were all very nice, but none seemed to think they were related. It is my understanding that Guiseppe had daughters in Italy which might mean a name change along the line somewhere. I have been trying to find information on my grandfather for several years but seem to keep hitting walls. We think that my grandmother sent money to someone with the last name Granito who was suppose to be a daughter. Any info would be a great help! THANKS
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ceddia wrote:Re my grandfather Guiseppe Ceddia: we believe that he had a sister in Italy named Rosetta Ceddia Granito. Any information on this person would be appreciated!
I cannot find the Giuseppe Birth act, but I found the birth act of a sister:
Maria Teresa Ceddia born in Sannicandro Garganico on 5 Apr 1871 daughter of Costantino Ceddia barrel maker, 23 old (son of Giuseppe Ceddia sr) and daughter of Colomba Nardella 30 old daughter of late Agostino Nardella
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348956702

Costantino Ceddia marriage
Sannicandro Garganico 16 Sep 1868
pag 1 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348956702
pag 2 https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,348956702
GROOM- Costantino Ceddia 21 old, barrel maker, born in Sannicandro on 1 Feb 1847, son of Giuseppe Ceddia and Maria Vincitorio
BRIDE-Maria Colomba Nardella (widow of Nunzio Montemitro) 29 old, dress maker, born in Sannicandro on 24 Sep 1838 daughter of late Agostino Nardella and Teresa Mimmo

suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ceddia

Post by ceddia »

Thanks