Looking for info on the RISCILI family of Vicari, Sicily

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Looking for info on the RISCILI family of Vicari, Sicily

Post by Biff83 »

1915 Westfield NY census for Samuel (Simone) Bongiorno and wife Maggie (Domenica Pellegrino) with children James (Vincenzo), Rosa and Rosey (Rosalia) and James' wife Josephine--bottom right hand side image

http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/1074/ifmd.jpg

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Giorgio Riscili and Vincenza Raimondi

INDEX#24
1881 Sept 16th in the town of Vicari appeared Giorgio Riscili age 25 shepherd born in Vicari son of Giuseppe Riscili and Francesca Cavarretta married Vincenza Raimondi age 20 a midwife born in Vicari daughter of Michelangelo Raimondi and deceased Rosalia Parisi
PG LINK TO RECORD

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1049131671

This is the death record of Michelangelo Raimondi father of Vincenza Raimondi
INDEX# 69
1892 Dec 5th in the town of Vicari death of Michelangelo Raimondi age 69(1823) born in Vicari son of deceased Andrea Raimondi and Giuseppa Martorana widower of Rosalia Parisi

CLICK FOR IMAGE CLICK TO ENLARGE

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
movandevelde

Post by movandevelde »

I found a ship manifest on EllisIsland.org from 1895 that shows a George and Francis Riscili coming over. I assume this is Giorgio and Francesco... I find it interesting that both Giorgio (Michelangelo's dad) and his brother came over to the US in 1895 but then when Michelangelo came over in 1901 he listed his uncle as his relative in the US, rather than his dad. I also find it interesting that there was a step-brother (Phillip Calatto) mentioned in one of the pieces. I wonder if Giorgio died between 1895 and 2001, before Michelangelo came over, and then his wife Vincenza remarried? Any idea how I could find this out?

Again, I'm very grateful for all the info you both have helped me find! Just want to keep thanking you...
movandevelde

Post by movandevelde »

There are some inconsistencies here that have me a little nervous. The marriage of Simone Bongiorno and Domenica Pellegrino took place in 1890 (two years AFTER their daughter Vincenza Bongiorno was born). First of all, was this acceptable in that culture? Does it indicate anywhere on Domenica's birth registry that her parents were not wed? Second - On her birth registry it says that Simone is 26, which would have him born around 1862. When they marry two years later, it lists his age as 33, which would have him born around 1857.

Any thoughts about these inconsistencies?
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

You'll need Marty's help or someone else's in translating the bottom paragraph of their marriage document.

I believe the bottom of Simone and Domenica's marriage record will clarify some things since that paragraph references the previous births of son Vincenzo, daughter Vincenza and another son Filippo (Catalo?).

Biff
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Yes they recognized 3 children like Biff says their birth dates are on the marriage act on there wedding day they might have been married in the church not in civil that happen in those days
Simone was 27 at the time of the birth

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Marty, was the year of Simone & Domenica's marriage 1893 rather than 1890?

Simone and Domenica's son Filippo Bongiorno's birth act
Born on the 9th of January 1892 at 8 AM in a house at 11 Via Sant'Angelo.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1550959874

Biff
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Biff83 wrote:Marty, was the year of Simone & Domenica's marriage 1893 rather than 1890?

Simone and Domenica's son Filippo Bongiorno's birth act
Born on the 9th of January 1892 at 8 AM in a house at 11 Via Sant'Angelo.

Biff
You are right Biff it is 1893 instead of 1890 thanks for the backup

Marty

Marty
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I'm still trying to sort out the step brother Filippo Calato. I did locate a birth record for him on 31 July 1892 showing parents Antonino Calato and Domenica Zito.

I also found a SS Death Record for a Phillip Calato, dob 31 Jul 1892, with death in Dunkirk, Chautauqua county, NY near Westfield.

I'm guessing that Simone Bongiorno and Domenic Zito died and their spouses Domenica Pellegrino and Antonino Calato married, and although not related by blood, Filippo was considered a step brother.

Biff
Herk58
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Herk58 »

Just wanted to say thanks to you guys for your research. Like Mark, I am related to the Riscili's, for me it is through my grandmother - Josephine Riscili (Herkey). The trail back from her father Joseph Riscili and Pauline Latona has been a daunting task until I stumbled across your posts. Thanks so very much!

Tom Herkey